Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 02:47   #1

Remote control for docking, thoughts?

I'm looking at the best options for single handing docking and came accross this remote control device. I know it's made for large power boats but when my sails are down my large cat becomes a large powerboat in its own right.

I'd be interested in thoughts of this device and would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this or similar.

https://youtu.be/q4wRmsXVNuw

http://www.yachtcontroller.com/dual-band

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:59   #2

Re: Remote control for docking, thoughts?

https://youtu.be/-YgENQsq2lE

Another demonstration of a single handed docking of a 60' boat that has a lot of windage. :-)
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:04   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

I have used controllers similar, mainly on larger boats but also on a Beneteau Sense 50 I was doing some own boat tuition on last year. (If you are reading Polux: yes, I liked the boat quite a bit ). Generally these are best with dual bow and stern thrusters, although in the case of the Bene Sense 50 it was a bowthruster combined with fully articulated rotating saildrive. Pretty sweet, provided it keeps working! As you are on a cat I presume no bowthruster? Cats are generally super manueverable by just throttle control between the drive units, and if no thruster I am not sure this kind of system would provide any advantage. Also, the fact that it is "remote" and wireless is of concern to me. I have observed a lot of frustration among friends and colleagues at the failure of various pieces of fancy wireless tech on superyachts of varying sizes. Given what I presume to be your setup, I would have thought judicious handling with your existing equipment plus an amidships line would be the answer. A retrofit system like this, unless you hard wire it and add bowthrusters (somewhat pointless on a cat I would have thought), would likely prove an expensive boondoggle. However, if your cat has thrusters already, and you have the funds, then why not? Just make sure it's hardwired. Remote contoller fine… but have a main controller that is hardwired.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:15   #4

And I see you are "in the market" for a Lagoon 56… I don't know what your budget is, but I recently was aboard a Fontaine Pajot Victoria 67… and it was quite a boat!

http://www.catamarans-fountaine-pajo...42/victoria-67
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 11-01-2016, 03:15   #5

The best option for single handed docking is skill gained through experience. Single handed docking systems should be considered as a convenience but not a substitute for boat handling expertise.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The best option for single handed docking is skill gained through experience. Single handed docking systems should be considered as a convenience but not a substitute for boat handling expertise.

+2

best bet for a large catamaran with twin engines when singlehanded would be a shallow berth and a dagger board.

its easy enough to manoeuver into position a catamaran,the problem comes when getting from the helm to the dock with your docklines before the vessel drifts off

simple solution would be ,once in place, is to drop a daggarboard onto the bottom,thus holding the vessel in place whilst you tie up at your leisure.

no expensive thrusters or electronics nessacary,just a shallow berth!

otherwise not having at least 1 crew to get a spring line on is an expensive disaster waiting to happen
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:25   #7

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

People need to learn to navigate, and drive their boats without depending on some electronic hickey that will fail at the most inopportune time
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
People need to learn to navigate, and drive their boats without depending on some electronic hickey ....
You are competent at celestial navigation then?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29   #9

Quote:
People need to learn to navigate, and drive their boats without depending on some electronic hickey that will fail at the most inopportune time
Well yes… but to be fair that can be taken to almost any extreme. I have met precious few sailors who sailed the world without an engine. And I mean cruise/sailed, not just circumnavigated for some kind of glory. I have met and indeed am friends with one. But only one. How many do you know who cruise sail without engine, and without any other electronic aid at the same time?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:41   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

As a licensed Master for 38 years the answers is: yes. I am not at all opposed to modern electronics, I am opposed to people depending on them with no backup knowledge.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:42   #11

This kind of thing used to feature frequently in the April issues of UK sailing magazines a few years back, as April fool joke articles, but now it seems they are reality.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47   #12

Boat: Amel 50

I had the Yachtcontroller on my previous boat (Ferretti 550). I really liked it and I wish I could use it on my cat (Lagoon 450) also. Unfortunately, I do not believe it will be very effective on my cat so, I gave up that idea.

In order for a remote control to be really effective you need:
1. Two engines
2. Strong bow thruster.
3. Stop the rudders from turning.

If you have these 3 items, a remote control is a great device. I could dock the Ferretti on my own in pretty much any kind of weather.

Good luck.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:52   #13

Quote:
As a licensed Master for 38 years the answers is: yes. I am not at all opposed to modern electronics, I am opposed to people depending on them with no backup knowledge.
Well in that case, 100%
Old 11-01-2016, 08:58   #14

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
You are competent at celestial navigation then?
Any more questions for Tingum?
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:59   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
mmm . . . .first, why do you assume the OP has no boat handling skill/knowledge? He may well just be looking for some technological help, like I am sure you use GPS, but know how to boat handle without it.

second, Do you really have the 'back up' skill and all the necessary tools (rated time piece and sextant) and books (current almanac, tables, work sheet) on board to actually take an accurate sight? And when was the last time you took an accurate sight - 38 years ago, or 1995 or more recently? My question is an honest but blunt one - could you really actually take an accurate sight if your nav system crashed (with your current honest skill level and knowledge and the equipment currently on your boat) or are you just remembering you could sometime in the past?

The last 'for real' sight I took was around 1995 - it was a 4 star sight in french Polynesia. I would not count on my ability to take a sight today. And I don't have a rated clock on board - I might be able to get a time check from the radio, but if the gps is down that might also be down so I would be **** out of luck.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, remote