Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2011, 10:19   #1

raymarine st6000

have a raymarine linear drive st6000 on an irwin 38 heading for panama and australia and suddenly it says stlk fail.
I assume this is a failure of the sealink cable and i bypass the cable by taking the head directly to the 300 driver unit and hard wiring it...it still says stlk fail.
all connections are good to the driver unit.
Am in the bahamas and no raymarine agents here.
Anyone has advice or have the same problem?
peter

Old 21-12-2011, 11:42   #2

Boat: 38ft Irwin center cockpit sloop MERIDIAN
Re: raymarine st6000

I have a similar setup on my Irwin 38, but with a newer 150/400 course computer. There are two fused circuits in the computer, one for the drive clutch, and one for the SeaTalk circuit. Have you checked these fuses?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:10   #3

cpt465-thanks mate-seems to only be one general fuse in the control box and that's ok-can't find fuse anywhere else even though I'd like to.
Old 21-12-2011, 20:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"

I recommend that you contact Raymarine Technical Support for specific troubleshooting information.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 18:07   #5

thanks jim but raymarine don't support their equipment like they should-they have a good solid market but support few agents around the world-or maybe few agents take on a raymarine agency because they make it difficult-many have complained to me that raymarine talk the talk but don't do the walk...
Old 22-12-2011, 18:53   #6

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

Hi Peter,

I had the same problem this summer in Annapolis with my ST5000. It just said STLK FAIL and won't play with the other instruments anymore. Raymarine doesn't have the parts or inclination to support the ST5000 even though it is only seven years old.

I ended up replacing the single control head unit with a ST 70 control head unit and an SmartPilot X-10 Corepack. I kept the same compass and linear drive unit. It was a $1700 upgrade but I must admit that the new system is better at driving the boat.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:08   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"

Peter,

Your call to Raymarine gave you all the information to ascertain the root of the STLK FAIL. Have you determined what component of the system is faulty. This should be the first order of business before deciding to replace or repair anything.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 20:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

ST6001+ Gives NO PILOT and / or STLK FAIL

help URGENT RAYMARINE autopilot ST6000+ STLK FAIL ERROR MESSAGE - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Stuck in Italy. Raymarine advice urgntly needed. - Yachting and Boating World Forums

From these threads, I gather the problem could be a bad cable (unplug everything but the AP), low voltage, or a failure of the head itself.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:20   #9

The failure of the st6000 system is almost systemic for the failure of raymarine to provide decent backup to their products and they only react when the word gets out their sytems are not up to decent marine standards.I crossed the atlantic single handed in 2007 and the raymarine collapsed 4 days out putting me in a very dangerous position-took 36 days then to reach the azores where there were 4 others with similar autohelm problems-raymarine didn,t even answer my letter to them...raymarine will stand or fall by their loyalty to customers-they're failing badly along with their faulty products.
Old 25-12-2011, 22:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter keating View Post
The failure of the st6000 system is almost systemic for the failure of raymarine to provide decent backup to their products and they only react when the word gets out their sytems are not up to decent marine standards.I crossed the atlantic single handed in 2007 and the raymarine collapsed 4 days out putting me in a very dangerous position-took 36 days then to reach the azores where there were 4 others with similar autohelm problems-raymarine didn,t even answer my letter to them...raymarine will stand or fall by their loyalty to customers-they're failing badly along with their faulty products.
Why do you guys choose to diss Raymarine all the time?
If you left to do a trans Atlantic with having to rely solely on electronics, then that is plane stupid.
Who installed your Raymarine System? Did you try to contact them?
Raymarine is one of the biggest vendors of electronics, both to the public, and the military. Everything breaks and we seldom hear of all the working systems that are properly installed and totally reliable.....poor installation and faulty electrical systems are the cause of so many issues with ALL marine electronics
Old 26-12-2011, 07:15   #11

Boat: Tartan 33R

Peter,

One thing you might try. If you have other instruments hooked into the ST bus, say depth, wind, gps, .... Try removing all but the core autopilot parts. If one of the other components fails and it is tied into the autopilot it will take out the AP and you can get the seatalk fail message.
Old 26-12-2011, 18:29   #12

Peter, the error message you are getting points to a sea talk failure, true it could be the cable, but it might well be either the course computer or the ST6000 control head. You eliminated the plotter since you connected the control head directly to the course computer, I assume of course you got the connections right. Can you borrow a control head from anybody and possibly a course computer? You can make up your own sea talk cable to eliminate that. It's only three wires, your manual should give the correct connections.
I am at home with my pc at the ready if I can be of any more help. I even have a ST6001 in a box if you get desperate.
Bazzer
Old 26-12-2011, 19:09   #13
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer
Why do you guys choose to diss Raymarine all the time?
If you left to do a trans Atlantic with having to rely solely on electronics, then that is plane stupid.
Who installed your Raymarine System? Did you try to contact them?
Raymarine is one of the biggest vendors of electronics, both to the public, and the military. Everything breaks and we seldom hear of all the working systems that are properly installed and totally reliable.....poor installation and faulty electrical systems are the cause of so many issues with ALL marine electronics
Ray marine in themselves don't have any military products. Flir does not ray though.

I've always found them very helpful, ringing their technical support in the UK.

Dave
Old 26-12-2011, 19:11   #14
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer
Peter, the error message you are getting points to a sea talk failure, true it could be the cable, but it might well be either the course computer or the ST6000 control head. You eliminated the plotter since you connected the control head directly to the course computer, I assume of course you got the connections right. Can you borrow a control head from anybody and possibly a course computer? You can make up your own sea talk cable to eliminate that. It's only three wires, your manual should give the correct connections.
I am at home with my pc at the ready if I can be of any more help. I even have a ST6001 in a box if you get desperate.
Bazzer
I find the sea talk push fit connectors always give problems. That's where Id focus. Also the power supply to the seatslk bus may have failed.
Old 30-12-2011, 11:49   #15

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I had a similar problem last spring when i put my boat in the water, in my case no Raymarine instruments work properly, they all indicated Sea Talk failure. I found the problem by disconnecting every Sea Talk connection one by one and the wind indicator was found to be the problem. I disconnected it until i Recieved a new one and everything was find from then on., hope it help

Tags
raymarine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: