Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 13:31   #1

Recommendations for replacing VHF fixed mount

On my Moody 46 sailboat, the old Raymarine RAY215 VHF radio has died. Looking for recommendations for purchasing a new/used one. I'm looking at the B&G V50 with wireless handheld, H50, primarily to prevent having to run new wiring from nav desk up to the helm. I have AIS transponder already. Any reviews on that B&G product or any other products?
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Recommendations for replacing VHF fixed mount

I'm well pleased with my SH 2000, if I was doing it again, I'd likely go for the 2200.
I think VHF's are cheap enough that I Wouldn't go used myself, and I'd base my choice largely on what would fit. You in particular don't want your new one to be smaller than the hole the old one left.
It sure makes installation a lot easier if the cut out size is the same, if it's mounted that way.

Just me but wired things seem less problematic
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 15:15   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33

I am partial to Horizon models with built in GPS. Great quality unit. GPS is on anytime radio is on for Mayday fix, no routing wires from GPS to VHF and you have a backup GPS.
cwoflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:06   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

I'd avoid wireless or bluetooth for a safety critical system like VHF.

The B&G VHF had many issues when released including corrupting the wider nmea2000 network. We opted for an ICOM M506 with AIS and DSC that currently integrates with our nmea network and gps. It is dependent on the network being up for gps so we might add its own gps to give better redundancy.

We built a custon helm and have added multiple conduit runs to alleviate feeding wires thru an older vessel. Its a pain but Id rather that than deal with wireless connections.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:28   #5

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Depends on how much you want to spend; look at Sailor 6222 or Furuno 8900s these are REAL VHF radios!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 17:27   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'll throw my vote in for Standard Horizon... Either the GX1700 or GX2200... We have the GX1700 and its been a fantastic radio.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 17:56   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Our new boat came with a B&G V50/H50 combo. Performance is fine and it's fairly easy to use. There were firmware problems with that radio early on causing problems on the bus but those were solved 3+ years ago and I can say none of us on the B35/38 group are seeing any problems (and we all have the same setup). The wireless handset is just ok - it works fine, but have a place to stash it so it doesn't go overboard. The battery life is about 15 hours or so. The charging is slow because it's inductive. It is durable though. Consider getting a second charging cradle (it comes with one) so that you can have cradles down below and somewhere in the cockpit. I like both Icom and SH radios and have had both, and IMO the B&G is just as good, so get what works best for you.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:06   #8

Boat: Valiant 40
Recommendations for replacing VHF fixed mount

I have the Simrad R45 or something like that, with the wireless ram mic. Overall it’s s good unit, but the wireless mike has two issues; the battery won’t last 12 hours, and the speaker is not the best. It sounds fine a foot or two from your ear but beyond that it is muffled regardless of the volume. Not as clear as my old SH ram mike. Not sure if it’s the same mic as what pairs with the unit you’re looking at.

That said, it’s extremely convenient to have a “wander anywhere” handset and I’ve grown attached to it. It’s very convenient to have it always at hand. Never had any issues with it pairing or connecting to the base unit, ever.

The dealer told me they’ve had troubles with overcharging of the battery in the charging station, killing the battery. My solution was to install a lighted switch next to it. When it’s charged I flick it off.
Old 22-08-2018, 18:34   #9

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

I have the same VHF as Suijin, the Simrad RS35 and two HS35 remote radios. I've never had an issue with the remotes connecting, and it uses the same DECT6.0 stuff that modern wireless telephones use in the home. Nice proven technology and our remote works two slips over.

Plus it works perfect on the N2K bus and provide the AIS receive only data to my Raymarine MFD.
Old 23-08-2018, 09:01   #10

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

+2 for the new SH units.

Our old ICOM died this past winter and we opted for the SH 2200 Matrix/GPS model. Installation was straightforward and it works well. (the actual radio was a little smaller than the existing ICOM unit so we "contracted" the local Petersburg High School shop class to make a wooden spacer for us out of rosewood - looks great!)

An interesting note - we opted for a SH remote mic also. We were told by many that we would need to run a new remote mic cable to the pedstal - not an easy task. Turns out the old ICOM cable worked just fine with the SH unit. We see the AIS targets on the screen easily and have made several DSC calls off the remote unit.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 11:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have had several problems with the Simrad/B&G fixed mount VHF and its handset. While showing Channel 16, it would suddenly start broadcasting NOAA weather. The handset will not connect with the base station after a software update. I think it's a flawed piece of gear, and you can do better.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I have had several problems with the Simrad/B&G fixed mount VHF and its handset. While showing Channel 16, it would suddenly start broadcasting NOAA weather. The handset will not connect with the base station after a software update. I think it's a flawed piece of gear, and you can do better.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck - But I'm confused: Simrad and B&G are two different products. Have you had difficulty with both brands?
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 16:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dave View Post
Thanks Chuck - But I'm confused: Simrad and B&G are two different products. Have you had difficulty with both brands?
Simrad, B&G, and Lowrance are all owned by Navico. The radios are the same other than the name on the front.

Just another data point: The Beneteau 35/35.1/38/38.1 owners have a large facebook group. All of the boats came with the B&G V50/H50 and other than the first few needing firmware upgrades a few years ago, all have been fine. We've had ours for a year with no issues. I'm personally not really in love with the wireless handset but it's not bad.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 16:03   #14

GX2000 as you already have ais, with this you can can see ais targets on the radio and a RAM mic.

If you want a wireless mic, the Gx6000 is now shipping.
diesel45mpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, vhf