Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2010, 18:43   #1

Boat: Prout 37
Raytheon RC70

Hi all,
I have just returned to my boat and switched my chart plotter on, all I get is a bright screen with no picture or info, I thought it might just be a bit damp, so I left it on for about 10mins. and it seems to get quite hot. I have tried a few times. Am I going to have to buy a new unit(if they have this old unit in stock!) or is the screen replaceable, anyone have any ideas?
Thanks Alex.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:45   #2

P.S. all the buttons beep as they used to.
Old 15-08-2010, 20:40   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Hey Alex,
I've got a SL70CRC.. relly love it.. installed it about 6 to 7 years ago..
Odd thing, I would hang my hand on the upper rim and hit the buttons with my thumb.. doing this, I would rest my thumb on the upper area of the screen..
After a couple years, I noticed the reflective coating from where My thumb rested was comming off, (must have been from the oils in my hand)
Anyway, I called RayMarine and was told I could have the screen replaced for 300 dollars .. I then asked if I could have it all checked out and gone through to make sure it was opperating right.. she said, sure for 300 dollars.. as I asked about more survice, she continued to say 300 dollars.....
So I finally said, we're up to about 1200 dollars now so I think I'll just buy a new unit.. She laughed and said I misunderstood her, as Raymarine will completely rebuild or referbish the SL70 for a Max of 300 dollars...... They did so.. got it back in about 3 weeks at a cost of 300 dollars.. give them a call.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 20:25   #4

Many thanks Randy, I am in Langkawi now fitting a new engine. I think my closest agent is in Phuket, I am glad to hear it might not entail buying a new unit. Any more big expenses and I might have to go back to work or give up beer !!! Alex
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19   #5

Cannot find a local agent, their web site is a nightmare,(unless you want to buy a cruise missile!) anyone in the Langkawi, Phuket area, please let me know.
many thanks, Alex
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42   #6

Boat: Island Packet IP38
Sounds like a possibe power supply issue. It is the very back board in the case. They are easy to come by. The layer 1 boards are the hard ones to get. See what the number on your power supply board is. I might have one.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:40   #7

Thanks Bucky, back on the boat on the 27th. will let you know.
Old 29-11-2010, 03:38   #8

Hi Bucky, on boat now, only number I can see on the back of the unit is:13109-5420.
Haven't dared to open it up !!!
Still no reasonable response from any Raymarine agent yet, one told me it is an old unit, and there are no spares available. If this is the case I will never buy anything from these manufactures again!!
"BUYER BEWARE"
Regards Alex.
Old 29-11-2010, 04:18   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
They are not the only company that doesn't support anything over a few years old. Simrad has been terrible about repairs or support. I have the SA-44 and the DS-44 repeater. The DS-44 screen went bad and I couldn't find a replacement. Know the SA-44 (main unit) isn't sending true wind or SOG info to the gages. It seems like every time I turn around something else goes bad on this gear. Simrad "recreational" was sold to a group called NAVICO and their worthless. Thank god for Ebay!

Steve in Solomons
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 06:58   #10

Boat: Island Packet IP38
Don't be intimitaded about opening it. It may come down to either that or trash bin. You can look for a replacement part, many boaters upgrade their electronics and sell the older units.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58   #11

Hi Bucky, If I do open it what am I looking for?
When big folk like Ra*****e can't be bothered to keep a few spares in stock for us, we should not buy any more stuff from them!
Seems they make more money selling smart bombs anyway.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:22   #12

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Did you try a "hard" reset? You will reset the unit to factory setting and loose all your waypoints but they are loast anyway/
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29   #13

S/O Please tell me more, how do i do that? Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:42   #14

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I'm not on the boat right now but it is a combination of keys. Instuctions are in the manual; maybe the manual is on Raymarine's website. I had to reset both of my chartplotters this fall as when ever I put in a waypoint with the cursor - the system would immediately flash "waypoint arrived". The reset fixed that problem and erased all my routes. Stupid computers!

I looked on their site. The instructions are - hit the menu button,select system setup (i think that would be the first button on the left - since you can't see it), press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds - the system will then restart with the factory settings.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:21   #15

S/O Thanks, but when I turn it on all I get is a white screen.

Tags
raytheon