Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02   #1

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
RFI from Air Breeze Wind Generator

I've confirmed my suspicion that the RFI I'm seeing (well, hearing actually!) is coming from my Air Breeze wind generator. I hear RFI in basically all the HF ham bands from 160 meters (yes, the Icom AH-4 tuner can tune a backstay that low!), up to at least 20m.

Is does anyone else see similar problems with their units? I'm trying to decide whether to go up the mizzen to fix it (caps across the hot/negative or ferrites?), or return it to have it fixed - assuming it's an acknowledged problem by SWWP.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 14:28   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'day Beau,

We've suffered a similar condition with our 4 yo Air-X turbine. I believe that it originates in the pulsewidth modulation that they use to regulate output. At least in ours, the RFI does not start until the regulator starts to crank back on the charge rate. At any rate, it is a pita for sure. Contacted SWWP and they suggested twisting the conductors leading into the boat from the turbine. It had taken me many hours to get those wires led through, and I wasn't about to take them back out so I could twist them, so I can't comment on that approach.
Our response is simply to switch the turbine off when on the radio. If you try ferrites or bypass caps, I'd be interested to hear how it works. Incidentally, we've noticed that the RFI propagates for at least a hundred metres or so, 'cause we've heard it coming from other boats on many occasions.

It is a real blight on an otherwise fairly well engineered device.

73 from Jim N9GFT/VK4GFT
s/v Insatiable II lying Mooloolaba Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 15:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Incidentally, we've noticed that the RFI propagates for at least a hundred metres or so, 'cause we've heard it coming from other boats on many occasions.
That's how I first discovered it. We were moored two-to-a-mooring in Vero Beach, and the other boat was complaining that their pactor modem couldn't get a link to any Winlink system. Then they said it began the day before - that's when we thought it was from our boat. We began shutting down systems, and whaddya know - it was our Air Breeze.

I doubly confirmed it when I finally got my Icom 706 up and running.

I put up a post in the RFI sub-forum over at eHam.net to see what the "experts" think!
Old 01-06-2009, 16:12   #4

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36 - Equinox
We find the same thing with our Air-X mainly in the 8 meg range. We find that we must turn off the wind generator and fridge before using the SSB. We also find that it fouls up the autopilot and we are currently re-routing the autopilot wiring in hopes this will help.
Old 01-06-2009, 17:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
We also find that it fouls up the autopilot and we are currently re-routing the autopilot wiring in hopes this will help.
Wow! An Air-X messes with an autopilot? That's some powerful transmitter! I assume you mean the SSB interferes with the autopilot?

Tags
generator, wind generator