Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 01:23   #1

Boat: 2002 Cruisers 3572
Raymarine RL80C plus upgrade suggestions

I bought a 2002 Cruisers 3572 that has an rl80c plus in the dash. The guys at the marina said don't bother trying to update the maps or software on it because it's too old. I do like the idea of keeping the radar functionality. Is there a newer system I should be looking at that could be installed with minimal effort? If I could use the same radar dome and GPS antenna I have it would save a lot of hassle.
Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mealsonreels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:15   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Raymarine RL80C plus upgrade suggestions

In short no. Raymarine is three generations ahead in Radar from that unit. It a total do over if you are upgrading.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40   #3

Raymarine does offer a converter to let you keep your depth, speed, and wind transducers, for use with a new MFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13   #4

It is possible to still get new maps for the these plotters. We are looking at a boat that has a Raymarine RL70RC fitted. C-Map by Jeppesen with a C-Card is what you are looking for. Specifically the c-map NT+ family of charts.

See this document for compatibility details:
C-Map Compatability Guide

Here's the coverage range of each cartridge:
Coverage Maps

And here's a randomly selected webstore that sells them:
Landfall Navigation

And now you can see the problem. Each cartridge is retailing for just shy of 200 dollars at most online stores. So if you need to buy more than one it adds up fast. So can you still get updated maps? I believe so, they are still being advertised both by Jeppesen and by online retailers. But I think the real question is, is it worth the money? Or should you just save for a new system?
kinderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:59   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423

Our RL70 series chartplotter and radar are still serviceable. We update the charts through Jeppesen. I am thinking about upgrading the systems to a new generation. I like the looks of the Zeus2 with the sailing specific firmware. I was just on a charter that had a current generation Raymarine chart plotter and was not impressed. The radar was great and charts were clear, but I couldn't find simple things like displaying the bearing and distance to the waypoint set for "Go to curosor". In the end, for me, I'm not sure the cost / benefit is enough for me to upgrade to any of the latest generation chartplotter and radar (and probably autopilot, ST60 equivalent displays, etc). I'm more excited about upgrading my ground tackle from CQR on 30' of BBB and 150' of rode to a Manson or Rocna with all chain.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29   #6

Boat: Swedenyacht 42

My RL80C gave up two years ago and I upgraded to the E97, the graphics are far superior and you can set boxes with distance to waypoint etc. Its just done in a different way to the old system, you can also set different pages with various info. Unfortunately you cannot use your old radar scanner, as that is analogue and the new one is digital. Old St60 instruments can be retained using an interface box, as can the old autopilot. As to the gps antennae, it may be worth replacing, as the old raymarine antennae has an inbuilt battery, which is not user replaceable, mine gave up at 11 years old, I understand this is not unusual.
Richard_jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 13:27   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderwood View Post
It is possible to still get new maps for the these plotters. We are looking at a boat that has a Raymarine RL70RC fitted. C-Map by Jeppesen with a C-Card is what you are looking for. Specifically the c-map NT+ family of charts.

See this document for compatibility details:
C-Map Compatability Guide

Here's the coverage range of each cartridge:
Coverage Maps

And here's a randomly selected webstore that sells them:
Landfall Navigation

And now you can see the problem. Each cartridge is retailing for just shy of 200 dollars at most online stores. So if you need to buy more than one it adds up fast. So can you still get updated maps? I believe so, they are still being advertised both by Jeppesen and by online retailers. But I think the real question is, is it worth the money? Or should you just save for a new system?
Keep in mind regarding chart updates-the rocks & land don't change.
You will get buoy updates if they have been re-located/removed,etc.
You may get new info on land services-restaurants,etc.
Used chart chips are available on ebay substantially cheaper if you can live with manually updating buoy pos.,etc
You may have to Google from your phone for latest land facilities.
The RL80C is a decent radar/plotter for normal purposes.
Old 12-04-2016, 13:59   #8

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Your unit is a very solid capable plotter with a really good radar and there isnt really a compelling reason to upgrade it..

1. you can get updated maps... so unless you have serious operational issues, or a lot of money, you may just decide to stick it out...

2. you may be able to upgrade to later model MFD (an older C or E series) if the serial number of your scanner falls into a certain range (see raymarine website)

3. For a new new system which is all digital comms, you will need to replace the radar scanner, mfd, wiring and also obtain interface units to use your (if you have them) seatalk instruments

If i was the marina i would certainly tell you to throw it all away and pay a fortune for new gear, but i am not, so i would suggest getting new charts and putting the $5k project on the lottery list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealsonreels View Post
I bought a 2002 Cruisers 3572 that has an rl80c plus in the dash. The guys at the marina said don't bother trying to update the maps or software on it because it's too old. I do like the idea of keeping the radar functionality. Is there a newer system I should be looking at that could be installed with minimal effort? If I could use the same radar dome and GPS antenna I have it would save a lot of hassle.
Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine