Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 00:36   #16

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution
Re: Remote surveillance systems / black box

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8273 View Post
There is a new product called Barnacle. It monitors boat systems like the bilge pump, shore power, etc and is connected live by the cell networks.
That about does it for my purposes. I am talking to them now to add a couple of extra inputs. Thanks for the tip Smithy.

Old 07-09-2018, 16:27   #17

Nils, I sure you could commission some tech company to develop such a marine data recorder for yachts but, as a retired airline captain, my guess is they wouldn't cost much less than the nearly million dollars or so they cost for airplane systems.

The maritime industry has similar equipment for ships called a Voyage Recorder but I'm not sure if it is cost feasible for yachts.

jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 17:01   #18

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Most boats use either NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data transmission standards. The two standards are totally different, so different equipment is needed interface to each network.

In both cases you can attach a device to the network which records all the packets transmitted on the network. On NMEA0183, the packets are called messages, and on NMEA0183 the fundamental data transmission unit is called a "frame". Either way you can record all of them to make a record of all the data transmissions on the boat.

Of course, this will not include radio communications. To record radio you will need a separate device that taps into the audio system.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I don't have access to the yacht to retrieve the data unless I can store it for looooong periods. Like 6months"
You may be aware, you can buy 512GIGABYTE *micro* SDXC cards now. About $350US I think, and less than half of that for the 400GB cards from SanDisk and a couple of other prime vendors.
So, long term storage of mass quantities of data (half a terabyte, really? On a postage stamp?) shouldn't be much of an issue when there's any kind of budget behind the "need".
And of course, one and two terabyte SSD's are also available off the shelf, in "card" as well as "notebook drive" form factors. Not cheap, but still only 1/10th of the price that 5 or 10 MEGAbyte hard drives were just 30-40 years ago.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I just tried to download NAVMONPC and as soon as the program downloaded my Norton antivirus program said that it wasn't safe and immediately deleted it.
I am running windows 7 on a laptop. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Al, S/V Finlandia
If you were getting it from this website: NavMonPc, then it is safe. I wrote the program, use it myself, and thousands of others are using it as well. Well, I guess you have to trust me on that.

NavMonPc will record any or all NMEA-0183 data that is sent to it (serial port or TCP/IP). It will display most, but not all of it. But it isn't really a black-box type of program -- it runs on a PC, any windows version up to Win 10 so far, but it has no automated way to send data-dumps to a remote site. You could write a utility to grab the logfiles and sent them off, but at that point NavMonPc isn't really providing much utility.

For what you want I would consider a Rasberry Pi or even Arduino solution. This will be lower-power and less obtrusive. Or, one of the commercial products.

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote