Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 12:12   #1

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
sail mail for mac computers

Does anyone have any experience getting sail mail to work with a pre intel based mac computer - Powerbook G4?

I notice that the posts I have been reading here are back in 2006 when it seemed quite difficult.

Any help would be most appreciated
david
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 13:07   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Just a thought but now one can buy a used, but obsolete IBM type laptop for a couple hundred bucks. Sailmail and others are really quite primitive and don't require the latest and greatest in tech.

Perhaps something to consider is getting a used laptop for dedication to sailmail and reserve your Mac for other use?
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:23   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollitt View Post
Does anyone have any experience getting sail mail to work with a pre intel based mac computer - Powerbook G4?

I notice that the posts I have been reading here are back in 2006 when it seemed quite difficult.

Any help would be most appreciated
david
Parallels will allow you to run windows on a mac with minimal headaches. You will still need a copy of the windows os. You might also be able to do it with Apple's Bootcamp, although I believe Apple is not still updating it. You will still need a copy of windows. There may also be a way of going through the Unix part MacOS by using Wine.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 20:28   #4

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Parallels will allow you to run windows on a mac with minimal headaches. You will still need a copy of the windows os. You might also be able to do it with Apple's Bootcamp, although I believe Apple is not still updating it. You will still need a copy of windows. There may also be a way of going through the Unix part MacOS by using Wine.
Maren,

Note that he said pre-Intel Mac - one with a PowerPC CPU, not an Intel. Parallels is for newer Intel-based Macs.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 20:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
I don't think Parallels will run on a pre-intel Mac, but if anyone is using a newer Mac (Macbook), the newer VMware Fusion is cheaper than Parallels and MUCH easier to install and use -- Parallels drove me crazy. (Yeah, you still have to buy Windows -- occasionally a necessary "evil" for some proprietary business software.) Bootcamp requires you to close down your Mac OS, but Fusion lets you run both at the same time. You can even drag stuff from Mac to Windows and vice versa -- excellent. (I don't think Bootcamp will run on the older Macs either, will it?)

MikeZ
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers