Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 08:38   #31

Re: Raymarine SeatalkNG cable question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
To be clear, are you recommending that the Raymarine converter will work properly if it is connected to the n2k backbone via the Raymarine ng-n2k adapter drop cable to one of the yellow connections? Then the blue connections would have what? Caps, terminations?
Yes it works fine. But to one of the whites. There is only one yellow. That is the seatalk input. Leave the blues empty. I don't think they make caps for those.

It becomes a single device drop. Which follows n2k standards. As long as you don't fill the other white port. (Adding more stng things would still work,but go against standards)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 09:04   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Thanks for clarifying, that was my interpretation of RM's instructions as well.
Ditto.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 13:14   #33

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Yes it works fine. But to one of the whites. There is only one yellow. That is the seatalk input. Leave the blues empty. I don't think they make caps for those.

It becomes a single device drop. Which follows n2k standards. As long as you don't fill the other white port. (Adding more stng things would still work,but go against standards)
Yeah I crossed my colors, thanks. That's good to know that the st to ng converter can be used as a single device drop. Really makes the connections easy if you don't have access to the end of your backbone.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 18:39   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

OK. Did the initial install today. Connected the Seatalk - SeatalkNG converter to one end of my NMEA2000 backbone per instructions. Powered up and the Simrad AP controller immediately found it and set that as the default source for boat speed and depth.

Yeah.

Final step, I have to bring out the Garmin plotter (keep that at home in case it decides to grow legs and walk away) and plug that in.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17   #35

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I am not at all familiar with nmea 2000. I have 15 year old raymarine and 0183 system and have liked being able to send data back and forth from open cpn using nmea 0183 bus. My rn320 gps is now unusable and i would like to replace it. I have looked at the sea talk to 2000 cable and wonder if I can just use this and a raymarine plotter to do the same interfacing as the old gps or am I going to need a ton of other equipment.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26   #36

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I am not at all familiar with nmea 2000. I have 15 year old raymarine and 0183 system and have liked being able to send data back and forth from open cpn using nmea 0183 bus. My rn320 gps is now unusable and i would like to replace it. I have looked at the sea talk to 2000 cable and wonder if I can just use this and a raymarine plotter to do the same interfacing as the old gps or am I going to need a ton of other equipment.
I'm sure others will reply but I had your identical problem. I purchased a new GPS antenna/sender from Digital Yacht that bare wire ends. I simple connected these wires to the data input wires on the back of the RM chart plotter. The chart plotter is able to accept nmea 0183 directly and convert the output to the appropriate seatalk the rest of your system is currently using.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:15   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I'm not sure what you question is. your old chart plotter has died and you want to replace it with a new one, but still be able to send data to open cn?
some plotter still have nmea 183 output. or converters are available.

or you want to buy nothing / very little to keep open cn going?
you could just buy a nmea 183 gps antenna and plug into open cn PC. and have no ray screen.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13   #38

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I am running open cpn on a windows pc. It is networked through nmea 0183 and seatalk convertor. I have been spoiled with the ease of transfering waypoints to the rn320 which will then send the appropiate sentences to the cockpit and I can see range and bearing to waypoint. I also get wind information at the chart table on the rn320. I have used this setup across the pacific and asia . The plotters I have found seem to need to transfer waypoints via a sd card like the old sneaker net instead of through nmea cableing. Just looking for help to find a gps display at the chart table to get back what I had.

Tags
marine, raymarine, seatalk