Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Sailmail on Tablet / Android etc

Bought an Iridium with an Access Point. Supposed to make the phone/device interconnection stone simple.

Quote:
Iridium AxcessPoint

Iridium AxcessPoint allows you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot by connecting to your Iridium satellite phone and establishing an Internet connection – from anywhere on the planet. With Iridium AxcessPoint connected to an Iridium phone, you are able to use your smartphones, tablets and laptops.
So, is there a way to load SailMail onto a Android/Tablet/whatever.

I have a computer, but if I can have a cheap back up, well that is OK too.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:12   #2

Boat: Islander 34'
Re: Sailmail on Tablet / Android etc

I can't help you with your question but if I may ask, what do you pay per minute and how much is your plan per month? I couldn't find a fee schedule on the site.
Spadonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 04:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I buy in 500 minute blocks, about $700. What you don't use roll over to next year, provided you get another block of some size.

Here is a rate sheet

http://www.explorersatellite.com/Hom...me_pricing.pdf
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 06:20   #4

Ouch onthe cost for Iridium. SailMail has an internet access described on their website, I use it when not at sea. But SailMail's real advantage comes using it on the SSB.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 10:39   #5

Boat: Islander 34'

Its actually quite a bit cheaper than I anticipated and would be a good backup when out of 3g or wifi areas. My work is talking about scrapping our office and having everyone telecommute so I have been interested in this for awhile. Thanks!
Spadonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 13:55   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Just returned from Mexico lugging my huge and heavy "notebook" PC, and the only reason I need it there is for using SailMail via HF. I get PredictWind, BuoyWeather, etc. on tablet while in range of cellphone or WiFi, but can't justify the price of Satphone to get universal coverage. What we need is a Winlink/SailMail HF app for Android and iOS that uses the device's USB port to drive our modems so we can run it on tablets and phones. There are already USB com port apps for Android and probably for iOS, so that part is available.

Winlink program is the client for the ham radio version and for SailMail, but Winlink is not available for Android or iOS, at least not publicly on the latest version of Winlink home page - please correct me if I am wrong. Ham radio community probably doesn't have as much need this as we sailors, who must be more mobile and compact. If the sailing community got behind it in force, maybe it could happen.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 21:50   #7

Boat: Riva 48

It is easier just to get a Windows tablet and run Winlink on that (alongside other cool HF programs).
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 17:37   #8

Hey thanks, I'm not up on all the options and I didn't realize you could run any version of Windows on tablets (except maybe a severely limited imitation). I will look into this, and I hope I can run it on my Samsung tablet. I fear it might take more memory than is currently installed.
Old 15-05-2017, 17:43   #9

Boat: Riva 48

It is unlikely it will run on a Samsung tablet. You have two good options: a) a Windows 10 tablet for $99, OK screen, touch, runs most ham software but otherwise slow; b) a Windows 7 tablet, $99, castrated touch, bulkier, lower resolution screen but it has SSD and it will run any older software very well. Both are available on Amazon, let me know if you need links.

Of course, you can also buy a high end Windows tablet but I do not see the point. With the lower cost options you can waterproof it yourself (stuff all the ports with butyl tape or something similar) and use it as an expendable device.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 22:55   #10

Great idea. Azpen 8" for $99 has two USB ports so you can be charging or use wired mouse while connected to the SSB modem with the other port, even has HDMI and a micro SD card reader.
Old 25-05-2017, 15:48   #11

Some great options here, additionally you could look into a subscription app like sailgrib or predictwinds.

There is a free app called "squid" but it was developed for the Iridium GO and I'm not sure if it will work with an access point. It is definitely worth a shot though.
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote