Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 16:15   #1

Rudder feedback sensor mount upside down

Does anyone know whether you can mount the rudder feedback sensor RF25N from B&G upside down. I couldn't find anything in the documentation. And being able to mount it inverter may save me some significant fabrication.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 22:11   #2

Re: Rudder feedback sensor mount upside down

Yes. It will compensate during calibration.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 22:23   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

As Smac said, you can change the port/starboard directions during AP setup, just don't mount it facing backwards or it won't work (don't ask me how I know this!).
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 17:02   #4

Awesome. Thanks. That gives me some more options.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:11   #5

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Combination of upside down and backwards should give you the original orientation, no?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:00   #6

There is no such thing as original orientation. Rudder direction is set via software in new pilots and via swapping wires on older pilots. It can go anyway.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 16:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
As Smac said, you can change the port/starboard directions during AP setup, just don't mount it facing backwards or it won't work (don't ask me how I know this!).
Appreciate if this can be confirmed. Just purchased this and NAC 3. My previous feedback sensor was set facing backwards and worked and I was expecting to use same mounting position. Any reason why the RF25N can not be set facing backwards? Thanks
John29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 18:11   #8

Quote:

Its just a potentiometer (variable resistor) so it only has two directions it can go - for example either high resistance on full starboard rudder or low resistance on full starboard rudder. Can't see how the AP would care if it is backwards, forwards square or round. As long as it is near the center of its range when the rudder is centered and it uses most of the full range of its motion on full rudder deflections, and the AP software setup allows swapping port to starboard, any position should work.
Old 23-09-2021, 18:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John29 View Post
Appreciate if this can be confirmed. Just purchased this and NAC 3. My previous feedback sensor was set facing backwards and worked and I was expecting to use same mounting position. Any reason why the RF25N can not be set facing backwards? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Its just a potentiometer (variable resistor) so it only has two directions it can go - for example either high resistance on full starboard rudder or low resistance on full starboard rudder. Can't see how the AP would care if it is backwards, forwards square or round, as long as the AP software setup allows swapping port to starboard, any position should work.

I can definitely confirm it didn't work on my install. I have the new one I ordered at great expense still in it's box in my shed

And I'm not sure it's a variable potentiometer. I have an inkling it could use an encoder.
Old 23-09-2021, 20:07   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Upside down is no problem for the sensor,but If your RF25 uses ball joints on the link rod,I suggest you mount the ball studs up. These ball joints gradually wear over time & will drop off the ball if hanging from ball. / Len
Old 23-09-2021, 21:29   #11

Quote:
I can definitely confirm it didn't work on my install. I have the new one I ordered at great expense still in it's box in my shed

And I'm not sure it's a variable potentiometer. I have an inkling it could use an encoder.

You are absolutely correct about the encoder. As usual I wasn't thinking clearly! It would be very interesting to know why your rudder sensor was not working in reverse direction though.
Old 23-09-2021, 22:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
You are absolutely correct about the encoder. As usual I wasn't thinking clearly! It would be very interesting to know why your rudder sensor was not working in reverse direction though.

Dunno. I do have the RF300 unit which is supposedly the same mechanically. There is a little arrow on the body that needs to point towards the bow.
Old 24-09-2021, 06:33   #13

Thanks. I spoke with B&G Support in UK. He said no problem mounting any way around BUT the feedback arm MUST be opposite the power cable entry poin when rudder centred. There are a couple of marks that must be aligned above the cable entry. Also of course the arm must be free to rotate to capture both rudder directions.
John29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder