Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 13:57   #1

Replace ICOM M802 LCD

Hi - the LCD display on my ICOM M802 is fading with the center spot nearly unreadable. I have an email into ICOM for repair -- are there any other options? Is the LCD replacement part available and/or is this something that is easily replaced? Any independent repair options?
Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 17:33   #2

Re: Replace ICOM M802 LCD

You can find a copy of the service manual here http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/dow...manual_new.pdf its a russian site but manual is in english. or here Downloads - Summary - IC-M802 Service Manual You can find it other places as well just google for it.

The LCD display is custom to icom, and is generally no user replaceable. Unless your comfortable and have a soldering/desoldering station you should just ship it back for ICOM to repair.
Old 27-08-2018, 06:43   #3

Thanks for the info!
Don
Old 27-08-2018, 10:53   #4

From ICOM, the LCD display is $112, plus $92 or more labor, plus shipping. I'm thinking it might be better to buy a new display for $300.
Old 27-08-2018, 12:12   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you are shipping it back, consider having Icom check and tweak the entire radio at the same time. Parts age, frequencies drift, as long as you're paying the shipping, might as well amortize that out. There may also be firmware or other upgrades that they'd do at no charge.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:48   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Thanks for finding that out. I'm about to send my control head in for the the same problem and now I have to think about it some more, $100 difference..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:16   #7

Not even $100 difference -- I found ICOM RC25 $290 online.

Any ideas on what causes the LCD screen to burn out. I used the radio a two weeks ago to check in with the 14300 maritime mobile net and I didn't notice the display. Checked it out last week and a big oval looks 80% faded.

I'll probably buy a new one w/warranty vs. shipping to/from ICOM and waiting 2+ weeks. I've never had issues with frequency tuning or drift; data with Pactor modem works good.

The only thing that might shift the balance is having the "clipping mod" done to the radio. No-one's ever commented on voice clipping, so it's probably not something I need to worry about. Would be nice to have ICOM go through the radio, make any tune-up adjustments and update firmware, though.

Don
Old 27-08-2018, 18:01   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

But most of the radio is in the big black box? My screen faded over 2 years probably. This year I had to leave it on Chris Parker all the time because I couldn't always see the numbers.
This is a bit like the damn cord thing. At first there was no problem with the cord, it must be the user. Then they admit it and give you a new mic. There is no reason for the screen to burn out. They should be giving us a much better deal.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:46   #9

Dear Don, This defect is very common in all LCDs. There is a polarizing filter on the LCD, a plastic film applied with glue. The sun's heat and the display's own lighting attacks the glue and forms this circle that increases from the center to the tips and makes it impossible to see the information on the LCD. I fix it here every day. In my country, we have great difficulty in buying icom parts, so it pays to repair
yankee bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:56   #10

here is some LCD I fixed
http://yankeebravo.com.br/servicos/r...mentos-de-ssb/
Old 28-03-2021, 03:50   #11

Boat: Bavaria 39
Send a message via Skype™ to Eye Candy

Hello Yankee Bravo,
How do you repair the dim screen?
Do you replace it or do you strip and replace the polarising film?
cheers
Andrew
Eye Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 07:00   #12

Dear Andrew, in most cases the problem is only the polarizing film, sometimes only the front film, sometimes the rear or both. The evaluation only when you dismount to find out. Change the LCD only when there is a problem with the LCD driver that is an IC impossible to replace located on LCD flat cable
Old 28-03-2021, 07:13   #13

instrument /gauge/GPS/fishfinder repair
I have found a fellow who repairs and restores digital boat gauges, GPS and fishfinders that are sun damaged. No charge if he cant fix it!
His repair prices are very good.
I sent him a Icom 802 SSB with a bad LCD and he replaced it for under half what it costs at an ICOM facility.
VERY HAPPY.

His contact. Sam at wmabde0@yahoo.com

He is located in FL, a place called Indiatlantic.

I was very happy to find him and dare say a lot of you folks may be too.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 14:29   #14

Boat: Bavaria 39
Send a message via Skype™ to Eye Candy

Thanks Yankee Bravo, There is quite a bit on youtube showing how to replace the polarising film on LCDs even one video on an Icom 706.
Is it possible to test the screen using polarised sun glasses or would you have to remove the film first to see what a new film would do. I have a friend in Fiji with this problem and he says he would be prepared to wear sunnies to see the radio if necessary
I have my dim screen waiting for me onboard our boat Eye Candy in Vanuatu for whenever we can get back there
Allied39 good to know that repair is possible but we are a bit far from Florida so not an option for us.
Andrew
Eye Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 16:22   #15

Andrew. When removing the LCD, you can usually see the stain and which of the films is damaged, I always want to change both. Without removing the old one you will not get results with glasses. else, there are films of 0 °, 45 ° and 90 °. most of the time it is the right 45 °. The exchange is a very delicate job, the removal of the old one, the total removal of the glue ... etc ... the LCD needs to be very clean to receive the new one. the use of incorrect polarization causes inversion of the screen and the background will be black and white letters. It requires a certain practice and skill.

Tags
icom