Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 09:36   #16

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Redundant GPS antennas on NMEA2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Interesting. I plan to set up WiFi before radar so that I can mirror the Zeus display (at chart table) from the helm or any where else on the boat. Once that is operational I'll go to the radar. Have you decided on a location for the dome?
As to GPS the Navico man told me that their ZG100 is essential to get accurate heading data into the system. You might want to look into that, too.
Head spinning yet? Mine is!
Yes my head is definitely spinning! Glad to know you're going through a similar installation. Let's keep in touch as things progress, it might help reduce the redundancy of our thought processes.

I'm replacing an older Furuno radar dome and the B&G dome will fit on the swivel platform that is already up on the mast. With a little luck I should be able to pull the new radar cable in place as I pull the old one out of the mast at the keel step. If it's not pushing my luck I will also pull a power cable through for an electric horn that I want to install under the dome. I still need to figure out how I will connect the cable ends in a strong/streamlined manner.

My boat already has a NMEA 2000 backbone that I will plug the B&G devices into. One of the bigger jobs will be replacing the cockpit pedestal guard with a taller one and installing my Zeus2 in the cockpit (I've got another thread on that). I'm also planning on an AIS transceiver and splitter, but again I will work on that after the GPS + Radar are in place and operational. I feel like plugging in more devices as needed like the wifi antenna + AIS will be expensive but relatively easy. I have plenty of room near my backbone to mount new devices as needed.

I hadn't considered the heading sensor but chances are I will need that as well (ugh). If there is anything else you know I will need please speak now or hold your peace!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 15:59   #17

Boat: DownEaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I hadn't considered the heading sensor but chances are I will need that as well (ugh). If there is anything else you know I will need please speak now or hold your peace!
Sounds like you have all the bases covered.
As I don't have any radar I have to pick a location. Should have done this earlier this year when the mast was on the ground! Will look at stern pole as a possibility. I would like to have an AIS transceiver but plan to go for a VHF radio with AIS receiver. Probably B&G or Simrad. Since you are into Maretron have you looked at their network planning software (N2K Builder). Useful and fun.
Yes, do keep in touch...
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 06:45   #18

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Brookhouse sells (or sold, mine is a few years old) an NMEA multiplexer that features the ability to connect 2 GPS units, one of which configures as primary, the other as secondary. It reads secondary if data from primary is lost, otherwise only sends on data from the primary.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54   #19

Can you guys verify that there is no difference between Lowrance, Simrad and B&G when it comes to the NEP-2 expansion port and the WIFI-1 module manufacturers? I'm trying to find the best price and I don't think there is a compatibility issue with my B&G Zeus2 but wanted to be sure. Defender has a NEP-2 from Lowrance and a WIFI-1 from Simrad, for example. If I need to buy B&G branded products I will need to look for a different retailer.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:17   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yup

I use a lowrance 3G radar, simrad NSS8 MFD, B&G wind speed/direction vane, lowrance Wi-fi and simrad NEP-2.

There ARE a couple of differences about what connectors come with some stuff - I think the simrad version of the wi-fi module maybe comes with simnet connectors as opposed to the nmea2000 of the lowrance module. Just double check before you buy but even then it's really simple to just snip off the end and attach the correct end. Simnet and NMEA2000 use the same wires for the same signals basically.

But as far as the units themselves, they use the same hardware. If it's nmea2000, it'll work.
Old 06-02-2017, 13:06   #21

Thanks for the input.

So let me see if I've got this right... I'm installing the B&G Zeus2 9" along with the WIFI-1 (for the purpose of mirroring the plotter on an ipad) and 3G radar (for the purpose of having radar). I need the NEP-2 because the Zeus2 only has one ethernet port and both wifi and radar require ethernet connections. Other things like AIS will operate through NMEA2000 without an ethernet link. Is that right?
Old 06-02-2017, 13:18   #22

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

So let me see if I've got this right... I'm installing the B&G Zeus2 9" along with the WIFI-1 (for the purpose of mirroring the plotter on an ipad) and 3G radar (for the purpose of having radar). I need the NEP-2 because the Zeus2 only has one ethernet port and both wifi and radar require ethernet connections. Other things like AIS will operate through NMEA2000 without an ethernet link. Is that right?
You'll need the radar interface box to do anything like MARPA or radar overlay. R10 is the unit name, it combines NMEA and ethernet data from the radar. You'll need an electronic compass as well, but if you've got an AP you probably have one anyway.

The wifi-1 has TWO ethernet ports on it - so I think you can get away without the NEP-2!

I only have the NEP-2 because I have my wi-fi booster hooked up as well, meaning I can get internet and the instruments on one network.
Old 06-02-2017, 13:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

The wifi-1 has TWO ethernet ports on it - so I think you can get away without the NEP-2!
Wow this is huge! Thanks for pointing that out. B&G tech support told me I needed the NEP-2 but I don't think they took the WIFI module into consideration, and I certainly hadn't realized it either.

Yes I've got the radar interface box already as it came with the plotter+radar combo. I've also got a Maretron Solid State compass (SSC-200) already plugged in to my NMEA 2000 that I'm hoping will also enable radar overlay. Any idea if this will do the trick?

This has been a learning experience for sure... Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2017, 13:32   #24

Quote:
Wow this is huge! Thanks for pointing that out. B&G tech support told me I needed the NEP-2 but I don't think they took the WIFI module into consideration, and I certainly hadn't realized it either.

Yes I've got the radar interface box already as it came with the plotter+radar combo. I've also got a Maretron Solid State compass (SSC-200) already plugged in to my NMEA 2000 that I'm hoping will also enable radar overlay. Any idea if this will do the trick?

This has been a learning experience for sure... Thanks for the help.
Yup should work just fine. NMEA2000 makes everything so much easier.

And happy to help! I think both wi-fi ports are enabled by default and it SHOULD just plug and play, but you may need to maybe change a couple of settings once you hook it up to get everything shunting the right way. Makes sense as I think the reason it has two ethernet ports are for installations like yours. People would be a lot less keen on buying a wifi-1 if they then had to splash out an extra 300 bucks on a port expansion!
Old 06-02-2017, 13:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Yup should work just fine. NMEA2000 makes everything so much easier.

People would be a lot less keen on buying a wifi-1 if they then had to splash out an extra 300 bucks on a port expansion!
Yeah I was pretty pissed about the added expense myself ("That's how they get ya"), but probably would have gone ahead anyway if you hadn't said something. I definitely owe you a beer!
Old 06-02-2017, 13:46   #26

Boat: Sabre 38

OC, not sure if you have been following the Zeus3 thread, but it was pointed out recently that the NEP-2 is nothing but an Ethernet switch, which can be purchased for $50 if you DIY the connectors. Just in case you need it one day...

5 Port Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Wall Mountable - SW-005 - Brainboxes - Ethernet, IO, & Serial Cards
Bob will let us know how it works out.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:14   #27

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

OC,

I have an SSC200 providing heading info for my 4G radar and it works great, you should have no problems...
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:07   #28

Awesome, thanks all. If you don't hear any more panicked queries from me that means it all worked out great!
Old 11-02-2017, 15:59   #29

Quote:
Awesome, thanks all. If you don't hear any more panicked queries from me that means it all worked out great!
Spoke too soon... any of you know if the Navico yellow 5-pin ethernet cables can be cut and re-spliced? I'm installing my Zeus2 on a platform attached to the Edson pedestal guard tubing (thanks to MaineSail's guidance... Chart Plotter Mount For Edson Pedestals Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com). The yellow connector itself would require a 3/4" hole in the 1" SS tubing to pass the wires though, which seems excessively large. Is there a splicing solution for the Navico 5-pin or is it better to just drill a big ol' hole?
Old 11-02-2017, 20:42   #30

Boat: Sabre 38

Funny enough I just did this today. Both the hole and splice. The hole is large, but I am now able to pass all four cables my Zeus2 requires (2000, 0183, Ethernet, power). Took a grinder to get the job done. Hole is maybe 1" by 3/4". Still need to work on a grommet solution. And the tubing seems plenty strong still.

The Ethernet cable can be spliced just like any other Ethernet cable. I cut my 5 foot cable into half, spliced Cat 5 connectors on either end and will be using a patch cable and couplers to lengthen the run. Will do some combination of heat shrink, butyl tape and electrical tape to get a water tight seal on the coupler. As long as you splice the wires (plus ground) in the same order on both sides, there shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't fired it up yet.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, gps, nmea