Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2013, 19:39   #16

Boat: Dufour35 1982
Re: Real time Question AT 130 tuner

Thanks for going to the trouble to explain John!

Ill have a go on Sat. fingers crossed!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:08   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

North Pacific,
You're welcome....and good luck...

BTW, I do have a favor to ask....
If you could please report back here your results.....

{As you'll see when you read over most of those other threads, many people give lots of good advice and we never hear back from the original poster, what their results were....and that is frustrating for tow main reasons....
a) later others waste time trying to figure out the same things, and have no idea what worked for the last guy with these issues....and so they end up asking the same questions that have been discussed over and over, etc...
b) and of course, it starts to feel futile, spending precious spare time answering questions and never hearing back from those who we're trying to help...}

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie

Old 08-03-2013, 09:57   #18

For sure. I had to laugh at all the possible blockers to good reception.
At work now but will start tonight when we hit the coast.

Cheers for the help everyone.

Steve
Old 16-03-2013, 15:54   #19

Well I bottled it last weekend. I found a site that explained what the dials and buttons do which helped. So from the advice gathered so far what have I found.

Should have bought a sat phone?
My identified sins so far:

My ariel is too long and maybe made of the wrong stuff. What is Home depo aircraft cable made from? probably aluminum?

Sin 2 my control cable and co-axial run together to the tunner along a conduit with other cables. Carrying current from my wind generator and solar to my smart controler.

My power cables run the first 5 ft with the other 2.

I am in a harbour run LED lights etc

West coast any frequency that has much traffic on it to use as a beacon?
Old 16-03-2013, 16:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is Home depo aircraft cable made from? probably aluminum?

Aluminum should be a great signal material, of course may not last long in the marine environment though. Yeah, avoid running all those wires together.
One of the things about HF radio is that the signal you are listening to often if not clear at all due to background noise. A minor tweak in the freq adjustment may make a difference... but often you are trying to ferret out what's being said. If the distance, time of day and propagation are perfect you may get a clear signal, but often that is not the case. Ham radios have filters that can help with hearing to some extent.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 16:27   #21

Ok I am now moving the coaxial. can I leave the control cable as is?
Old 17-03-2013, 18:20   #22

So I had a local "Ham" come down. He checked my connections no shorts good all round. Unfortunately the SSB was very different from his Ham radio. I can still not hear anyone even when I scan.

The other troubling aspect is when I remove the antenna coaxial from the back of the radio no difference.
Old 17-03-2013, 22:32   #23

Steve,
Earlier, I wrote:
"....Most HF radio users on-board cruising boats, including those installing/updating older/used equipment, find they have NO problem with the equipment, but rather they are simply unfamiliar with how it works, what it sounds like, and where to find what signals/stations...."
And, this is still my first thought as to what might be the issue....BUT...

1) But, this symptom is VERY telling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
The other troubling aspect is when I remove the antenna coaxial from the back of the radio no difference.
a) HF SSB/CW receivers tuned to just about any frequency (especially below 10mhz), should always have some atmospheric noise in the receiver with the antenna connected and you'd see/hear this noise disappear when disconnecting the antenna.....
And, any experienced HF operator would know that, so I suspect that either the ham that you had over did not do this test, or that he/she was not experienced????

b) The Icom M-710 is a good radio and very easy to operate/tune, but it IS possible that yours has a problem....

c) Also possible that you have significant locally generated RFI ("radio noise"), which is coming from something on your boat (or VERY close by)...

d) I'm not clear if you ever had this particular M-710 working and receiving signals???? As you started this thread about your tuner connections, it's not clear whether the radio itself is working correctly....
Please advise.....

e) Also, if you haven't tried the frequencies that I gave you links to, in my earlier post, then I suggest you use those links / listen to those frequencies at those specific times, and see what results you get....
ssb freqs

f) Further, I'm also still not clear WHERE you are at.....WHAT antenna you have, HOW the antenna is wired, etc. etc...
So, it is difficult to make specific recommendations....

2) These comments are also very telling...
Quote:
So I had a local "Ham" come down. He checked my connections no shorts good all round. Unfortunately the SSB was very different from his Ham radio. I can still not hear anyone even when I scan.
a) Good to know that you "connections" are good.....but did he check the coax also??? as a shorted coax connector could be the cause of all your troubles....

b) Again, not knowing what "static" you have, it is difficult for me to troubleshoot from 1000's of miles away.....but any experienced HF operator should very easily be able to determine what the "static" is (atmospheric band noise vs. man-made RFI), and if your "local ham" was unable to do so, again I'd suspect that he/she wasn't really experienced.....

c) Not sure what/why you are "scanning"??? (I'm assuming you're in Brit Col, Canada????)
Have you tuned to the channels/frequencies I posted.....
ssb freqs

Can you advise why you are not just tuning the radio to a specific channel, such as ITU 424 (4426 rec), ITU 816 (8764 rec), or ITU1205 (13089 rec), to listen to the USCG offshore and high seas weather (such as that transmitted by NMC, from Pt. Reyes, CA) USCG HF Voice
Or, WLO/KLB's channels ITU, 417, 805, 1209, 1624, (transmitted from Seattle, WA).....during their hourly traffic lists and 6 - 8 times a day weather broadcasts...
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

d) The M-710 is a good radio, and is VERY easy to operate/tune, and the fact that your "local ham" was unable to figure it out shows that either he/she wasn't very experienced and/or that the radio has a serious issue, and/or that you have some serious local RFI (on-board your boat)....
Read over the links provided, for more details....

3) As I wrote earlier:
"....The four main "causes" of can't hear it is are:
a) unfamiliarity with what HF radio comms sound like...
b) unfamiliarity with radiowave propagation and/or what freqs to use, when...
c) unfamiliarity with what is actually there on the air to receive, and at what time and frequency to tune to...
d) significant radio noise / Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), on-board and/or in your local area, marina, yacht club, etc..."

4) Not sure what wiring you have running together, but if the radio and tuner are installed correctly (using the correct wire/cables/connections), there should no issue with your radio picking up "static" from these wires.....

5) You mention that you "found a site", and from the advice gotten so far that:
Quote:
"Should have bought a sat phone?
My ariel is too long and maybe made of the wrong stuff. What is Home depo aircraft cable made from? probably aluminum?

Sin 2 my control cable and co-axial run together to the tunner along a conduit with other cables. Carrying current from my wind generator and solar to my smart controler.

My power cables run the first 5 ft with the other 2.

I am in a harbour run LED lights etc"
To be blunt Steve, until you just posted these supposed "sins", we haven't any clue about your system/set-up other than it's a M-710/AT-130, with reception issues....
So, there is really little more that we can do to help.....if we had more detailed info, we'd certainly be able to provide you with lots of assistance, but with the limited info I have, that's about all I can advise....

Again, as I wrote earlier:
"....The four main "causes" of can't hear it is are:
a) unfamiliarity with what HF radio comms sound like...
b) unfamiliarity with radiowave propagation and/or what freqs to use, when...
c) unfamiliarity with what is actually there on the air to receive, and at what time and frequency to tune to...
d) significant radio noise / Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), on-board and/or in your local area, marina, yacht club, etc..."

And, once a, b, and c, are handled.....then look at "d" (RFI).....
BUT...
But, you also should consider whether your M-710 has a receive problem....

And, an easy way to eliminate your tuner and antenna (and all their wiring, cables, and connections) from being sources of the problem is to simply grab about 30' of wire (ANY type of wire will work, but I prefer to use any insulated copper wire...), stick one end into the center of the coax connector on the back of the M-710, toss the wire out a hatch / porthole, and hoist the other end up on a flag halyard......
This gives you a decent, cheap, and easy receive antenna....

Steve, this is usually NOT a big deal, and I suspect that your problem is either something VERY simple, or something is wrong with your M-710....( the former is my best guess...)
So, read over those other threads, and I think you'll be able to track down the problem in a few minutes.....

BTW, handheld sat phones have their own issues and user learning curves as well.....so my BEST advice is to read the threads, do the tests, give us more details, and it'll probably be an easy solution....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie

{P.S. contrary to the advice of others, I always connect cable shields/grounds (both ends need to be connected to be effective), but on-board you sometimes use ferrites on the outside of the cables to reduce/eliminate common-mode RF flowing (on the outside of the shielding), and sometimes dc blocking caps might need to be added, but usually NONE of this would be even close to causing your issues...}
Old 17-03-2013, 22:55   #24

Hi John,

OK no shorts. That was checked.

Can you advise why you are not just tuning the radio to a specific channel, such as ITU 424 (4426 rec), ITU 816 (8764 rec), or ITU1205 (13089 rec), to listen to the USCG offshore and high seas weather (such as that transmitted by NMC, from Pt. Reyes, CA) USCG HF Voice
Or, WLO/KLB's channels ITU, 417, 805, 1209, 1624, (transmitted from Seattle, WA).....during their hourly traffic lists and 6 - 8 times a day weather broadcasts...

CAuse I don't know how to. :-)

That is why I found a site that actually has an explanation on how to turn on an Icom M710 for Dummies.

http://www.cruisingclub.org/pdfs/com...710_m710rt.pdf

I have been working through abcd. Just reporting back that no success yet. DId mention that easing the co-axial out of the back of the radio had made no difference in the hiss sound from the radio.

I will try and figure out how to tune into some of your frequencies you suggest. More reports later.
Old 17-03-2013, 23:20   #25

John,

I bought the radio used. Guy swore it worked:-) Just fitting it in now.
Old 17-03-2013, 23:45   #26

OK when I go to a working frequency the radio cuts out the static briefly a dash appears on the screen then back to the hiss. Sounds the same as a vhf with the squelch not adjusted.

Only joking about the Sat phone, thought long and hard about this and I will have a working SSB in July:-0

Must admit SSB is starting to have another meaning during this mornings blizzard when I had to disconnect everything so that we could do the tests. Don't give up on me I will learn!

Steve

Steve
Old 18-03-2013, 00:08   #27

Ok,

The signal strength indicator only flickers between 1&2 bars.
Old 18-03-2013, 07:42   #28

Steve,
Not giving up on you yet...

Sounds like you're progressing well...
And, this piece of info is good...
Quote:
The signal strength indicator only flickers between 1&2 bars.
Assuming you're in BC Canada, and are trying an 8mhz channel (such as 816, for NMC), and although having 1 or 2 bars of atmospheric noise is a little higher than usual, it is okay....

The CCA doc is a good find.....I wasn't aware they had those available on-line!!

If you're unfamiliar with marine HF radio, my best advice is to find someone local that IS familiar with it.....perhaps even hiring a "pro", if all else fails.....

Good luck...and keep trying....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 18-03-2013, 08:19   #29

Turn the squelch off. Turn the RF gain to max (9). Since you are only seeing a couple bars of receive signal, I assume it's already set to max but check it anyway. With antenna disconnected from radio and volume level set halfway, the noise level should be very low. Stick a length of wire into the centerpin of the antenna connector as suggested and the noise level should increase dramatically. If not, you very likely have a radio problem.

Eric
Old 18-03-2013, 08:39   #30

It's still snowing here! Very small northern port. No Radio help available. I will try some more suggestions and then find someone in the big city to check the radio.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: