Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2019, 11:01   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
refurbished IPad older iOS?

Hi
looking at refurbished IPads to add another layer of redundancy to my windows and android tablets.
Where do I need to draw the line on their iOS,noticing they sale with iOS v 7 all the way up to 10.
Understand the latest upgrades the better,is there a version not longer viable to use with current array of electronic charts?
PS
I know about GPS and cellular options required,lets live those out of the opinions.
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:08   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: refurbished IPad older iOS?

This is not helping you at all, but I feel compelled to mention it.

Apps update according to the OS that is being supported. I am sure you are very aware of that. At least with Android, one can find an older version of the app that supports an older version of the OS.

However, Apple is not that generous. Once an OS is obsolete so is the app that was using that OS. One cannot go and search for an older app. Unless one has jailbroken their IOS device.

So I think you are limited to what app is available for what IOS, not the other way around. JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 15:37   #3

right,never been into Apple,Amazon has these refurbished units at a nice discount,there are not many navigation apps that are not available for either Android or Win.,just cannot overlook a "deal"
Old 13-02-2019, 15:55   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
This is not helping you at all, but I feel compelled to mention it.

Apps update according to the OS that is being supported. I am sure you are very aware of that. At least with Android, one can find an older version of the app that supports an older version of the OS.

However, Apple is not that generous. Once an OS is obsolete so is the app that was using that OS. One cannot go and search for an older app. Unless one has jailbroken their IOS device.

So I think you are limited to what app is available for what IOS, not the other way around. JMHO
This is not strictly true. I don't know what the critereon is but when my original iPad crashed I was able to redownload about half of the apps. It would warn me that the app I wanted would not run on my OS and ask me if i wanted to download an earlier version.

And to answer the OP's original question, while I don't recommend trying it, I use my original iPad , running an ancient version of Navionics just fine. I use it to record tracks; occasionally it has turned itself off on me (I leave it on the chart table ) but other than that it runs fine, downloads new charts, and shares tracks with my iPhone which runs the latest and greatest version.
Old 13-02-2019, 16:05   #5

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Well, that is good to know. I am not an Apple guy. My preference is Android because I can do things I cannot do on an Apple device. Then it sounds like the OP can get the older device and still be able to get older apps that are supported by that OS.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 17:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Prior to its untimely demise my iPad 2 with the fat plug was running iNavx ok. The issue with the older devices is memory and processor. The device just got slow.

FYI, if you have a Vesper that throws NMEA0183 data via WiFi, you don’t need the GPS or can turn off the iPad GPS and take location info from the WiFi.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 17:23   #7

I would go with the Ipad Air Gen 1. These are available on Ebay (with cellular to get GPS) for about $150. They run the current IOS (12.1.4). You save very little by going to older models.

The Ipad Air Gen 2 is ever so slightly faster and the screen less reflective but you won't notice it unless they are side-by-side. My Gen 1 is very snappy with navigation apps.

Also, no need to pay for a lot of memory if this is just for navigation. I have one with just 16GB of memory and that is sufficient for a dozen marine related apps as well as complete stored charts for Maine to Bahamas simultaneously for Navionics and AquaMap

Many of these were sold to large corporations for staff training events and are now being sold off on Ebay by brokers. The one I got looked like it had been hardly used.

2nd choice would be an Ipad Mini 2 or later which also supports IOS 12. A very handy form factor for the cockpit.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 18:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I would go with the Ipad Air Gen 1. These are available on Ebay (with cellular to get GPS) for about $150. They run the current IOS (12.1.4). You save very little by going to older models.

The Ipad Air Gen 2 is ever so slightly faster and the screen less reflective but you won't notice it unless they are side-by-side. My Gen 1 is very snappy with navigation apps.

Also, no need to pay for a lot of memory if this is just for navigation. I have one with just 16GB of memory and that is sufficient for a dozen marine related apps as well as complete stored charts for Maine to Bahamas simultaneously for Navionics and AquaMap

Many of these were sold to large corporations for staff training events and are now being sold off on Ebay by brokers. The one I got looked like it had been hardly used.

2nd choice would be an Ipad Mini 2 or later which also supports IOS 12. A very handy form factor for the cockpit.
=======================
thank you
did not know they are so affordable,just to try,thanks
Old 13-02-2019, 18:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Prior to its untimely demise my iPad 2 with the fat plug was running iNavx ok. The issue with the older devices is memory and processor. The device just got slow.

FYI, if you have a Vesper that throws NMEA0183 data via WiFi, you don’t need the GPS or can turn off the iPad GPS and take location info from the WiFi.
======================================
thank you,have the Vesper Vision I believe can then use the GPS from the Vision,glad I posted,I guess I am totally high tech illiterate
thanks
Old 13-02-2019, 18:39   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Beware of "refurbished" ipads from anywhere other than Apple. There's no such thing officially, just second-hand ones sold on with unspecified ages of battery etc. The Apple refurbished site has ones that are effectively as-new.

The most recent you can afford will continue to get more iOS updates and app updates for longer than you buying an old one.

But remember that the price of a new iPad (particularly the new lower price for the standard generation 6 one) is for a much faster device with a considerably longer useful life than an older model. Models mentioned above are 8 years old (ipad 2) and 6 years old (ipad Air 1). I have both of these, and they are still working, but of course a new one is likely to be a good device for another 6 or 8 years whereas these are most definitely long in the tooth.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 08:32   #11

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Just to throw in my ha'penny worth, I know when I was looking around for a cheap used ipad 9", to use purely for navigation, using Navionics, I was told not to get anything that could not run IOS 9.0 or later, that effectively meant Ipad 2s or later, so I picked up a 9" Ipad 2 with 64Gb of memory for about £90 on Ebay which works a treat. It is clearer and easier to use than the Navionics I have on my Raymarine E7 plotter (7" inch). Just as an additional FYI, It used to have problems keeping up with the power draw even with the charger plugged in, would run down to less than 10% at the end of a long day, then after one of the Navionics updates, it stopped having that problem, so I guess Navionics was aware of the problem and reduced the power draw of their program.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:24   #12

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

I also use IPad Gen 1 and my Vesper AIR with WiFi for navigation and communication both at Nav Station and at Helm (not bright enough in full sun but great in bad weather and night watches) I use a LifeProof waterproof case without a front screen so your touching the glass surface directly. Additionally I have a light baffle on the back of the unit on the helm to reduce heating from the sun which will overheat the IPad and it will turn off... purchased used, have redundant units.. three years without a problem running OP 12.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:27   #13

Boat: Pearson 30

Hello,

i just went through the ipad/nav software purchase process.

iNavX now requires ios 10.0 or higher. Ipad 3 no longer supported
by Apple and highest ios is 9.0 something. I just just replaced my
Ipad 3 with a 4 which is still supported by Apple and has 10.0 os.

I also upgraded to 32 gb up from 16, and 16 seems to be the minimum for
iNavX.

I'm also--just today--looking at navionics, and downloaded their
free Boating App--I may prefer Navionics, need to check it out furthur.

Ipad 4 with GPS sells on eBay for $90-100.

Good luck!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 17:07   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Beware of "refurbished" ipads from anywhere other than Apple. There's no such thing officially, just second-hand ones sold on with unspecified ages of battery etc. The Apple refurbished site has ones that are effectively as-new.

The most recent you can afford will continue to get more iOS updates and app updates for longer than you buying an old one.

But remember that the price of a new iPad (particularly the new lower price for the standard generation 6 one) is for a much faster device with a considerably longer useful life than an older model. Models mentioned above are 8 years old (ipad 2) and 6 years old (ipad Air 1). I have both of these, and they are still working, but of course a new one is likely to be a good device for another 6 or 8 years whereas these are most definitely long in the tooth.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 12:23   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
iNavX now requires ios 10.0 or higher. Ipad 3 no longer supported by Apple and highest ios is 9.0 something. I just just replaced my Ipad 3 with a 4 which is still supported by Apple and has 10.0 os.
This caught my eye b/c I’m running iNavx on an old iPad 3 (1st retinal display model). This dates back to 2012. It stopped being supported some time ago, and I only run iOS 9.3.5, but iNavx is still running. Seems to be fine.

The app does indeed state it requires iOS 10.0. But my version on my iPad says it is the current iNavx version 5.5.2

Tags
Ipad, Refurb