Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 05:48   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Replacing Ship's Computer -- Atom vs Celeron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Audio setup is HDMI to Monitor with headphones at the Nav station, or headphone output from the Minix to a small stereo amp/USB player/FM radio. It's easy to switch between the two outputs using the Win10 volume control. The speaker output from the amp is switched three ways between a mast mounted hailer/fog horn, interior and exterior speakers. The AMP I have is very cheap and a bit noisy (can hear a bit of noise in quiet audio).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This was easy, cheap and works well, but definitely not for audiophiles. Perhaps a higher priced amp, a USB soundcard with amp or a bluetooth device would be better.

I'm using a full size wireless keyboard with media remote that I had at my house (Logitec S510 with remote). I also have a smaller Logitec K400 with integrated touch pad that I thought would be better underway, but but rarely use it. We just get in the habit of placing the mouse on an anti-skid pad, that is also under the keyboard, when not in use. The keyboard has survived lots of salty fingers and a bit of spray now and then without a problem. The keyboard is really your preference.

The built in WiFi with included antenna works very well. I also have an Alpha USB WiFi adapter with a long USB extension cable for more distance; Fantastic value for the cost.

All these systems come with 32G of storage in order to qualify for an inexpensive Win10 licence. The Minix makes this easy to augment with a built in SD card slot. I also use a USB hard drive for backup and long term storage.
I've just received mine, and it's a lovely piece of kit for 120 euros!!

I also ordered a small wireless keyboard with trackpad, but it seems to be just too small to actually type on. But I have some other wireless keyboards on board, so I won't be limited to this one. For most of the things I plan to use this for, extremely little typing is needed. For OpenCPN underway, like you, I have been using just the mouse, pulling the keyboard out on very rare occasions.

For audio, I will buy a mini jack adapter for my Alpine IDA-X100M and see how that works. I realized recently that I am actually not so happy with my speakers after all, so I may upgrade the two 5.25" car type speakers in my salon.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:24   #47

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is not a challenge. Just use a 12v buck convertor from DROK etc.

Make sure it is a "boost/buck" convertor. A pure buck convertor will output about 0.4 volts less than the input voltage once input voltage drops below 12.4 volts. Still easy to find.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 13:47   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

I have measured a number of devices.

The settings are: full brightness, one app running, wifi on.

A 7 inch tablet is way less than 0.5A.

A 10 inch old netbook (hdd, atom) is just less than 1 A.

An 11 inch new netbook (ssd, celeron, 2-core) is also 1A.

A netbook based nav station with all ports running (ethernet, wifi, usb) and a screen off will consume less than 1A. However, since people ask for 17 inch screens this easily goes up to 3A with the screen on and a couple of toys plugged in (e.g. a wifi access for a mobile repeater).

A basic netbook based nav station with all ports on, screen on, AIS transponder and all interfaces/instruments on ticks at 6A in nav mode and hopefully below 3A with screen off and AIS TX off.

Overall, it seems screen size counts most when it comes to consumption. So one can save heaps of juice by just letting the screen sleep while not in use.

Windows 10 devices have endless power saving options. This is great job by Microsoft (if at times leads to some odd pitfalls, like suspending a BT input device in power saving mode).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 16:44   #49
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Intel i5-based NUC, max out the RAM to start.

Multi-use flexibility & longevity.

Expensive new? See eBay. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 19:37   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I run OpenCPN and TimeZero on a very old Dell with a 32" screen. I also have a Macbook Pro 17 (about 2011 model) that can run them both. I normally run both in case of failure.
You don't need a fast computer. I've never seen a need for "marine" computers.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 01:56   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

So I've received my Bqeel Z83v, and I've set up the OS and installed OpenCPN and Open Office and some other stuff.

The graphics are really good, and 4k video runs fine with no lag, stuttering, or anything.

But the machine is slightly laggy in OpenCPN, which is a little disappointing. Could be 2g of RAM is too little. But it seems to be more or less usable

The unit itself is incredibly tiny, and comes with a nice mounting bracket and a couple of HDMI cables.

The keyboard (Bqeel Rii i8) is handy and works, but the keys are just slightly too small to do any efficient typing on, and the touchpad is also too small for the kind of stuff you do in O. So the keyboard is a fail, but I'll use it for other purposes.

I'm hating Windows 10 with renewed passion, but I've decided to use it for a while before downgrading to 8.1, to see if I get used to it at all. Shaking my head how Microsoft could come up with something so bad, right after something so good as 8.1.
Old 22-07-2017, 02:54   #52

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
So I've received my Bqeel Z83v, and I've set up the OS and installed OpenCPN and Open Office and some other stuff.

The graphics are really good, and 4k video runs fine with no lag, stuttering, or anything.

But the machine is slightly laggy in OpenCPN, which is a little disappointing. Could be 2g of RAM is too little. But it seems to be more or less usable

The unit itself is incredibly tiny, and comes with a nice mounting bracket and a couple of HDMI cables.

The keyboard (Bqeel Rii i8) is handy and works, but the keys are just slightly too small to do any efficient typing on, and the touchpad is also too small for the kind of stuff you do in O. So the keyboard is a fail, but I'll use it for other purposes.

I'm hating Windows 10 with renewed passion, but I've decided to use it for a while before downgrading to 8.1, to see if I get used to it at all. Shaking my head how Microsoft could come up with something so bad, right after something so good as 8.1.
What license did you get on Windows? It would seem to be a pity to have a got a bargain $120 PC then to pay the same amount to M$crosoft.

Can you add some RAM? 2Gb is too little I expect.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:08   #53

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Can you get to 7 Pro?

Can you add RAM?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:30   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Can you get to 7 Pro?

Can you add RAM?
I hate the Window 7 UI, so 8.1 would be my preferred downgrade path.

Of course this is a comment on how awful Microsoft is when there is even such a phrase as "preferred downgrade path".

I don't think it is possible to add RAM.
Old 22-07-2017, 03:30   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
What license did you get on Windows? It would seem to be a pity to have a got a bargain $120 PC then to pay the same amount to M$crosoft.

Can you add some RAM? 2Gb is too little I expect.
It's the "home" version and it is fully licensed.
Old 22-07-2017, 03:52   #56

Quote:
I hate the Window 7 UI, so 8.1 would be my preferred downgrade path.
Hmm. Personal preferences.

I support a lot of boxes. 7 is really stable. I love those customers. 8.1 isn't horrible but more maintenance intensive. I charge 10 customers a "pain and suffering" surcharge.

YMMV.
Old 22-07-2017, 04:37   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Hmm. Personal preferences.

I support a lot of boxes. 7 is really stable. I love those customers. 8.1 isn't horrible but more maintenance intensive. I charge 10 customers a "pain and suffering" surcharge.

YMMV.
I'm not speaking from the point of view of a systems engineer, but from the point of view of a user.

Yes, 8.1 is less stable and I occasionally have trouble with it.

But the UI is inspired, and is a real pleasure to work with. The first GUI I've actually really liked. It's the first MS GUI which is not a vapid imitation of Apple's GUIs, which breaks out into a new direction completely and away from the idiocy of Apple's conception of computing. I thought MS had finally grown a pair -- then 10

I'm a tough customer for GUI's, as I'm an old command line guy, having used UNIX for a long time even in parallel with early versions of DOS.
Old 22-07-2017, 06:04   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This device wants 12v. Anyone think I'll blow it up by hooking it up to 13.6v?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 22-07-2017, 06:35   #59
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
This device wants 12v. Anyone think I'll blow it up by hooking it up to 13.6v?
No, if you were asking 15.6V, maybe, but many 12V nominal power supplies are actually 13.8, should be fine.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:38   #60

Quote:
I'm a tough customer for GUI's, as I'm an old command line guy, having used UNIX for a long time even in parallel with early versions of DOS.
rm microsoft
mv UNIX /system

I crack myself up.