Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2016, 09:29   #31

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Remote control for docking, thoughts?

Remote technology has matured to the point that it can be trusted as much as any other control system. There are cement pumpers used all over the US everyday without news making failures. About 1/2 of the travel lifts that I've seen in the last year are radio controlled. I have a twin engine trawler with no bow thruster and would rather have one of these than a bow thruster for single handing. For me the issue is sight lines and being able to be anywhere on deck to handle lines. 120 + locks doing America's Great Loup and I can put the boat where it needs to be if I can see the corners (and the boat that is moving in behind me) but in wind and current I can't always make it stay in one spot very long to get a line ashore. I would love to have one and yes I would test the living day lights out of it where I wouldn't hit anything before using it in close quarters.

I have little experience on cats (assuming Hobies don't count ) but it looks to me that absent a helm station on an aft corner sight lines are not that great on the big ones.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36   #32

Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
learn your boat and figger out how to dock without making like a parallel parking beemer driving sloth. one pass, kill engine. done.
once into slip, the dockhands or yourself can pull boat to wherever ye want it. it isnt rocket science--folks have been docking sailboats without electronical magic for centuries. aint a big deal, unless ye kill someone else's boat in the process...
drive into marina, find slip, turn into it, kill engine. done.
with wind-- midships line and ta daa... magic. yes i have freeboard. sometimes there is wind. use it to your advantage. aint so difficult.
remotes make distractions you do not need when docking.
The truth is I agree with you. The reason I'm looking at this gadget is because it allows me to go way much bigger in boat size than I otherwise would. I'm not afraid of handling her out on the open waters. Much like driving a big rig down a feeeway. But parking the beast while not doing damage to others and myself is what concerns me.

I've sailed and power boated. I know in the power boat world even 70 footers are brought in single handed just using 2 engines. But everyone is saying that it is crazy for me to think if doing the same with a large catamaran. It's out of this negativity to me having a large boat that I'm now looking at docking aids.

Thanks Zeehag,
Chaya

Old 12-01-2016, 10:14   #33

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
The truth is I agree with you. The reason I'm looking at this gadget is because it allows me to go way much bigger in boat size than I otherwise would. I'm not afraid of handling her out on the open waters. Much like driving a big rig down a feeeway. But parking the beast while not doing damage to others and myself is what concerns me.

I've sailed and power boated. I know in the power boat world even 70 footers are brought in single handed just using 2 engines. But everyone is saying that it is crazy for me to think if doing the same with a large catamaran. It's out of this negativity to me having a large boat that I'm now looking at docking aids.

Thanks Zeehag,
Chaya
Are you Australian? (I know the location says USA and Argentina, but your handle may suggest another origin) Anyhow I remember an interview with Paul Hogan many years ago where he said something like: "The key to success is to bite off more than you can chew, and then chew like buggery!"

But seriously, a 56 foot lagoon isn't really that big a deal at all. This is not a megayacht you are talking about here, and if has thrusters and with the twin drives you should master it pretty quickly. Larger boats are not intrinsically more difficult than smaller ones, necessarily. The key is to do everything S.L.O.W.L.Y.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Get the boat, try it out, only if you find it a severe difficulty at that point consider further fancy gizmos. Personally I don't think you will likely find it a problem after a wee bit of practise.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 17:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Are you Australian? (I know the location says USA and Argentina, but your handle may suggest another origin) Anyhow I remember an interview with Paul Hogan many years ago where he said something like: "The key to success is to bite off more than you can chew, and then chew like buggery!"

But seriously, a 56 foot lagoon isn't really that big a deal at all. This is not a megayacht you are talking about here, and if has thrusters and with the twin drives you should master it pretty quickly. Larger boats are not intrinsically more difficult than smaller ones, necessarily. The key is to do everything S.L.O.W.L.Y.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Get the boat, try it out, only if you find it a severe difficulty at that point consider further fancy gizmos. Personally I don't think you will likely find it a problem after a wee bit of practise.
I was born where the southern cross shines brightest. Where the people are noble and brave. In a land of golden beaches, rugged mountain ranges and a country that is the largest Island continent in the world. Yes I am an Australian. I Went walkabout many years ago but I still have the emu and kangaroo on my blue coloured passport. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement on single handing a bigger catamaran. Slow and steady with heaps of practise. Great advise.

Thanks and cheers,
Chaya
Old 02-06-2017, 14:52   #35

Boat: Hybrid PDQ 44 Cat Ion

A quick comment about Yachtcontroller. Do not believe their advertising, they speak with forked tongue. We have a Yachtcontroller system (joysticks and wireless controller) on a custom power catamaran with Twin Disc controls and it won't control the engine RPM due to a software limitation which makes the whole system useless in anything greater than a 5 kt wind as the engines are stuck in idle. Also, when I asked for my money back they basically told me to take a hike. Beware.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
A quick comment about Yachtcontroller. Do not believe their advertising, they speak with forked tongue. We have a Yachtcontroller system (joysticks and wireless controller) on a custom power catamaran with Twin Disc controls and it won't control the engine RPM due to a software limitation which makes the whole system useless in anything greater than a 5 kt wind as the engines are stuck in idle. Also, when I asked for my money back they basically told me to take a hike. Beware.
thanks for that heads up.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Saba 50' - Ex-Factory 9/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
I had read about the same limitation and had largely given up on a Yachtcontroller. I met with their rep at the 17 Miami show and was assured they now had the ability to control engine RPM (I inquired specifically regarding ~50' FP and Lagoon cats.)

It's possible he was feeding me a line as I haven't taken any further steps to verify - but if the system worked as advertised, it seems to be a great single/short handed piece of kit.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42   #38

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Headed west to get further away from the coast and then headed South.
That's a typo, right? When you're on the east coast you need to head east to get farther away from the coast. And I'm sure you'll get some blowback for relying on the lights on shore. What would you have done during the great northeastern blackout of 1965? Not to mention those electrically lighted aids to navigation that might suddenly quit working.

Fabbian
Old 08-08-2017, 10:00   #39

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
People need to learn to navigate, and drive their boats without depending on some electronic hickey that will fail at the most inopportune time
This brings to mind a similar discussion on Phoenician net when all the old salts mocked the newbies for relying on astrolabes. "People need to learn to navigate by recognizing the shape of headlands and reading portalan charts without relying on some mechanical doohickey whose pivot pin will break at the most inopportune time."

For those who don't remember Phoenician net, it was a precursor to the Internet. Instead of copper wire and fiber optic cable it used parchment as a transmission medium. One of the nice things about it was by the time the gripes from the old salts reached their destination enough time had passed that astrolabes were widely accepted and the flame war died down much more quickly than the modern ones.

Fabbian
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
I had read about the same limitation and had largely given up on a Yachtcontroller. I met with their rep at the 17 Miami show and was assured they now had the ability to control engine RPM (I inquired specifically regarding ~50' FP and Lagoon cats.)

It's possible he was feeding me a line as I haven't taken any further steps to verify - but if the system worked as advertised, it seems to be a great single/short handed piece of kit.
I had a Yacht controller system on a 72 Nordlund. The only way it was supposed to controller speed was the momentary toggle switches for forward and reverse. I would think liability issues would keep them from being able to control the throttle. It was used strictly for docking and anchoring.

Tags
dock, Docking, remote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: