Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50   #1

Boat: C&C 27 MkIII
Recommendations on Instrument Setup

I'm pondering. I have a Raymarine SPX-5 wheelpilot and both the ST6002 and p70 instruments as well as the necessary cabling kit to interface the p70 to the SPX-5 course computer (thank you Westmarine close-out sale!).

I also acquired from a local private seller a brand-new-in-the-box ST-60+ wind instrument - the full kit with masthead transducer and cable.

My existing 'instrumentation' is an ancient Simrad IS12 Combi with separate depth and speed transducers. Depth transducer is a 200kHz Airmar and the speed is standard Airmar which had the paddlewheel replaced 2 years ago. All working fine and I believe the transducers could be connected to either ST60+ or i50 instruments. Same goes for the ST60+ wind transducer - I believe it will work on an i60 wind instrument.

So .... should I buy a ST60 or St60+ tridata (probably new or used eBay purchase) or buy a i50 tridata and a i60 wind control head? I think overall the costs should be about the same, regardless of how I configure it, given I'll have instruments to sell to offset.

So it comes down in my book to Seatalk vs Seatalkng.

My chartplotter is a Standard Horizon CP190i (NMEA 0183).

I'm only thinking of the Tridata units here as I have a 3-instrument Navpod for the helm. So regardless I'd end up with wind, speed/depth and autopilot heads.
Van_Isle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum