Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 12:25   #1

Round the world race

Hi Cruisers, First post, so bear with me. I am doing a round the world race next year and would like to get the best information on the best way to communicate with family and manage an investment account while on the race for a year. I have an ipad and iPhone. I use my ipad with c map nav program works well where I live but don't know if its good everywhere? I start in the UK what sim card is best? If this is totally the wrong place for this please point me in the right direction thanks.
Clipper Race - The Clipper 70
Clipper 13-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 22:21   #2

You best check with the clipper admin. crew comms are strictly limited. On the last race sat phones were a no no,. Some email, but very expensive.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:51   #3

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Round the world race

While on your blue water crossings/legs far from shore, neither product will be useful for communication.
iPhone can only call/text/email with a cell or wifi signal.
iPad is great for navigating and useful worldwide with a nav program. (Built-in GPS models)

I've specific experience with InavX from SoCal thru Sea of Cortez. InavX has worldwide charts--- lots of iPad info on other threads.

Bazzer is correct...The race and training administrators will give info and direction for comm (such as sat phone, ssb, sail mail) from boat to shore during race legs...
I've also sent a PM about status and application process.
Old 21-10-2012, 08:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP
While on your blue water crossings/legs far from shore, neither product will be useful for communication.
iPhone can only call/text/email with a cell or wifi signal.
iPad is great for navigating and useful worldwide with a nav program. (Built-in GPS models)

I've specific experience with InavX from SoCal thru Sea of Cortez. InavX has worldwide charts--- lots of iPad info on other threads.

Bazzer is correct...The race and training administrators will give info and direction for comm (such as sat phone, ssb, sail mail) from boat to shore during race legs...
I've also sent a PM about status and application process.
Hi JP, I have completed level 1training and am booked for level 2 March.
Clipper 13-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:02   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Round the world race

Re family - do not go, stay at home. Alternatively, take your family with you.

Re bank account - leave an authorization with a family member. Then consult things, if necessary via email, phone or sat (offshore - if you are allowed to use one). If you need continuous and good access to online banking (then you should probably not be racing, but) Inmarsat broadband may help!

Take more than one type of ATM/payment card, some odd places do not accept the electronic ones, others do not accept the printed ones, etc., etc.. Variety is the key. Take some cash - some odd places do not accept cards.

Take a device that connects via wifi as well as via mobile (3G etc).

Avoid using Internet cafes for anything where you are using passwords or any other sensitive data.

Avoid using open wifi hotspots.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race