Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-03-2013, 10:27   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Real time Question AT 130 tuner

Have you tried tuning to the WWV time ticks to see if you can hear them? Does your radio have that capability? Also they have hourly weather reports.
WWV (Fort Collins, CO) 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHZ (AM)

8 Minutes past the hour Atlantic highseas warnings. 9 Minutes past the hour Atlantic highseas warnings. 10 Minutes past the hour Pacific highseas warnings
WWVH (Hawaii) 2.5, 5, 10, 15 MHZ (AM)

48-51 Minutes past the hour Pacific highseas warnings

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 10:30   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Steve,
We've hit on the problem.....electrons are warm weather folks, like me....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
It's still snowing here! Very small northern port. No Radio help available. I will try some more suggestions and then find someone in the big city to check the radio.

Seriously though, use the advice given here by myself and Eric, and you'll either have success or find that you have a radio problem....
In addition to using the USCG broadcast from Pt. Reyes, CA and WLO/KLB broadcast from Seattle, for your tests, you may find it easy to tune into (program in a receive freq) a local AM broadcast station that you know is strong and you can hear well on your car radio (this allows you to use a station where you know what it sounds like and what's being broadcast....)
The M-710's receiver will tune from 500khz to 27500khz (.5mhz to 27.5mhz)....

Also, please let us know WHERE you are at....
As in how many miles are you from Seattle, and how many miles you are from San Francisco?????
That way we can tell you what channel/freq to use at what time of day, for your testing....

Good luck...

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Old 18-03-2013, 11:16   #33

Boat: Dufour35 1982

Prince Rupert BC Canada

80 miles south of Ketchikan Alaska

Boats covered today, canceling haul out (about 3 hours south). Why we have spring reak in the midddle of bloody winter?

well tried the wire to the radio coaxial and nothing no difference.

So the local radio station does 860. How do I dial this in?
Old 18-03-2013, 12:09   #34

Turn the squelch off. Turn the RF gain to max (9). Since you are only seeing a couple bars of receive signal, I assume it's already set to max but check it anyway. With antenna disconnected from radio and volume level set halfway, the noise level should be very low. Stick a length of wire into the centerpin of the antenna connector as suggested and the noise level should increase dramatically. If not, you very likely have a radio problem.

Eric

OK

Squelch off

Do not know if this is significant. I get different types of noise from the different modes.

RF gain was at max

did test nothing. Dam looks like the radio will not receive!
Old 18-03-2013, 12:58   #35

Steve,
1) By my quick glance, you're about 600 - 700 miles from Seattle, and about 1100 - 1200 miles from San Fran....
Assuming this is correct, trying KLB's channels at the top of each hour (ITU channels 805 and 1209 from morning thru sunset....and 417 and 805 at night)....and the USCG's NMC channels at 0430z, 1030z, 1630z, and 2230z (try ITU channel 816 at night, and 1205 and/or 1625 during the day).....

Use the easy, step-by-step instructions in the CCA file you linked to earlier to find the ITU channels (pretty easy to do so), and then switch between the choices at the appropriate times to determine which channel has the strongest signal at that time....

2) Again use the step-by-step instructions in that CCA file, to allow you to dial in a specific freq.....
Quote:

So the local radio station does 860. How do I dial this in?
In this case "860" on your AM radio is 860khz (or 0860khz, or 0.860mhz), and should be easy to "dial in".....

But, having written/said all of the above (in all the previous posts), I'm thinking either:
a) you really aren't following how easy this should be and are complicating things unnecessarily....
---or----
b) you have a radio problem.....(have you spoken with the guy you bought it from, to see if he can help you out???? maybe he can plug it on his boat and show you that it's working??? I assume you bought it from a local, as they were upgrading???)

There's plenty of fishing boats in/near Ketchican, so you should be able to find a qualified/experienced HF radio tech there....

BTW, changes in noise from AM to JSB/USB is normal, and although is NOT a very good test, it is small indication that the radio IS working.....(and even changes in noise, when switching to CW and/or FSK is usually noticeable)

Bottom line:
It's either something REAL simple that you've overlooked, or your M-710 has a problem....

Wishing good luck....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 18-03-2013, 13:18   #36

Steve,
You really need to be a bit more precise....
Quote:
Does this mean that you have NO difference in radio noise, between having the wire stuck into the center of the coax connector (making sure the wire is ONLY touching the center hole of the coax connector), and having nothing at all connected to the coax connector????
If this is so, I'm suspecting the radio....

Please give better descriptions of what you are testing and what the results are....remember we are NOT there and cannot see what you are doing, all we have is your words here, and sorry to say this, but I feel like I'm "pulling" the info from you....if you wish to get things working and desire our help, you should be much more descriptive...

As an example, I asked multiple times where you were at (and specifically needed to know how far you are from Seattle and San Fran), and until a few minutes ago I had no idea WHERE you were....and even then I had to look up your location on-line (as I'm an entire continent away from you, and I have no Pacific charts on-board), to determine how far you are from Seattle and San Fran....
Please understand I'm not trying to be an ass, but just showing you how frustrating it is trying to help and having little input FROM the guy desiring the help.....

Wish you all the best...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 18-03-2013, 13:26   #37

We are 2 days winter sail away from Ket. No roads up here. Guy I bought it from is from Seattle area. Buyer beware.

Not trying to get things complicated. For example the am radio signal 860. Sure mode to am. punch in 860 hit rx to load goes back to previous setting.

Think I should have picked up something by now. I will find something different to do for a while I am getting frustrated as well.

Cheers for now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: