Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2014, 20:16   #16

Re: Request advice on Autopilot spares

Dave is sure right about the spares, whatever you bring it will be something else that breaks

Old 07-03-2014, 20:55   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No autopilot can function without a compass. It cannot use cog without a compass feed some can steer to wind without a compass, but less and less or the newer mideks can operate without a rate stabilised compass.
Our 1998 B&G Network Pilot could do both, and so can our current Simrad/B&G AP.

From the manual: "If heading data is not available from a compass sensor it is possible to use course over ground from a GPS."

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 05:44   #18

Boat: Young 42

Hi all,
I am heading across the Pacific in 2 months (March 2017), and I want to take some spares for my Raymarine ST 7000, like some motor gears, brushes, and a control unit. Any good sources for such items new or used? Can Raymarine supply them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
We've had a Autohelm/Raymarine autopilot system since early spring 1995. The parts that have failed in the last 20 years and over 3500 hours of usage are:

- Original Type 1 Linear Drive plastic sun gear - that failure was due to operator error when we had to suddenly bail out of a very dangerous Western Baja California anchorage - we set the autopilot to take us to safety while we raised the main. We forgot to release the manual wheel lock and the clutch on the Linear Drive did not release as it should when too much torque is applied. I replaced the plastic gears with newer bronze gears in Nov 2001 and have put another 2500 hours on them.

I installed a new Type II 30 amp motor in the Drive unit in spring 2013 at which time the gears, clutch, belt, and Type I motor all looked to be in perfect condition with about 3300 hours on them.

- Internal wire connection in bulkhead mounted fluxgate compass. This was an easy repair made in a beautiful and very remote tropical anchorage. At that time the compass was over 9-years old and had about 2000 hours on it.

- External wire connection for bulkhead fluxgate compass. This was a 12V connection I had made when installing the compass.

- Diode D-19 on the Type 100 course computer failed after 19 years and 3200 hours. This was a known problem with the course computer and was an easy repair IF you can repair component level stuff on a printed circuit board.

We carried NO spares for the Autohelm while cruising but we do have a Sailomat windvane that works like a dream and a Autohelm Type 1 tiller pilot that can connect to the windvane and steer the boat when there is no wind.
Old 27-01-2017, 06:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Service Manual ➥ http://www.olajedatos.com/documentos...ice_manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: