Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 21:12   #1

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
Raymarine -> Tablet Streaming

Hi All,

I have a dual helm vessel and am going to upgrade with some new electronics. At this point I am trying to decide between these options:

* Get 2 Raymarine eS series, one for each helm.
* Get a Raymarine E series for the cockpit helm and stream to an iPad/Android in the pilothouse.

My understanding is that E series allows full control of the multifunction from the tablet. eS series only allows remote viewing.

A few questions I have:
* Is it realistic to use the tablet in the pilothouse? How good is it from a responsiveness POV?
* Will I have access to ALL the functions from the tablet including autopilot control, radar etc...?
* If I go with the 2 * eS series instead, how does it work with the map chips. Can networked devices share their maps or will I need to buy map chips for each device. If they can share, I am assuming the server device would have to be on for the client device to be able to get the map data.

Who has experience with this? Any recommendations?
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 22:53   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Raymarine -> Tablet Streaming

I link my a series MDF to my iPad mini.

Basically from my point of view if you know computers it's like using Remote Desktop to link to another Pc via the wifi connection.

So in effect you are actually working on your MDF from the iPad.

Does this answer your question ?

Rgards

MikeF

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

MFD's are now so cheap, that I can hardly imagine not having one at each helm position, including the pilot house. One cartography chip in one MDF (or three in all three) are shared seamlessly among the different MFD's by networking. Provided only that the MFD with the chip you want is turned on.

I use remote tablet control in my system (not Raymarine, but B&G working on the same principles) and find it extremely useful. It works well, but is not as responsive as the actual MFD, and has no hardware buttons obviously -- as someone said above, the experience is like remote control of one PC from another. The best use of this is if you need to operate the system from an occasional position like under the sprayhood or from your bunk on a long passage, or propped up in the galley while cooking. Very useful, but not, in my opinion, a good replacement for a real MFD.

I don't have a pilothouse (and really wish I did), but I do spend a great deal of time at the nav table, the nerve center of the boat, when I have enough crew to have someone topsides on watch. I also do all passage planning from there. I have a regular MFD down there (a B&G Zeus), plus a couple of smaller MFD instruments (one B&G Triton, one Maretron DSM250). But I also use OpenCPN on a PC, displayed on a 22" 4K screen, which is extremely useful for different things, especially passage planning, as the large screen is almost equivalent to paper charters for getting a larger overview.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:31   #4

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Hi All,

I have a dual helm vessel and am going to upgrade with some new electronics. At this point I am trying to decide between these options:

* Get 2 Raymarine eS series, one for each helm.
* Get a Raymarine E series for the cockpit helm and stream to an iPad/Android in the pilothouse.

My understanding is that E series allows full control of the multifunction from the tablet. eS series only allows remote viewing.

A few questions I have:
* Is it realistic to use the tablet in the pilothouse? How good is it from a responsiveness POV?
* Will I have access to ALL the functions from the tablet including autopilot control, radar etc...?
* If I go with the 2 * eS series instead, how does it work with the map chips. Can networked devices share their maps or will I need to buy map chips for each device. If they can share, I am assuming the server device would have to be on for the client device to be able to get the map data.

Who has experience with this? Any recommendations?

I have 2 e series - one at the helm, one at the nav station. I do occasionally stream the MFD to a tablet. It will not allow control of the AP, however, which the MFD does. Otherwise its pretty good but I do not think I would like to rely on it. Sometimes the connection is balky and it is a little slower reacting. It does work however, and you can do everything you can do with the MFD (other than AP control) but it is a little more tedious without real buttons and knobs. I haven't tested how far it will stay connected but it is wifi so should give good reach.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine