Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 07:42   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Raymarine ST60 and Raymarine C80

We have just replaced the old instruments with a set of Raymarine ST60s speed, depth and wind. Just don't ask about the 5 trips up the mast to do the windy thingy

We also have a Raymarine C80 sat under the sprayhood as a chart plotter which may or may not get the RADAR a somepoint in the future.

Anyway is there any advantage to wiring up the ST60s to the Raymarine C80 chart plotter? what extra would it provide us?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 08:34   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
If you have the separate ST60 instruments, then the same information could be displayed on the C80. It would give you redundancy--if the instrument failed, but the transducer worked, you would still have the information on the C80.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 08:55   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO35
Redundancy and one place to look but I prefer the ST60 displays. If it is easy to do on your 31 then nothing lost by doing it. Radar is very much worth adding, cross channels in 'interesting' conditions become a lot safer.

"Only Robinson Crusoe gets all his jobs done by Friday"
Iota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 22:26   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
It most definitely is worth it, in my opinion. I hooked up my C70 to my ST50 (wind, depth, log), as well as my autopilot via SeaTalk. While I use the ST50 displays for the info in general, it's nice having the data repeated on the chartplotter. It's just two wires - yellow and black (skip the red unless you really want to link power).
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 01:59   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Folks thanks, good idea about being able to repeat the information for the sake of adding an additional wire incase one of the instruments dies.

Trips up the mast, well

First trip up the mast with a large screwdriver found the old Stowe wind sensor was fitted with large self tappers that had been in place for 20 years and just wouldn't move.

Second trip up the mast I was armed with an impact driver. Nope couldn't move the self tappers.

Third trip up the mast armed with an angle grinder. 30 seconds later old windy thing removed and new ST60 cable installed. Holes drilled and new ST60 lined up only to find the self tapping screws from Raymarine are made from chocolate and promptly rounded off. Ray even supply a drill so it was deffinately the right size hole rather than my error for once.

Fourth trip I bottled it due the wind strength and called a rigger. He wanted £150 ($225) and did I have a new topping lift? Yes. Did I have a new spinnaker halyard? yes. Did I replace the spinnaker pulley block at the top of the mast? oh for gods sake

Fifth trip up the mast armed with new self tappers, job done, switched instruments on and prayed. Yippie it works

Pete
Old 20-10-2009, 06:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Anyway is there any advantage to wiring up the ST60s to the Raymarine C80 chart plotter? what extra would it provide us?
How yes. It will give you extra vectors, (yellow for wind) it will show you your "drift" (blue named tide) it will give a magic up to the second information on the way you move and you will be able to take decision wich in the past would have taken a lot of time to calculate. But of course you will have to calibrate your knots meter, your wind direction and together, with your Cog and Sog you will have at your disposition a powerfull and reliable navigation tool and this just for a 9 Watt of power consumption (C 70), peanuts compared to a PC. When I am on the hook I like the radar to mark my neighbors and navigation buoys, like this if I come back in the dark I know where they are even if I cannot see them in the dark.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 11:12   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chala, sounds like I need to dig the manuals out again and start reading, Thanks

Pete
Old 20-10-2009, 16:45   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
as Chala said, do it. its usefull and effectively its only the cost of a cable. Note that with standard ST60 instruments you dont get any redundancy as the ST instrument provides the interface, so if the WInd or speed or depth instrument goes then the C series will not display it either as the sensor are not "network" types
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 22:20   #9

Boat: OC43 - Nave Rara
They meant if ST60 LCD DISPLAY goes out, then you can still read it on C70, but as goboating said, if the instrument fails its info will fail as well.
negrini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, raymarine, st60