Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-09-2010, 19:13   #16

Boat: C&C 40
Wow! Broke the tiller arm. What system was that? I will get a rudder reference sensor for the actual install, once I get this computer issue taken care of. I'll let you guys know how I make out. Just one question, the type 2 linear drive I have looks power hungry ( 30A ), the type1 only draws half that. Anyone have this unit and do you think I will need a dedicated battery bank?

Old 21-09-2010, 20:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkmil View Post
... Just one question, the type 2 linear drive I have looks power hungry ( 30A ), the type1 only draws half that. Anyone have this unit and do you think I will need a dedicated battery bank?
Electrical devices like this tend to draw only the power they need to do the job. So you may never need 30A. I have a very easily helmed boat. The Type 1 I have draws very little - nothing near it's rated draw - and then only intermittently.

More batteries does not get you more power. That's the mistake my PO made. More solar panels get you more power. The battery bank just needs to last overnight.

You won't know the characteristics until you sail with it. Keep the GAIN and RESPONSE as low as practical.

Old 21-09-2010, 20:55   #18

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
It was a type three drive that broke the Edson tiller arm on the rudder post. Hydrauliics are very powerful.
Old 27-09-2010, 19:03   #19

I took the course computer back to Raymarine and they fixed (replaced ) it for $699. Ouch! They don't really repair circuit boards and I can understand this to some extent. My old computer was the non G version S3. They replaced it at my asking with the G version, SG3. They gave me the new board in my old box so I opened it to see what was different, particularly the rate gyro. The new board looks just like the new one. I did not remove the board from the case so I don't know if it is under there. Does anyone know what a gyro looks like and where it is on the computer. I am probably just a little paranoid but I would like to be assured that I got what I paid for. Thanks M
Old 27-09-2010, 19:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkmil View Post
Has anyone done a swap or repair and how did it go ( cost )? Thanks
Two years ago mine got toasted by lightning. They swapped the damaged 8 year old units for new at about half the street price of new instruments. Gave me a warranty too.
I'd say it went well.

BTW mine wouldn't work without a position sensor.
Old 27-09-2010, 19:20   #21

They told me that was what they thought happened to mine too. I thought the price was OK considering a new unit. The tech basically said he thought the SG3 was better than the newer X series. Does anyone know what a rate gyro sensor looks like?
Old 27-09-2010, 21:22   #22

The rate gyro is likely a chip like any other. Probably hard to spot. You can Google chip numbers from the board. E.g. ADXRS612
Old 27-09-2010, 21:31   #23

Thanks, I have both boards side by side and they look identical, but like you said it may be hard to identify. There is a small power pug with what looks like three wires that are routed under the circuit board. Maybe the sensor is below the board.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:26   #24

Boat: Hunter 45CC
You found your 'G' !

You found it, that's the gyro. Should be a (probably silver) box on the end of the wires.

IMHO your best bet is to close up that cover and just trust Ray did right by you.

I'd say the replacement was a good deal especially if you got the G upgrade thrown in.

With the Gyro, mine is accurate enough to use in narrow channels even with chop running. The gyro enables the brain to take pitch and roll into account, not just heading. Well worth it IMHO.

Duncan
Old 28-09-2010, 20:23   #25

Thanks Duncan, I thought that might be it. It says on there web site that you can add the G feature by purchasing an external sensor or you can have a dealer install a internal one. I doubt these dealers are soldering a chip on one of these boards. And I should have a little more trust, but........

Just because your paranoid it doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you!

Tags
autopilot, raymarine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: