Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 19:29   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot - NO DATA error

If your AP is also connected connected to a MFD.... Plotter...

Check that there are no conflicts in the setup config mode for autopilot on the MFD
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 17:35   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Jon,

If the head unit displays various rudder angles the the course computer is booted and running.

Sorry spell check got me. If the rudder angle display (smile) changes with rudder movement then the course computer is up and running. The head unit gets that data from the course computer.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:57   #18

Can anyone tell me what kind of cable is used to connect the ST6001 display unit to the computer. Would it be Seatalk or just MNEA. There are just 2 connectors on the current wire which I am trying to source as a replacement.

Jon
Jon Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 22:48   #19

Display needs Seatalk cable as a minimum. But the controller can also use NMEA data from a plotter. So it depends on how you plan to use the system. If you are going to use a PC as your chart plotter and you want to navigate to GPS waypoints then you also need an NMEA cable.

There should be 2 Seatalk connectors and a 2-pin NMEA connector on the back. You need a Seatalk cable with standard 3-pin connector at one end and bare wires at the other to connect to course computer. You will need another Seatalk cable if there are more Seatalk devices than just the controller. NMEA uses 2 small push-on connectors and the wire is just twisted pair.

Raymarine have PDFs of all their manuals on their web site. I recommend downloading them for reference. It's a good idea to read their installation and commissioning guides as there are numerous ways to configure a Raymarine autopilot system.
Old 28-09-2014, 09:04   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Jon

I am just going through a similar problem at the moment with my ST6001plus and S2 course computer, my Auto Pilot (A/P) will randomly not hold a course, the compass “appears” to be sticking and also randomly will show “No Data”

So here are my thoughts

The ST6001 Operating guide says the following about the Message ”NO DATA”

Caused by any of the following situations

• The compass not connected
• The autopilot is wind vane mode and has not received wind data for 30 seconds
• The autopilot is in Track mode and
o The A/P has not received Sea talk navigation data or
o The position sensor (GPS, LORAN,Decca) is receiving a low strength signal – this will clear when the signal improves

Check connections to the compass, wind instrument and navigator

NOTE
The A/P stops adjusting he heading as soon as it loses data

Ok, to take these one at a time

The compass
Try turning in slow but steady circles with the A/P in Standby mode and watch the headings displayed. It should move smoothly and regularity and not get stuck on certain headings. Also try the resistance test in the RAYMARINE Link about

If the resistance test is OK, the heading is showing smoothly and the heading is showing on the display head, it is probably not the compass.

The autopilot is wind vane mode
Check the pilot is not in wind vane mode and the wind display is working and check ALL the Seatalk connectors are fully plugged in to the display heads so that all are sending/receiving Data

This should confirm that the Wind vane is connected

The autopilot is in Track mode
Check it is NOT in Track mode and also check that the St6001 is showing GPS data by cycling through the Display button,

This should confirm the GPS connection is OK

Rudder sensor
In Standby, if the rudder angle is displayed on the display head and moves when you move the wheel, this should confirm the rudder sensor is OK

Seatalk Connections
Also check that the Seatalk connection to the Course computer DOES NOT have the Red wire connected as if it is, it could try and operate the A/P through the Seatalk daisy chain if the A/P is off and the instruments are on, which will blow fused etc.

If you can find someone who is prepared to lend you a compatible course computer, this will help your diagnostics. If you can find one, a second hand course computer working will cost between $500 to $800

As other people have said, get and read the manuals and RayMarine on line help is pretty good

You want to avoid having to fit the latest Raymarine A/P if you can, it will probably cost you $2,500 to $3,000 plus fitting by the time you have converted part of your boat from NMEA 0183 and Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG and NMEA2K

As you have a solid fault, it should be easier to find, Good luck!!!
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 08:58   #21

Transmitterdan and Triumphant - thank you both for your comprehensive replies. Boat is hauled out in Antigua for hurricane season and will be returning there in 2 weeks and will follow your ideas. As all was working fine until shortly before I hauled, I suspect I may have corrosion in the cable and will replace it first so I know I have a good connection to the computer. My chartplotter is a separate (non Raymarine) unit but all my other instruments are Raymaine (wind, depth, SOG, and all connected to the same Raymarine computer.)
Jon Constantine. s/y Imagine Of Falmouth.
Jon Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Constantine View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of cable is used to connect the ST6001 display unit to the computer. Would it be Seatalk or just MNEA. There are just 2 connectors on the current wire which I am trying to source as a replacement.

Jon
John,

If you are referring to the wire connection between the computer and control head it is probably Seatalk. There is a decision that has to be made about where power comes from in a Seatalk network. If the control unit is networked with other instruments (wind, depth, GPS, etc.) via Seatalk then power usually comes from some starting point and flows through all the instruments. In that case, the Seatalk power wire (red) is normally not connected at the course computer because the course computer also sources power. It's a bad idea to have 2 sources of power in a Seatalk network. So if you have a yellow (data) and a black or grey (ground) wire going to the computer then it's probably Seatalk with the red wire not connected. The Seatalk connector at the control unit will be either the standard 3-wire smile connector or just 3 small push-on connectors (maybe 2). There will be 2 Seatalk connections at the pilot controller in that case. The other one will be the standard Seatalk cable daisy chained to all the instruments.

In your case I would guess the NMEA data goes directly to the course computer and not to the control head.
Old 29-05-2015, 04:21   #23

Boat: 35ft Catamaran, (Richard Wood's Mira) 1989
Send a message via MSN to Molto Cattiva

After I changed the location of the dashboard of the instruments my autopilot says NO DATA error.
Sometimes, when the instrument panel power on, I hear the voice of the motor, sometimes not.
When I manually try to turn the rudder by +1(10) or -1(10), the AP device turns off - and sometimes fuse is off.

When I press the red AUTO button, I get an onscreen message "NO DATA"
I can see the rudder angle display. But it is not changing. Stable at 15 degrees to right side.

I removed the arm and checked the wiring, nothing seems to be bad.

I also have Raymarine instruments which are all interconnected. they are ST60's. (or 50) SeaTalk works properly (When I set up the light level at any instrument, all instruments set the lights also)

Wind instrument is bad working. In general it is out of order. But last year, when AP was working properly, wind instrument also DID NOT WORK. When I push auto+standby (wind wane mode) again NO DATA..

I have tested the fluxgate + rudder p. sensor according to the Raymarine test procedure, they seem to work normal.

Chartplotter (Raymarine A70d) is working interesting. I updated the software, probably 2012 version is on. Connects to gps, after 10-20 seconds, it is ok. And shows where the boat is, but displays, my boat goes backwards in stead of forward. At all heading modes, the map turns to the all sides, not heading forward.
The degree is correct at chartplotter, but the autopilot module is not changing - displaying the correct degree/way. (I put heading, after going stable to a well known target)

I have tried many times, calibration at 2kts, - 5kts.. Even in the harbour, without any waves or wind...
But, DEVIATION is 50 degrees.. But, I didnt change the place of the fluxgate compass.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Molto Cattiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine