Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11   #1

Sailboat VHF Antenna

Our boat is 10 years old and we have the mast down now. I am looking at the VHF antenna and thinking it might be wise to replace it. It looks a bit weathered and has scrapped it's way under a few bridges (we have a 55' air-draft).

The present antenna is the 3', 3 dB, base loaded, s/s Shakespeare sailboat antenna. We have been happy with it and it seems to reach out there very well. I have an SWR meter and it was working well before we took the mast down, about 1.6:1 if I recall.

We had a new Metz on the last boat and I was not impressed, it had to be replaced within a year.

Looking at the Westmarine site the Shakespeare has some very poor reviews, have I just been lucky ? any advice ?

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: sailboat VHF antenna

Bob,

Practical Sailor liked Digital Antenna but that review is around 6 years old. Here's the link to Digital Antenna:
VHF Marine Antennas - 3dB to 10dB Gain 3 to 16 ft Lengths for Boat Speedboat Yacht Sailboat & T-Top - Digital Antenna

and there was recently another blog on Cruisers Forum about this:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nna-99651.html

What was the problem with your Metz? My stick is out and I was planning on getting one
as it's Coast Guard endorsed. Guess you can't trust anyone in the government.

Ken
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36   #3

Re: sailboat VHF antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Bob,

Practical Sailor liked Digital Antenna but that review is around 6 years old. Here's the link to Digital Antenna:
VHF Marine Antennas - 3dB to 10dB Gain 3 to 16 ft Lengths for Boat Speedboat Yacht Sailboat & T-Top - Digital Antenna

and there was recently another blog on Cruisers Forum about this:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nna-99651.html

What was the problem with your Metz? My stick is out and I was planning on getting one
as it's Coast Guard endorsed. Guess you can't trust anyone in the government.

Ken

thanks Ken, thanks for the link, yes lots of information in that thread. Funny I did do a search on VHF antenna and nothing came up.

The Metz antenna only worked for about a year and stopped radiating, not sure why. I replaced it with the cheapo Shakespeare sailboat unit and all worked well. So it was not the coax or connectors.

I like the idea of a s/s whip instead of a fiberglass rod. I sometimes need to pass under a 56 ft bridge with our 55 ft draft so the s/ whip will have a longer life span.

thanks, Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:54   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Sailboat VHF Antenna

Hi Bob,

I've used the same search string from different computers and received different results or even just changing the order you type the same words in can make a difference.

I guess my favorite is not saving a link and then the next day I can't find it again no matter what I type in for a search string.

Caveat Emptor.

Have a great weekend.

Ken
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, sail, sailboat, vhf