Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 13:12   #1

sailor 6222 changing mmsi

Hy all, i have an VHF Sailor 6222 and i want to change the MMSI because i change the name of my vessel.

What i should do?

Kind regards!
cuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:34   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: sailor 6222 changing mmsi

Do you still have your original installation guide. I think this tells you if or how many times you may reset the MMSI. It will only be once, twice or maybe three times. After that, it has to be returned to authorised Sailor dealer for reprogramming.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:55   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm not sure why you need to change your MMSI because you renamed your boat? You need to change the registration data, but the MMSI is OK - it is assigned to the radio, not the boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:28   #4

Hy, i'm tehnician and i have to do it. Have someone reset the MMSI to this MF/HF

BEST REGARDS!
Old 25-01-2015, 15:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuza View Post
Hy, i'm tehnician and i have to do it. Have someone reset the MMSI to this MF/HF

BEST REGARDS!
Hi Cuza, I'm not sure what sort of technician you are but I'm guessing you are not a radio technician.

Your first post described the radio as a Sailor 6222 which is a VHF radio, now you are suggesting its a MF/HF radio. They aren't the same

Try asking the Thrane & Thrane dealer in your country or look here esupport.thrane.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a...1909‎

If you PM me an email address, I might be able to email you a copy of of the 6222 manual
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-01-2015, 16:03   #6

one of the sailers I played with you could reset it by shorting out certain wires in the back. but off hand I couldn't tell you if it was a 6222 or which wires as it was 6 yeas ago and I no longer have the instructions... I doubt it's in the normal manual. maybe a sailer dealer can give you the info.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 21:28   #7

8 and 11pin?
Old 26-01-2015, 02:01   #8

Here's some info from the manual:

Quote:
If you need to change the MMSI number of the SAILOR 6222 VHF DSC use the built-in
service tool and a connected PC, or reset the MMSI number from the Setup menu of the
radio. The manuals for the service tool and the user manual for the radio can be
downloaded from Login.
I think you use the ethernet port on the back on the radio for the PC connection.
Old 29-01-2015, 13:45   #9

Hy, thank you for help, but unfortunately i don't have extranet account, what i should do? How i can obtain an extranet account?

Best Regards!
Old 30-01-2015, 03:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuza View Post
Hy, thank you for help, but unfortunately i don't have extranet account, what i should do? How i can obtain an extranet account?

Best Regards!
Can't help with the extranet account but I can help with some info about accessing the service tool.

A short extract from the manual:

Quote:
The S6000 radio series 1 has a built-in web server with a web interface to set up the radio and channel settings. This web server constitutes the service tool and is intended for use by authorized personnel only. The web interface is accessed from a computer connected to the LAN and is displayed in an Internet browser. Currently only Mozilla Firefox is supported. No additional installation of software is needed.
So you will need to connect your PC (With Firefox 3.6) with a LAN cable to the back of the radio. The IP address of the radio can be found in the SYSTEM SETUP menu on the radio.

PM sent with more details.
Old 30-01-2015, 03:55   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm not sure why you need to change your MMSI because you renamed your boat? You need to change the registration data, but the MMSI is OK - it is assigned to the radio, not the boat.

Mark

MMSIs are assigned to the boat NOT the radio ( except the US BoatUS ones which are not actually real MMSIs) , if the ownership changed you can either have the ITU database updated with the new details ( usually done via your countries radio license authority) or you can delete the SHIPS radio license and reregister a new one with the new name. Its up to the register to decide if you keep the old MMSI number, different registration authorities have different policies in that regard. usually a new MMSI is issued
Old 30-01-2015, 04:58   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OK, so I didn't phrase that correctly. I was trying to say that just because someone renames their boat, they do not need to get a new MMSI. I meant that the MMSI is not tied to the boat name, but to the owner of the boat/radio/license. The boat name is just a field on a registration document that simply needs to be updated.

Are there countries that require a new MMSI if one only changes the name of their boat?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:38   #13

MMSI coded wrong

Dear sailing community members,

I've got the same problems. Some 'helping and curious hands' on board managed to punch an 8 into my band new Sailor 6222 before I had the time to enter the assigned MMSI.
Current MMSI shows 800000000, which we all know is nonsense and renders the radio more or less useless.
I'm pretty "pissed", excuse my language, but this wrong MMSI coding adds to a huge mountain of issues this boat arrived from the shipyard with.
To get access to the backside of the unit I had to uninstall wiper control and the SSB as the shipyard had installed the radios without considering that the backside of the units might need to get accessed at some point during a radio's lifespan.
After a few hours work I managed to plug in the LAN cable into the dedicated port, tried the web server access to the radio and succeeded entering user name and password for administration (as published in the Sailor 6222 service manual).
But then my winning streak came to an abrupt halt: as soon as I attempt to access other options through the radio's server I was logged out immediately.
Has anyone a solution how to gain and maintain access to the administration site of the Sailor 6222 so that I can reset the MMSI?
Any advice highly appreciated.
SuzieWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:09   #14

PM sent
Old 02-06-2022, 07:55   #15

Problem solved. For all in (near) future facing same problem: Old version Firefox 4.0.1 did the trick on my VHF
SuzieWong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail