Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 10:36   #1

Boat: Beneteau 411 celebration- 41'7"
RC530 Raymarine Chart Plotter / Radar

Hi

I am new around here.... Wanting help/ ideas.
We have a RC530 on our yacht year 2003 and I would like advice on how to up date to 2011! Are c map cards available/ compatible to our RC 530 and is it possible to up date the RC 530 or is to old now....? We plan to eventually up grade the system to AIS i also have a mac laptop so need to wait until we have got more finances especially the way technology marches on....

Any advice welcome on what is compatible to upgrade cheaply also I am not a real techi so make answers idiot proof please....

Thanks
Sacrebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 04:37   #2

Boat: Caliber 47 LRC SE
Re: RC530 Raymarine chart plotter/ radar

Just bought a 2001 catalina 400 and am looking for the same...or at least a way to get more maps. What did your research come up with?
ngmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:43   #3

Re: RC530 Raymarine Chart Plotter / Radar

Hi there ngmayo

thanks for the message. I did not get very far looking for the info as it was getting expensive and new cards where about £250.
We decided in the end that as we would need to change our navigation any way as it was not compatable to have AIS etc.. we decided to bight the bullet and spend money on the raymarine C90w which got us safely back from ireland to the UK ( we bought the yacht in Ireland and changing the equipment in ireland in euros was cheaper for us - another insentive!)

so I am afraid as you also will find out there is not alot of help out there on the plotter I must say the C90 is really good I need a lot more practice as it has so much it can do but we can split the screen and have radar on and plotting is quite easy and it was brilliant when we had fog on our way back.
not what you want to hear when you have just bought a new boat but god luck! and happy sailing!
Old 27-07-2011, 13:48   #4

Boat: Caliber 47 LRC SE
Re: RC530 Raymarine Chart Plotter / Radar

been looking at that option too. Saw a used C80 for $950 locally, but ultimately decided to just get a new NT+ widerange card for just under $200 delivered. I'm still 2 years out from serious cruising. Did your C90w mount nicely in the RC530 compartment/footprint or did it require new box/cutting of the old?

Thanks again for the info
ngmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:04   #5

Smile Re: RC530 Raymarine Chart Plotter / Radar

Hi yes it fits fine it's a bigger screen positioned landscape we have repeater also.... So yes a bit was cut out to fit it on... I would say the screen is no larger than a magazine? . We are also not cruising properly yet we are hoping to set off to start Europe next summer and then when more experienced head out across the Atlantic.... Happy sailing maybe we might bump intobeach other you never know!

Tags
charts, radar, raymarine, chartplotter