Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2010, 19:37   #1

Boat: '88 Hunter Legend 35
Send a message via Skype™ to spinwing
Question Replacing Airmar transducer

New to me boat has old Airmar (Navico) transducers (Depth and Speed). I am replacing both as well as the wind with a Raymarine ST60+ suite. (Depth, Speed, Wind)
The problem is in getting out the old Airmar tranducers. I have removed the retractable plugs but am left with the sleeves. Sleeves and lock nuts are heavily compounded - have pretty well cleaned up one, but it is too well sealed to move.

Options appear to be to drill out the sleeves from the bottom with 2 " keyhole saw. Problem would be to keep it centered. The opening for the new transducers should be the same size.
Cutting down the sleeve with a Dremel type cutting disc, then using a 2 1/2 " socket on the lock nut. Very little room to lever socket handle.
Cutting down the sleeve with a Dremel type cutting disc, then cutting the sleeve with a hacksaw (ala removing a cutlass bearing) and then hammering out sections.

I would appreciated hearing options 4,5, 6 ......
Thanks
spinwing is offline   Reply With Quote