Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 08:01   #1

Raymarine ST 6000+ setup

HiI have just installed a Raymarine autopilot, linear drive 1, 400 AST course computer and ST 6000+ control unit. I am pretty sure everything is installed correct. I have not been sailing with it, the boat hasnt moved since.
The display shows a totally wrong heading, and when i push yhe AUTO button, the rudder turns all the way to either port or starboard, where the boats rudderstop stops the movements, but the drive unit keeps on working. I shut it off immidielty.
Why does it push the rudder all the way, and why dosnt the linear drive stop, when meeting the rudderstop?
I can see in the manual, that there is something called AUTOLEARN, but not a word about how to make it do that. If anyone has a manual about setting up, i would really appriciate it!

Regards
Jesper
jesperht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:12   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Raymarine ST 6000+ setup

Did you perform the dockside setup? You have to do both the dockside and the seatrial setup. These are detailed in the install manual.
Old 17-04-2013, 09:04   #3

Boat: Mac 26X
I've just set up and used for 3 weeks the ST2000 Tiller Pilot. Yes very different I know. But the principle would be the same. I don't see how you would get a proper "heading" while at the dock, don't you have to be moving? Mine has a very extensive setup in the manual call "commissioning". Do you not have that? Just my thoughts
Old 17-04-2013, 09:16   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

As suggested above, do the required setup proceedures and take the boat out to swing the Fluxgate... My guess is your problems will be solved.

When sitting still, the GPS/Fluxgae compass locates your boat, but sometimes doesn't know what direction you are going without movement, especially when you have just turned on the unit. This could cause the auto pilot to try and turn your rudder when sitting still using the incorrect bearing line.

Another thing to check is that no metals or electric wires are near the fluxgate compass...

Electric wires carrying current or magnetic metals will cause the Fluxgate to throw off the compass (deviation) off significantly.

My wife once placed her guitatr amp 3 feet from the Fluxgate Compass, which caused the bearing on the boat's electronics (Chartplotter/Auto Pilot) to read 140 degrees off. The chart plotter displayed the Heading marker going one way and the boat icon slipping sideways across the screen.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 23:14   #5

Thank you for your answers!I found a manual with the calibration part, i didnt have that!
After the dockside calibration and sea calibration, everything works perfect!
Strange feeling, sailing without doing anything but drinking coffee !
jesperht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine