Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2013, 18:15   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Raymarine Wheelpilot Voltage at 6v

Hi All,

First post.

We've got a Raymarine SPX5 computer connected to a ST6002 interface controlling a wheel pilot on our 28ft sailboat.

Recently we've been getting a low voltage error and the wheel pilot shuts down. On our last trip out, the fuse in the line to the computer blew, not sure what that means.

I've used a voltmeter to check the voltage on the screw tops of the power wires going into the computer, and gotten a reading above 12v. But at the screw tops of the wires going out to the motor, I'm getting a reading of about 6v, when the autopilot's motor is drawing power. The batteries are fine.

Can anyone recommend the best way to trouble shoot this issue?

Many thanks

Oscar

Old 10-12-2013, 18:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Raymarine wheelpilot voltage at 6v

Remove each wire connection and carefully clean, check and reinstall. You have a voltage drop along the line when drawing current. Also check the full length of the wire for any chaff points that may have damaged the wire. You should use a conductive paste on the wire when reassembling any bad connection. That is where I would start.

Edit: Also make sure that the wire is large enough for the current draw taking into account the total run from computer to motor and back.

Old 10-12-2013, 18:50   #3

Thanks DeepFrz (Must be getting that way now in Winnipeg),

Checking the wiring sounds like a smart place to start. But as I tend to cause more problems than I solve when reconnecting wires, I may approach this by taking a new length of wire and providing an alternate power source to the computer, and then an alternate route from the computer to the drive unit to try and isolate the connection issue to one of those two circuits, if that's what it is.

Cheers,

Oscar
Old 10-12-2013, 19:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Run the wires right from a fuse off the positive and negative bus as close to the batteries as you can get. Running the wires from the switch panel complicates the run and will reduce the voltage at the far end.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24   #5

So, I disconnected the motor's wires coming out from the computer, then fed 12v to the wires through a 10 amp fuse. The motor ran briefly then the fuse blew. I then disconnected the wires feeding into the back of the motor, and again fed 12v to the motor through a 10 amp fuse, the motor ran for a second, then the fuse blew again.

Seems like the motor has an issue and is drawing too much current. Should I send the motor in for inspection or are my tests conclusive?

Cheers,

Oscar
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06   #6

Boat: Tartan 33
Deleted.... Looks like u solved it
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think they are pretty easy to take apart and troubleshoot. I do believe that there is a thread on here about doing just that with pictures even. Try google custom search under the search button.
Old 11-12-2013, 18:20   #8

Re: Raymarine Wheelpilot Voltage at 6v

I've ordered a new motor. They don't have the motor for the ST4000+ anymore, as they no longer make the parts. But Raymarine says the new motor is a match to the old one, so I ordered that, just $88 Aussie.

I couldn't find a thread on motor replacement or repair using the search, but I'll look again when the motor arrives. I do recall previously reading a detailed threat where two posters suggested some DIY ways of repairing the motor-I think involving scavenging pieces from a Chinese drill and maybe a washing machine...

Cheers

Oscar

Tags
marine, raymarine, wheel, Wheelpilot, wheelpilot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: