Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 16:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran
Raymarine upgrade

Hello everyone!

We’re buying the sailing Cat Lagoon 2011-2012 with original Raymarine electronics.
Boat has E120W chart plotter , Radar , ST70 instrument ,SPX30 autopilot with p70 control head and installed in 2016 AIS650.

We want to upgrade chart plotter and radar and install new 12 Axiom pro S with quantum 2 radar.

Could you advice if we would need to buy some additional stuff like converter , adaptor and cables or it’s plug and play with existing system.

Thank you in advance !
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 16:53   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Raymarine upgrade

You already have a mix of old and new tech. The newer stuff is seatalk NG which is the Ray version of NMEA 2000. The new plotter will integrate into the NG backbone easily.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 05:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
You already have a mix of old and new tech. The newer stuff is seatalk NG which is the Ray version of NMEA 2000. The new plotter will integrate into the NG backbone easily.
Thank you!
Old 20-05-2018, 06:23   #4

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I just switched from an E80 to an Axiom 9. The biggest hassle I had was running a new transducer for the CHIRP downvision that is integrated into the Axiom. The old transducer hole in the hull was larger, so I had to deal with that. Also, the connector end of the cable is huge...it's a 20-pin cable. The very large connector requires very large holes to be drilled, and doesn't easily snake through the boat.

The installation "poster" that comes with the Axiom specifies four or five different cables to use to connect to your radar, depending on length. I needed the shortest one, but the poster did not specify that I also needed to change the "gender" of the cable. I can't remember exactly, but I think after ordering the specified short cable, I ended up with two male ends. Luckily I had the male-to-female cable left over from my previous install. Forgive my inexact terminology.

The chart card that came in the box with the Axiom looked too big to fit the MicroSD card slot on the back of the unit. I actually took it back to West Marine. A savvy 19-year-old young lady showed me how a teeny-tiny card is cleverly hidden inside a tiny card. When you pull it out, it fits right into the card slot on the Axiom. She said somebody comes in almost every day with that question.

The Axiom has a very quick and easy way to power your radar up and down. Just a tap on the power key brings up a mini-menu. It's much better than paging through menus on my old E80.

Good luck!
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 06:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Talk to whoever is doing your install. For a long range/cruiser catamaran it is always nice to have a second "slave" station at the nav station. Much more comfortable to stand watch there, then on deck.

I am 99% sure the old device speaks SeaTalkNG. If so, it is a candidate for the nav station. See http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=68
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 06:45   #6

Boat: Passport 40

One of the nice things of upgrading your Raymarine mfd is you will get the Wifi and now you can use an iPad (or iPhone if that works for you) as a remote station for the chartplotter. You can be in the galley and have control of the MFD screen. This is extremely useful, and my number one reason to upgrade my own Raymarine setup (used to have a C90W and upgraded to an E97 two years ago as the e series was being phased out). Since my MFD is right on the pedestal (which I hate), if you want to peek at the chartplotter you have to be all the way in the back of the boat. The wifi is a great solution to that, and I have my ipad just under the dodger (where I prefer to spend my time on passage).

My system is a mix:

- Raymarine e97 MFD/chartplotter
- Raymarine ST70/SPX30 autopilot
- Raymarine i70 instrument for wind, depth, etc, to an ITC5 and to the different wind/depth sensors (analog, that's why the ITC5 is needed)

The only problems i have run into are:

- The ST70 and/or the SPX30 will not allow my e97 to search for devices on the Seatalk NG network ... go figure. I can update the firmware on every portion of the setup (including the ITC5, SPX, etc), but I can't do a "device search" from the e97 ...

- The ST70 AP control, being an "older" generation than the e97 or the i70 has distinctivly different brightness settings. So when I put the cluster (the three instruments) on the same brightness control (so changing the brightness on the e97 changes it for every instrument), I sometimes suffer a bit of "over" or "under" brightness on the ST70. This is just slightly annoying.

I have been wondering about just replacing the ST70 autopilot head with a newer p70. But I was unsure wether i could use a p70 with my SPX30. Apparently from what you say, that can be done.

BTW exchanging a 120cw for a newer gen MFD should be REALLY easy. So I would go ahead and attempt doing it myself. The tricky part will be getting the cutout to match

I hope this info helps.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 07:08   #7

Boat: Grand Banks 32

Try the Raymarine forum. Their tech support people answer most questions within 24 to 36 hours. I have found them quite useful and helpful.
Good luck
Oldersalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 13:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
I just switched from an E80 to an Axiom 9. The biggest hassle I had was running a new transducer for the CHIRP downvision that is integrated into the Axiom. The old transducer hole in the hull was larger, so I had to deal with that. Also, the connector end of the cable is huge...it's a 20-pin cable. The very large connector requires very large holes to be drilled, and doesn't easily snake through the boat.

The installation "poster" that comes with the Axiom specifies four or five different cables to use to connect to your radar, depending on length. I needed the shortest one, but the poster did not specify that I also needed to change the "gender" of the cable. I can't remember exactly, but I think after ordering the specified short cable, I ended up with two male ends. Luckily I had the male-to-female cable left over from my previous install. Forgive my inexact terminology.

The chart card that came in the box with the Axiom looked too big to fit the MicroSD card slot on the back of the unit. I actually took it back to West Marine. A savvy 19-year-old young lady showed me how a teeny-tiny card is cleverly hidden inside a tiny card. When you pull it out, it fits right into the card slot on the Axiom. She said somebody comes in almost every day with that question.

The Axiom has a very quick and easy way to power your radar up and down. Just a tap on the power key brings up a mini-menu. It's much better than paging through menus on my old E80.

Good luck!
Thank you!
I'm planning to stay with existing transducer and hope there won't be problem with this. I'm also gonna buy couple of adaptors just in case.
Old 20-05-2018, 14:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Talk to whoever is doing your install. For a long range/cruiser catamaran it is always nice to have a second "slave" station at the nav station. Much more comfortable to stand watch there, then on deck.

I am 99% sure the old device speaks SeaTalkNG. If so, it is a candidate for the nav station. See Raymarine E Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays
Thank you!
I'm considering to use for second station the Ipad with wi-fi connection to chart plotter.
Old 20-05-2018, 14:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
One of the nice things of upgrading your Raymarine mfd is you will get the Wifi and now you can use an iPad (or iPhone if that works for you) as a remote station for the chartplotter. You can be in the galley and have control of the MFD screen. This is extremely useful, and my number one reason to upgrade my own Raymarine setup (used to have a C90W and upgraded to an E97 two years ago as the e series was being phased out). Since my MFD is right on the pedestal (which I hate), if you want to peek at the chartplotter you have to be all the way in the back of the boat. The wifi is a great solution to that, and I have my ipad just under the dodger (where I prefer to spend my time on passage).

My system is a mix:

- Raymarine e97 MFD/chartplotter
- Raymarine ST70/SPX30 autopilot
- Raymarine i70 instrument for wind, depth, etc, to an ITC5 and to the different wind/depth sensors (analog, that's why the ITC5 is needed)

The only problems i have run into are:

- The ST70 and/or the SPX30 will not allow my e97 to search for devices on the Seatalk NG network ... go figure. I can update the firmware on every portion of the setup (including the ITC5, SPX, etc), but I can't do a "device search" from the e97 ...

- The ST70 AP control, being an "older" generation than the e97 or the i70 has distinctivly different brightness settings. So when I put the cluster (the three instruments) on the same brightness control (so changing the brightness on the e97 changes it for every instrument), I sometimes suffer a bit of "over" or "under" brightness on the ST70. This is just slightly annoying.

I have been wondering about just replacing the ST70 autopilot head with a newer p70. But I was unsure wether i could use a p70 with my SPX30. Apparently from what you say, that can be done.

BTW exchanging a 120cw for a newer gen MFD should be REALLY easy. So I would go ahead and attempt doing it myself. The tricky part will be getting the cutout to match

I hope this info helps.
Thank you!
for me the main reason for the upgrade is possibility to use iPad as second station and for easy routing planning

I70 autopilot control head works fine with existing system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1 Deck Helm Chart1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	170201  
Old 20-05-2018, 14:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldersalt1944 View Post
Try the Raymarine forum. Their tech support people answer most questions within 24 to 36 hours. I have found them quite useful and helpful.
Good luck
Oldersalt
Thank You!
I was trying to register in the Raymarine forum but the approval from moderator takes for so long. I'm still waiting since Friday !

Tags
marine, raymarine