Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 23:54   #16

Boat: Molenmakermantelkotter; Motorsailer; 11,5 m
Re: Raymarine RNS Software

I find this forum about RSN software, but do not know,yet, how to start a theme.
That's why I ask, is there any one who install the 6.2 version on a laptop with Vista 64?
I got this Laptop but he refuse to install RSN 6.1 or 6.2 ask for Service pack one and than tell me that it can't be installed!!
There is response, but he can not find the needed livestyle jpg's he said!
On my PC its working!
simonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 05:43   #17

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I'll give an opposing view here. I built my boat in 2007 and wanted to use the RNS software at the nav station and an e80 at the helm. The RNS software setup was less than easy and its continued to be fickle since. Sometimes it hangs. Its slow. The loading of charts is a bit problematic.

I can get it to work if I play with it enough but, quite honestly, I do this stuff for a living and really don't want to deal with it on my boat. I went to a MAC in 2008 to get off an unreliable windows platform and I really don't want to risk my life on Microsoft reliability.

I found an E120 on ebay and replaced the e80 at the helm. I'm using the e80 at the nav station and just networking the two together. Much more reliable and I don't need to deal with windows software and RNS issues.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 06:53   #18

Here, here. I too think that Windows is the weak link in many (perhaps most) navigation products. I'm quite disappointed to find that my Furuno NavNet 3D chart plotters are all Windows CE based, and it explains the frequent crashes.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 18:43   #19

I know have RNC fully running on my system using my MacBook via bootcamp. It's running great. I think the most useful use is planning and updating the E80 in realtime. I have downloaded a bunch of waypoints in a file and was able to load them onto my system no sweat!
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:18   #20

Boat: Lagoon 40

Does anyone know where I can get a demo version of the RNS 6.2 software? I am trying to get my laptop to talk to my instruments using a E85001 Seatalk to NMEA interface, but I have a Windows 7 laptop and Ray Tech 4.1 The software runs but does not detect any instruments. I suspect it does not support Windows 7, but it seems the version 6.2 does. I saw reference on a website to a demo version that is no longer available. I wold happily buy the full version if I know all my hardware will work with it - so the demo seems a good way to "test drive"

Any help appreciated.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a demo version of the RNS 6.2 software?
I doubt that the demo will allow you to use your instruments. By asking directly Raymarine @ Raymarine Technical Forum you may get a more valuable answer to your question.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 20:27   #22

Boat: Lagoon 40

Well i had some success today. I downloaded some free GPS software that was not much use for navigation as far as i could see - but it did hellp me identify which COMM port was in use, and see NMEA sentences. It turned out to be port 6. So I loaded up Ray tech 4.1 (using Windows 7) selected COMM port 6, messed with baud rate (set it to 4800), and it worked. I can now see all my instruments except radar. I am not sure if my plotter puts radar data on seatalk or not, so will have to do a bit more research on that - or try moving from the dock and see if that makes a difference, as it was saying it could not find my heading. Anyway, seems like significant progress.
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 23:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

What's also really cool is that there are versions of RNS which work with the older RLxCRC+ MFD's and Pathfinder radars. The functions are more or less the same. I have one of these, never used, with a complete set of interface boxes and adaptors, surplus to requirements. If anyone wants to buy it cheap, PM me.

Sorry to the OP for brief thread drift/hijack -- now back to your regularly scheduled discussion
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 23:33   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Well i had some success today. I downloaded some free GPS software that was not much use for navigation as far as i could see - but it did hellp me identify which COMM port was in use, and see NMEA sentences. It turned out to be port 6. So I loaded up Ray tech 4.1 (using Windows 7) selected COMM port 6, messed with baud rate (set it to 4800), and it worked. I can now see all my instruments except radar. I am not sure if my plotter puts radar data on seatalk or not, so will have to do a bit more research on that - or try moving from the dock and see if that makes a difference, as it was saying it could not find my heading. Anyway, seems like significant progress.
Radar, which is a very high bandwidth application, cannot be put on Seatalk. It is sent over HSB2 or Ethernet depending on the MFD you are using.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 00:40   #25
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Radar, which is a very high bandwidth application, cannot be put on Seatalk. It is sent over HSB2 or Ethernet depending on the MFD you are using.
You may be able to have the tracked target messages (TTL or TTR I think) for MARPA tracked targets over NMEA, but not the raw RADAR data.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 08:11   #26

Of interest. Voyage Planner building a route is extremely difficult and slow without chart quilting - Raymarine Technical Forum

Quote:
“It is disappointing that Ratech RNS will no longer be supported and will not work in Windows 8. It is excellent software for planning and navigating if needed.”

Also.
Raytech RNS 6.2 can't read Navionics Platinum CF card - Raymarine Technical Forum

Quote:
“verify that you are using Navionics cartography which has been stored on CF memory by Navionics. RayTech software is not compatible with Navionics cartography stored on other types of memory cards and is not compatible with the A62311 Raymarine Cartography Adapter”
Future of Raytech - Raymarine Technical Forum

To be noted: Navionics carthography Micro SD card suitable for new c series MFD’s (c95..) will not work with classic (C70…) and A (A50…) series MFD’s
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 19:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Im currently looking at getting a C90W unit for use at the helm. Is it possible to connect a laptop to the C90W and my other raymarine instruments and be able to do the following:

1. Route planning and plotting on laptop then send waypoints/routes to C90W.

2. Display radar on laptop and AIS info?

I am trying to avoid a second Chartplotter and simply have a laptop or dedicated computer at the nav station below. If I am reading correctly I need an E series unit to do the above?
We have a C90W and purchased a multiplexer (Brookhouse) to connect everything to the chart plotter. We we able to get the position fix to the PC, but the boat would travel sideways on the C90W. After more reading found out the multiplexer and C90W did not work together, so it is out. Also we like Nuno Navigator for plotting, cheap and works good and integrated with Active Captain. After reading I figured out I need the Raymarine $50 program to upload routes. To end the long story I am buying a GPS mouse for the PC and the Raymarine software. Just easier and offers 100% redundancy.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 19:42   #28

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I did exactly what you were asking for 4 years with an E80 and RNS 6.1. It works, but RNS was not as reliable as just putting a second E-series display at the nav station and then doing my chart work there. I really wasn't going to do it much at home anyway.

I found an E120 on e-Bay for a good price and went that route. My RNS was a bit problematic to use as a second display. When it worked, it was fine, but it would often forget the connection it once had, not see the info from devices, etc.. I just didn't want to trust my life to Microsoft based software.

Rick
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine