Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2015, 18:29   #31

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Recommendations on a Masthead/Anchor light?

Originally Posted by andrewembassy View Post
I went to the top of my new C&C 34's mast the other day to check out the sheaves and see why our masthead light wasn't working, and in the process of removing the cap the small bolts that held the cap on sheared off, meaning it's time to replace the fixture.

There seems to be a lot of options for masthead/anchor lights, but many of them seem to focus their light in a horizontal band; I want to make sure that the light is able to illuminate my wind indicator.

Has anybody replaced theirs recently and if so, what did you use?
Back before BIBI dropped out, I worked with them to develop a Windex light since Windex didn't seem to be interested. It is powered by a drop wire from the Aquasignal tower so its on when the nav light is on. You may need to do some leg work to repeat this. I will include photos of the Aquasignal Tower and BIBI light The BIBI is a donut that clamps on the mounting shaft of the Windex. It shined too much to the sides so I added a PVC pipe protection cap as a shield. Aquasignal has Marine Beam nav bulb replacements with sector dividers.

The nice thing about this Windex light is it is directly below the vanes and only shines up so can't be confused with any other nav light. BIBI wired several matched small LEDs in a festoon appropriate to our voltage. These are potted in epoxy (so waterproof). The problem is to find small enough bulbs. It takes very little light to illuminate the tabs. I would say Radio Shack if there is still a store around you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9466.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	109565   Click image for larger version

Name:	windex 8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	109566  

Name:	windex 13 bagi_afi.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	109567   Click image for larger version

Name:	windex 14 bagi.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	109568  

Name:	windex 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	109569  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 01:04   #32

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

I can recommend this one. The link above to the Naviled store above actually shows the standard filament fitting, not the LED version.

2 NM NaviLED TRIO Tri Colour Navigation Lamp - Navigation Lamps, Tri Colour - Hella Marine

I have this fitting as a masthead tri colour for sailing. The windex is aft of the tricolour. The white sector illuminates it well.

For under way, under power, I have a "Masthead light" (225 degrees) further down the mast, a set of sidelights on the cabin sides, and a sternlight on the arch.

KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 02:25   #33

Location: Gibraltar waiting for the Schengen clock, headed to the Med this fall
Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
But in no way is the white lense of a tricolor a mast head light.

The tricolor is used only under sail.

The mast head light is used only under power and is to be above the bow nav lights by several meters and turned off when under sail.
You are correct. I made a mistake when reading the Navigation Rules last night, and did not carefully read the very material I was quoting. Thank you BadSanta for correcting me. The internet was out of commission until this morning, so this is the first chance I've had to post.

So, to the OP, my statement that the white portion of the tricolor is our masthead light was obviously in error, and please disregard it. However, to your original question, the tricolor does a very good job of illuminating the windex when under sail.

steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

anchor, head, mast, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: