Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2011, 05:23   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Routine communications using DSC

I never hear of anyone using DSC for anything other than distress situations. Does anyone use the nifty routine comms functions?

1. Calling a ship identified by AIS to discuss safe passing.

2. Calling another boat you know and whose MMSI you have stored in your radio. (Makes the call digitally then automatically switches to your proposed working channel).

3. Dinghy to mother ship comms using a DSC handheld.

4. Position requests and reports.

5. Polling a flotilla.

DSC has so much potential -- does anyone actually use it?!

Old 20-03-2011, 10:53   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Routine communications using DSC

I have yet to secure my MMSI, mainly because I don't want to buy a new base unit until the AIS models get cheaper, but I received my DSC cert nearly two years ago, and the way we were instructed seem to lead to your number 2 as being the most likely sub-distress use of DSC.

Number 5 is already in use in local racing, because a class fleet ID'd by MMSI and reached via DSC is arguably more exact than just a "party line call" on 9 or 16 or a pre-selected working channel.

We saw this in the 2010 Lake Ontario 300, when comms were a mix of DSC and non-DSC calls as a large proportion of boats retired with damage and/or brown pants after a series of fairly damaging squalls.

Me, I have two DSC handhelds already, and I intend to use them to speak with the "mothership", when the mothership gets a new VHF. Being currently in a parking lot getting re-engined, that could be some time.

Old 20-03-2011, 11:16   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

#1 yes but only on the work boat.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

I've tried but all my cruising buddies say didn't get my MMSI yet or haven't programmed my radio yet.

John
Old 24-03-2011, 17:05   #5

Boat: Helena 1913

Yes, I am one of the few yachtsmen using as often as possible DSC Routine calls, mostly for practice with my crew of future skippers. I am a radio course instructor (Short Range Certificate for VHF radios and Long Range Certificate for MF/HF SSB radios and Inmarsat C), so I use all opportunity to make good use of communication facilities onboard.

Actually, sailing in North Brittany, Channel Islands or Mediterranean as a flotilla of 3 or 5 sailing boats, we make individual routine calls to each other several times a day. Occasionally we call coast stations for radio check by routine call, as our VHF sets do not have the standard Test call function. We also played with group calls to the flotilla. All these functions are really great.

It is surprising and disappointing to see, how few seafarers are actually able to use DSC, in spite of the all the training for thousands of people each year. Any explanation?
Old 24-03-2011, 17:33   #6

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercz View Post
Yes, I am one of the few yachtsmen using as often as possible DSC Routine calls, mostly for practice with my crew of future skippers. I am a radio course instructor (Short Range Certificate for VHF radios and Long Range Certificate for MF/HF SSB radios and Inmarsat C), so I use all opportunity to make good use of communication facilities onboard.

Actually, sailing in North Brittany, Channel Islands or Mediterranean as a flotilla of 3 or 5 sailing boats, we make individual routine calls to each other several times a day. Occasionally we call coast stations for radio check by routine call, as our VHF sets do not have the standard Test call function. We also played with group calls to the flotilla. All these functions are really great.

It is surprising and disappointing to see, how few seafarers are actually able to use DSC, in spite of the all the training for thousands of people each year. Any explanation?
If you are like me I have to read up every year when the season starts because I forget
Old 24-03-2011, 18:24   #7

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have used DSC for routine calls, both wintering in a marina and under way. While wintering it is wonderful to not have to listen to communications in the background but still get a loud ring when someone wants to call me. I just leave the radio on but turn the volume all the way down; the ring is not affected by the volume setting. It is one of the best features of DSC.

At the other extreme, one of the most annoying things about DSC is that an amazing number of people misuse the distress feature. One winter several people kept testing their radios by pushing the distress button - apparently they didn't have the wits to enter someone else's MMSI number and make a private call. Making a Mayday call as a test is wrong, illegal, and just plain stupid. Unfortunately the local official shore station did it a few times too when they first came online (the leading two 0s in the MMSI is a giveaway). One of the most egregious examples was one European nation that sent out a distress signal prior to their regular transmission of weather/notices - I just wanted to scream, right after I peeled myself off the overhead (the distress alert is difficult to ignore - remember, it isn't affected by the volume control). When not traveling with friends I would shut the radio off rather than endure the regular annoyance - rather the opposite of the desired effect. I didn't think they would like to hear from a disgruntled Yank, else I would have burned a few ears...

I really like the DSC capabilities, and as more operators obtain the equipment and learn to use it properly the more valuable it will become. I just wish that on occasion I could reach out through the ether and grab someone by the throat :-)
Old 24-03-2011, 18:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

It's the same problem we had when the old radios(uhf?) were phased out for the VHF system. Remember 2182, 2670? Same for Omega to Loran A then C the SatNav now here we are. It'll take time but I would think in another year or so most we be using it as they see the benefits.
Old 24-03-2011, 19:28   #9

1. Calling a ship identified by AIS to discuss safe passing.
Once every now and again.

2. Calling another boat you know and whose MMSI you have stored in your radio. (Makes the call digitally then automatically switches to your proposed working channel).
Quite often. I really like this feature.

3-5 - Never
Old 24-03-2011, 19:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

In addition to my earlier post where no-one I know has their DSC setup I also go on trips with my club. Can't even convince them to use (perhaps learn to use) scanning or dual watch so we can just start conversations on a pre-selected working channel to keep each other updated.

John
Old 24-03-2011, 20:13   #11

As we discussed in another thread, the CG says that 90% of distress alerts on DSC have no GPS signal and 60% have no MMSI. The thing I find is that I turn off the radio more because the alert is so annoying when someone is trying to nap underway or you're just enjoying a nice sail. I have yet to hear a real distress call on DSC (hear them on 16 all the time though). They all seem to be false alarms. Plus, my radio deprogrammed itself so I have to dismount it, disconnect the wires to the GPS, and send it back to ICOM for reprogramming. I think this is one of the worst features of the current sets--why can't we have more than 2 shots at programming the thing before we have to send it back to the shop? I hear a few folks using it for calls because they all of a sudden pop up on some other channel thinking it's clear after making the DSC connection, but nobody I know uses it.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:00   #12

Boat: Helena 1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
If you are like me I have to read up every year when the season starts because I forget
Pilots learn and practice using simulators before flying. When I teach radiocommunication, we also use VHF radio and SSB MF/HF radio simulators to practice DSC and voice calls on a PC. You can send and receive Distress or Urgency calls without false alerts and you can see both side of the communication. This helps to refresh your skills before going out to sail.

Admittedly, equipment user guides are sometimes confusing and not always well written, so you have to figure out, how to make calls.

In the revision of technical specs (Recommendation ITU-R M.493), we propose a common user interface and menu structure standard for VHF and SSB radios now equipped with DSC.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco Gato View Post
It's the same problem we had when the old radios(uhf?) were phased out for the VHF system. Remember 2182, 2670?
Those "old radios", MF/HF actually, were not phased out. Still very much in use today, including for distress calls, by many including myself.

Quote:
As we discussed in another thread, the CG says that 90% of distress alerts on DSC have no GPS signal and 60% have no MMSI.
You can't send a DSC distress call unless you have an MMSI programmed. Maybe they meant false numbers?

Eric
Old 25-03-2011, 05:40   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have yet to secure my MMSI, mainly because I don't want to buy a new base unit until the AIS models get cheaper, but I received my DSC cert nearly two years ago, and the way we were instructed seem to lead to your number 2 as being the most likely sub-distress use of DSC.

Number 5 is already in use in local racing, because a class fleet ID'd by MMSI and reached via DSC is arguably more exact than just a "party line call" on 9 or 16 or a pre-selected working channel.

We saw this in the 2010 Lake Ontario 300, when comms were a mix of DSC and non-DSC calls as a large proportion of boats retired with damage and/or brown pants after a series of fairly damaging squalls.

Me, I have two DSC handhelds already, and I intend to use them to speak with the "mothership", when the mothership gets a new VHF. Being currently in a parking lot getting re-engined, that could be some time.

You don't have to wait for your MMSI. The MIMSI can be applied for on line and you can print out the completed forms + MIMSI number so that they can be kept on the boat with the radio.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I've tried but all my cruising buddies say didn't get my MMSI yet or haven't programmed my radio yet.

John
Just Lazy or don't know how to do it. ( Or perhaps they don't want to talk to you)
I will talk to you

Tags
communications, dsc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: