Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 09:32   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Recommendations for SIMPLE depth & speed

We have two through hulls in our Gulf 32 that (presumably, before us) used to host a speed transducer and a depth sounder transducer. One now just has the plug in it and one has the old, non functioning speed transducer in it.

We have no depth sounder currently (there was also a through the hull style one but it doesn't work either), and the existing through hulls are not of a size that will plug-and-play match any transducers out there.

So, what I'm looking for is a simple, reliable depth sounder display with transducer and a simple reliable knotmeter with display. But my options seems severely limited, so looking for suggestions... it seems to me right now that the only choice I have is Raymarine ST50 displays with appropriate transducers, everything else wants to be sonar/chartplotter/blah blah.

To be clear, I don't want a chartplotter right now... I run my navigation off my laptop and prefer it that way, I just want simple displays you can glance at and see your depth and speed through the water, although ideally these transducers will be NMEA 2000 compatible for later additions to integrate with.

Am I missing something about Garmin, B&G's etc offerings? I only see Raymarine with standalones right now.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Recommendations for SIMPLE depth & speed

Your saying Simple and NMEA 2000 and those may just be not both be possible?
For simple especially if money is a big issue and it doesn't sound like it is, I'd go with a transom mount Xducer with paddle wheel and simple fish finder.
Myself I've been considering the new Raymarine / old Tac Tick as the are wireless and it sounds like you get all three functions in one Xducer, but are they NMEA 2000?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:58   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

doesnt get more simple than this! Also it is wireless but it doesnt support NMEA. www.knotstick.com

I guess I could be a real smartarse and say use a bit of string and a shackle for depth, but a proper depthsound is one of the few bits of electrical gear I really think earns its keep.

Ive gone with a cheap small sounder plotter combo to mount near the helm. It has a built in gps so I get SOG from that.

Id definitely go with a fishfinder type sounder rather than just a display with numbers. Much more info and clarity over what the bottoms really doing.
Old 01-04-2016, 16:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last boat I had a Dragonfly down scan on it as I had a vacation curtailed when my Garmin 740S died and wanted the backup.
We dove off of that boat and the Dragonfly was phenomenal for finding wrecks, dive spots.mI know you said no plotter but if you have use for detailed bottom profile these things are cool.
Had a Garmin 150 I think it was called on a little boat I used in rivers to get to caves to dive, the little Garmin was cheap, but an excellent bottom machine for the price. If your going to have depth, look into an inexpensive fish finder, the Garmin was maybe $100 I think?

Hard to find standalone electronics at the consumer price point it seems.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:47   #5

Boat: Cascade 36

B&G has a speed and depth combo that is NMEA 2000 and doesn't require a chart plotter. Its a Triton T41 (or Simrad IS40) 4" display and a DST800 speed/depth/temp (all in one thruhull) sensor.

The basic cost is around $900 new but you could probably piece it together form ebay or craigslist for $500 or so.

Just saw a Simrad IS40 on ebay for under $300 and you can find various versions of the N2K DST800 on ebay for under $300 as well. those two and a N2K backbone is a start.

A Simrad IS20 Graphic Display is N2K and would work as well.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 20:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
B&G has a speed and depth combo that is NMEA 2000 and doesn't require a chart plotter. Its a Triton T41 (or Simrad IS40) 4" display and a DST800 speed/depth/temp (all in one thruhull) sensor.
put these on a boat this week and work fine. (along with other stuff)

even used the old through hull housing. (it came with a retrofit o ring)

these will allow you to add onto the system later.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:03   #7

Boat: Ohlson 38

If you wish to have it simple plus expandable at a later stage, you may well buy an airmar speed/depth transducer for nmea2000 or 0183 and you find yourself an nmea capable display available from a number of manufacturers. airman makes most of the transducers for the others company's dedicated systems but does one for nmea which will work fine plus you may connect the data to your PC (later).
blueprint_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:15   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I like the Garmin GMI-20 display. It is a NMEA 2K device with user definable data. Most of the other manufacturer's small displays I've seen are either dedicated displays or have a very limited amount of data you can show, not very customizable.

As far as transducers, there is a difference between one that is just depth (NMEA) and one that is a sounder (Fish Finder).

To get Speed in Water and/or water temp you will need a thru hull. (Or the cheap transom mount units that fishermen use.) Depth you can get with an in-hull, but it needs a medium to shoot through and it can't be mounted over too thick a cored hull or anything metallic.

Check the in-hull you have. See if there is any fluid in the mount. (Propylene glycol) If not, add some and see if it works. (You can burn out the sender if it is in air, but it's worth a shot to save it.) If it does have fluid, try moving it to another location. (You can put it in a baggie with water in it as a way to test new locations.) You could check the manufacturer's website and get some ideas there as well.

Some folks also bed them (Even thru-hulls as an in-hull) in silicon, but I don't care for that as much.

However you do it, in-hulls can not shoot through air or DENSE SOLID objects.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We get speed off the GPS. BUT- I consider speed non-essential. Depth is important. If your laptop has no GPS add it on with Globalsat BU353 with USB or other suitable connector. Get the free download of Open CPN and the free NOAA 2273 on-line charts. We also carry a DAKOTA hand-held GPS chart plotter that runs on 2 AA re-chargeables. I Think you should be able to find an Airmar device to fit your port compatible with about any electronic device. Otherwise, changing the port is not a big deal. I cut 3 out & replaced in just a few hours.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:57   #10

Forget a paddle wheel speed unit. Get speed off your GPS. If you just want a simple inexpensive depth sounder get a fish finder type for powerboats. They work great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:18   #11

You want simple ? Back in the day... we tossed an empty can over the side by the bow and timed it as it passed the stern...had a table worked out inside the galley cabinet door to translate seconds to knots....funniest thing, it never broke down or failed......
Willy MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
We have two through hulls in our Gulf 32 that (presumably, before us) used to host a speed transducer and a depth sounder transducer. One now just has the plug in it and one has the old, non functioning speed transducer in it.

We have no depth sounder currently (there was also a through the hull style one but it doesn't work either), and the existing through hulls are not of a size that will plug-and-play match any transducers out there.

So, what I'm looking for is a simple, reliable depth sounder display with transducer and a simple reliable knotmeter with display. But my options seems severely limited, so looking for suggestions... it seems to me right now that the only choice I have is Raymarine ST50 displays with appropriate transducers, everything else wants to be sonar/chartplotter/blah blah.

To be clear, I don't want a chartplotter right now... I run my navigation off my laptop and prefer it that way, I just want simple displays you can glance at and see your depth and speed through the water, although ideally these transducers will be NMEA 2000 compatible for later additions to integrate with.

Am I missing something about Garmin, B&G's etc offerings? I only see Raymarine with standalones right now.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Bass
I'll bet you can buy a cheap depth finder with anchor watch, at West, and bond the transducer to the inside of the hull. Unless they have changed? Speed from a pinwheel and you are willing to dive and clean it often don't put one in. A hand held GPS will give you speed over the bottom.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:47   #13

I bought a Hawkeye depth sounder for my smaller boat a few years ago at West Marine. It cost around $100 and works entirely on its own. It didn't even need a through hull. Down side, it doesn't work well past 100 feet of that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starboardtack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardtack01 View Post
I bought a Hawkeye depth sounder for my smaller boat a few years ago at West Marine. It cost around $100 and works entirely on its own. It didn't even need a through hull. Down side, it doesn't work well past 100 feet of that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gee! I may go aground. I think we may have bought the same unit. I glued the transducer to the inside of the hull with RTV. The anchor watch paid for itself.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:45   #15

Boat: C&C27 mk1 27ft

Check out nasamarine.com
There is a Canadian distributor as well and surely one in the US
mike-atoakville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, men