Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 23:41   #1

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time
Repairing Caframo Sirocco fans

I have bought 5 Sirocco fans and agree with other forums about their reliability - great product, poor components or quality control. I now have 2 fully functioning fans and 3 sometimes units.

Problem is primarily the speed control and timer buttons - have to push them xx times to the power of 3 to get them to work. Anyone got any suggestions of solutions or workarounds?

(BTW anyone with some spare dough out there want to set up a factory to build a reliable version of the Sirocco - seems that Caframo don't care about their product or their reputation)

TwT
Old 30-06-2015, 23:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Repairing Caframo Sirocco fans

One by one I've watched my 7 Crapframo fans die.
Broken brittle wires
Failed on/off switches
fan blades coming detached from the shaft
If there's a way for these POS fans to die, I've seen it.

At first I was swapping them out at west marine left and right, but finally I just gave up and once the last one dies I'll make sure that a CrapFramo fan never comes aboard again!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:14   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have 9 caframo 747's on board that have worked perfectly for 17yrs now. They are in high use - running about 12hrs/day every day. We also have a couple hella fans, and the caframos beat them hands down in every aspect. Maybe the quality has declined over the years?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:25   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have 9 caframo 747's on board that have worked perfectly for 17yrs now. They are in high use - running about 12hrs/day every day. We also have a couple hella fans, and the caframos beat them hands down in every aspect. Maybe the quality has declined over the years?

Mark
We have six of the Caframo Ultimate 7's, onboard for 13 years now. Only one has "failed", and technically it still worked but just made too much noise for me to put up with. The replacement - about 4 years ago - is still working.

Maybe you guys should just stick with the cheap models like the Ultimate.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:29   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

surprised to read this.. are they made in China nowadays or what's the reason for the presumed decline in quality?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is why i use 02cool instead--cheap , all plastic, can fall from 4 1/2 feet twice before croaking, then ye canmake em go again with a lil crazy glue. caframo--sits dead in my locker waiting.....doesnt move as much air as 02cool, either. oh well.... 25 bux in wal, k or other mart, and off an d running..... have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:08   #7

Boat: WHITBY 42

I'LL STICK WITH MY CAFRAMO. THEY'VE BEEN ON BOARD FOR 9 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM.
THEY RUN 10 TO 12 HRS. A DAY AND BECAUSE THEY ARE SO QUIET SOME DAYS 24 HRS. WITH MINIMUM BATTERY DRAW.
VOYAGER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34   #8

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
I have bought 5 Sirocco fans and agree with other forums about their reliability - great product, poor components or quality control. I now have 2 fully functioning fans and 3 sometimes units.

Problem is primarily the speed control and timer buttons - have to push them xx times to the power of 3 to get them to work. Anyone got any suggestions of solutions or workarounds?

(BTW anyone with some spare dough out there want to set up a factory to build a reliable version of the Sirocco - seems that Caframo don't care about their product or their reputation)

TwT
The Sirocco fans are pieces of junk. We have two on board and both went bad... replaced both and they went bad again. I'll never again buy one of these fans. Instead we are going with the cageless fans

I think you need to distinguish between the Sirocco fans specifically and the rest of the Caframo fans. Those that say "we have had these running f0r 15 years with no problem" are definitely not talking about the Sirocco line.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:00   #9

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

My Caframo Scirocco Fan is still working however it is a youngster at only 3 years old. It is quiet and draws little current. I am somewhat dismayed to hear these reports of them suddenly 'caaking it' since they are expensive little b's.
What other el cheapo alternatives are there for when the end becomes nigh?
I must remember to keep my cool and not get frazzled in the heat of the moment when the time comes.
Michael
Old 02-07-2015, 01:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
surprised to read this.. are they made in China nowadays or what's the reason for the presumed decline in quality?
Yes made in China. Even so the Chinese will make to any quality you want, you just need to specify what grade you want. If Caframo added maybe $10 to their cost they could get components used that would last. The overall design and concept is good, just the execution seems to leave something to be desired and Caframo don't seem to care else they would have fixed it by now.
Warren Buffet if you have some spare $$ please buy them out, fire the production and QC team and turn the products into what they could / should be.

TwT
Old 02-07-2015, 03:02   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
Yes made in China. Even so the Chinese will make to any quality you want, you just need to specify what grade you want. If Caframo added maybe $10 to their cost they could get components used that would last. The overall design and concept is good, just the execution seems to leave something to be desired and Caframo don't seem to care else they would have fixed it by now.
Warren Buffet if you have some spare $$ please buy them out, fire the production and QC team and turn the products into what they could / should be.

TwT
I bought 3 Caframo fans maybe 6 months ago and just checked they are all made in Canada.
If Caframo has really moved production into China and the quality has deteriorated then I reckon I better go and buy 6 more Canadian made ones ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150702_174503.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	104528  
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I bought 3 Caframo fans maybe 6 months ago and just checked they are all made in Canada.
If Caframo has really moved production into China and the quality has deteriorated then I reckon I better go and buy 6 more Canadian made ones ASAP.
Just bought one last week in Turkey to butcher for parts. The box has Caframo & a Canadian address on it on 2 sides but on the underside of box has "Made in China" in English & French. The instructions are in English & French but the inside of the instruction leaflet is printed upside down! Doesn't have any label on the fan itself like your one.
Maybe I should be buying them in Canada / USA to get a decent product and maybe that's why they don't care - all the suckers who are complaining have a Chinese product and are on another continent!
TwT
Old 02-07-2015, 06:05   #13

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Eight of our 9 circa 1998 Caframo fans are labelled "made in China", so I don't think that is something new. Interestingly, one of the 9 fans is labelled "made in Taiwan".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:26   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Eight of our 9 circa 1998 Caframo fans are labelled "made in China", so I don't think that is something new. Interestingly, one of the 9 fans is labelled "made in Taiwan".
That's a Taiwanese knockoff of a Chinese fan.

Only issue I've had with Caframo products is the Stor-n-Dry. Purchased four of them. One started making rubbing noise and slowed within 3 months, and was replaced under warranty. (I had to pay to ship them the old one.) Second one failed after 14 months - two months after warranty expired. Even argued we only use these three months out of the year. No luck in replacement. Had receipts for all and even showed them I purchased four from them and good customer. No luck. Did offer to sell me one for a greatly reduced price, but high shipping cost. I pointed out I could buy one from Defender and have shipped to me for cheaper total cost. "Thank you for your business."
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08   #15

Boat: Island Packet 35

We have 2 Siroccos, 2 Boras and 2 Hellas.

I am considering replacing the really old Hellas with the single speed 743's and adding a potentiometer to make them variable. Seems for less than $40 total ($25 fan, $10 12V timer, $2 potentiometer, wire and solder), would have a better setup with timer and true variable speed?
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote