View Poll Results: What is most reliable & supported Nav electronics brand
Raymarine 10 71.43%
Garmin 2 14.29%
SIMRAD 1 7.14%
B&G 1 7.14%
Furuno 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 23:49   #31

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Re: Raymarine setup - feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Lots of good input in this thread, my 2cts:
- EV400 sail works great, so much better than the previous S3, very easy to setup. Great choice. A friend of mine is still trying to figure out how to calibrate his B&G pilot after 2 years ...
- I lost the radar 2 years ago, seems I can live without it. I mostly used it to check for clouds...
- AIS: Some problems with the raymarine 650 unit on a friends boat. We would need to reboot it from time to time. But that was about 4 years ago, could be fine now. I am rather happy with the vespermarine xb8000. Not such much with their VHF splitter. I would advice a dedicated AIS antenna if possible.
- MFD: lost it with the radar, I ended up doing pretty well with navionics on my smartphone when approaching unknown anchorages. Almost free. I use Opencpn a lot and mostly control the AP from inside the boat.

As someone said already, you should draw a diagram. I did that, it took me quite some time to be convinced I had a the best possible setup and then I purchased quite precisely what was needed (number & length of cables, connectors, ...). Installing the components became the easiest part.
Thanks. I have a lot of the equipment installed now:

1 x i70s
1 x p70s
1 x EV400
1 x Sail Pack (including DST800)
1 x Quantum 2
1 x Axiom Pro 9"
1 x Vesper XB800 (the reviews were too good so went with Vesper instead of Raymarine on this item. VERY happy with Vesper)

Really really happy with it so far. Would add another i70s above companion way and one more at chart table when funds allow.

I have been using SeaTrac in Louisana and very happy with there service. Have also contacted Raymarine from time to time - who have been great. Even rang Airmar once and they were awsome over the phone too.

AG
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:06   #32

Boat: Catalina 36
Raymarine setup - feedback

I have a lot of RM hardware, plus some N2K gear. It is not as hard as people would have you believe.

The boat came with an e7D and RM HD radar.

I’ve added 2 i70’s, P70, ev200, itc5, wind, dst800, yacht devices log and WiFi using Seatalkng
connections and backbone. I have Noland Engineering RS11, Actisence NGW-1, Fusion radio and remote using RM N2K to seatalk device cables.

Where folks really screw up is connecting a SeatalkNG backbone to a N2K backbone. There are no premise cables, some try and use the STNG/N2K device cables but only end up with one too many terminating resisters or a split backbone. You can make the cable by cutting up a STNG backbone cable and putting N2K ends on it.

I just put the yacht devices on at the end of season but like the capabilities they bring.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 20:47   #33

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Raymarine setup - feedback

Raymarine definitely has the largest recreational market share. Furuno has the largest commercial share and makes some of the most robust equipment out there. If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Tags
marine, raymarine