4.2 User calibration
The User calibration procedures:
• Linearize and align the wind transducer.
• Select the required wind speed units
Linearizing and aligning the wind transducer
This procedure ensures that the sensors in the windvane
transducer are correctly
calibrated to record
rotation of the windvane
, then compensates for any small
errors which may exist in the alignment of the wind transducer.
To do this:
1. Power-up the ST60 Wind instrument.
2. Slowly turn the vessel through two complete circles. This procedure automatically
linearizes the windvane. A successful linearization is indicated by the
digital display flashing and the buzzer sounding three beeps.
28 ST60 Wind & Close Hauled Wind Instrument Owner’s Handbook
3. Hold down the disp and true/app keys for approximately 2 seconds to enter
User calibration then use the disp key to select the wind angle screen
User calibration flow diagram).
4. Sail directly into the wind and adjust the analog pointer to zero, using the
vmg and tack keys. If you are unable to achieve the required degree of accuracy
due to sea conditions, and errors become apparent during subsequent
tack operations, repeat this procedure to achieve alignment accuracy.
5. Display the wind speed units screen
6. Use the vmg and tack keys to select the units you want, either knots (KTS) or
meters per second (M/S).
Note: Any speed unit changes will be applied to other SeaTalk
Leaving User calibration
Hold down the disp and true/app keys for 2 seconds to save your settings, exit
User calibration and resume normal operation.