Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 09:18   #1

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Reverse Polarity on Wind Generator

I have a Fourwinds II wind generator on my boat. The original one I had was not working. So I bought a second one since I wanted a spare anyway and I was not sure my original one was not working or if the problem was from some other issue.

I have installed the replacement one by simply sliding the old one off the top of the pole and slid the new one on. It generates power just fine when plugged in directly.

I was told that I could damage the generator when starting the engine and getting a surge from the alternator and also that I could overcharge the batteries in high winds and had once experienced that I had a hard time catching the blade and tying it down in high winds.

So based on the above I thought I would put a toggle switch in one leg of the line and mount it right next to the engine gauges. I did that and when I switch the toggle switch to the off position the generator is not disconnected, it seems to reverse polarity and the blade runs backward.

Can somebody explain what is causing this?
Is there something wrong with my installation?
Can anybody explain to me what I need to do to make the switch actually disconnect the generator?
Do I need to find some kind of switch which disconnects both legs?

Thanks

Tags
generator, wind generator