Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 02:20   #1

Boat: Adams 45 Steel Masthead Cutter
RS11 CANbus Engine Data Converter & Raymarine SeaTalk NG

Hi there,

Can I use a RS11 CANbus Engine Data Converter to integrate engine sender signal into my SeaTalk NG network?...I have an I70 and plan on adding an e125 as display and the motor is a Ford Lehman diesel with VDO analogue senders and switches.

Regards

Richard
Aussie Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:11   #2

Re: RS11 CANbus Engine Data Converter & Raymarine SeaTalk NG

I have a RS11, but have not installed it yet. I have an e127 dispay and a volvo penta D2-55 engine. So I also orderd a nmea2000-setalkNG cable.
Since I dont have gauges, only senders, I also bought a power unit for the senders at Noland.
Will install it when it get warmer.
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 13:28   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The RS11 can be used for what you what. I note it isnt NMEA2K certified, but that wouldn't necessarily stop it from working

dave
Old 24-01-2013, 23:23   #4

Thanks guys...Raymarine posted this reply as well...so it looks very promising.

It is recommended that Noland Engineering be contacted to verify that it will support converting data from your engine to NMEA 2000 PGNs. If so, then it may be used with the Raymarine system.

When operating with the latest software updates the new a/c/e-Series MFDs (a65, a67, e7, e7D, c95, c97, c125, c127, e95, e97, e125, e127, e165) are NMEA 2000 certified. Raymarine does not maintain lists of NMEA 2000 engine makes/models as this information is continuously changing and outside of the control of Raymarine. As such, it is recommended that one contact the engine manufacturer with the engine information (model, serial number, etc.) to determine whether the engine(s) features NMEA 2000 support. When interfacing Raymarine equipment to a NMEA 2000 engine(s), the Raymarine equipment must not be interfaced directly to the engine manufacturer’s network backbone. Instead, the engine manufacturer's network backbone must be interfaced to the engine manufacturer’s NMEA 2000 gateway (ex. Mercury MercMonitor, Volvo engine gateway, Yamaha engine gateway, Noland RS11 CANbus Engine Data Converter, etc.), should one be available.

To interface the engine(s), a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng network backbone must be installed onboard having SeaTalkng T-Pieces (SeaTalkng 5-Way connectors may be substituted where NMEA 2000 devices are closely located) for each NMEA 2000 device (i.e. engine gateways, sensors, data master MFD, etc.) which will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng network backbone. The new a/c/e-Series MFDs may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone T using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable ((400mm (A06038), 1m (A06039), 3m (A06040), 5m (A06041)). Raymarine offers SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Male (A06046) and SeaTalkng to DeviceNet Female adapter cables (A06045) as well as Stripped End Spur cables (A06044) to support interfacing third party NMEA 2000 devices as spurs to the SeaTalkng network backbone.

From a minimalist standpoint, a backbone may be constructed from a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector, a pair of SeaTalkng Termination Plugs, SeaTalkng Power Cable, and a pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables to interface the MFD and a SeaTalkng or NMEA 2000 device to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

The following engine data items are be supported when interfaced to a NMEA 2000 device supplying the corresponding data. Support is limited to 5 engines:

Coolant Temp (numerical or guage)
Coolant Pressure (numerical or guage)
Oil Pressure (numerical or guage)
Boost Pressure (numerical or guage)
Alternator (numerical or guage)
Engine Load (numerical or guage)
Engine Hours
Engine Tilt
Fuel Level 1 (vol or %)
Fuel Level 2 (vol or %)
Fuel Level 3 (vol or %)
Total Fuel Remaining
Total Fuel Flow
Total Engine Economy
Estimated Fuel Remaining
Estimated Distance to Empty
Estimated Time to Empty
Fuel Used (trip)
Fuel Used (season)
It is also recommended that the manufacturer of any NMEA 2000 device requiring calibration (ex. tank level sensors, fuel flow sensors) be contacted regarding how to calibrate the devices as Raymarine products do not feature support for the calibration of third party NMEA 2000 devices.

From a MFD configuration settings standpoint, the only thing that one need do is to configure the setting for number of engines (default is 1) and maximum tachometer range (default is Auto).
Old 21-04-2013, 00:23   #5

Greetings All,
I have only just got around to connecting this up. I have a sea talk NG backbone - terminated at both ends - with a 5 way connector being the spur feed to the RS11. Configured RS11 as per third party suggests (Noland)

Will it work with an I70? only?....as I have yet to buy my e125 MFD.

If it is working - will the I70 relevant displays simply start to show data?...even my Tacho (alternator wire) did not work.

Any thoughts?

Monty
Old 15-04-2015, 20:16   #6

Boat: 2005 Bayliner 222 23'

Hi All,

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but what is the final verdict as I just ordered the RS11 and about to attempt to connect my 2005 mercruiser 5.0 to a C80 classic Raymarine MFD on a SeatalkNG to Seatalk converted bus.
crazy_russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 23:04   #7

Gidday crazy Russian, sorry for late reply. All good, after a firmware upgrade and some direct advice from the manufacturers. Can read data via my i70 which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
engine, raymarine, seatalk