Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 00:13   #1

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med
Raymarine P70 Autopilot Control Head

The kit for a Raymarine wheel pilot is an EV100. The kit does not come with a rudder reference unit installed at the steering quadrant. My Tasmania yacht has an older Raymarine wheel pilot and has a reference unit and therefore shows rudder angle at the control head. Very, very useful.

Does the EV100 show rudder angle, the kit does not include the reference unit. Can anyone advise please. Or do I need to buy the reference unit as an extra?

I am thinking of installing on EV100 on my Med yacht and I would need a readout for rudder angle. What with all that reversing to tie up Med style!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 07:24   #2

Re: Raymarine P70 Autopilot Control Head

Hi Pat
The flat out answer is yes you can use an existing rudder reference unit that was used in an older autopilot solution. If you need help in setting up look online for the manual 87180-2EN for all ACUs and ACU is just an acronym for autopilot control unit. This manual will take you though the complete installation and show typical example systems. The ACU takes all the inputs analogue and digital and sends output control messages to the drive that is moving your rudder.
tj_tonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:10   #3

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Hi tj tonus and thanks for replying.

I have two yachts. The Tasmanian yacht has an older wheel pilot with the rudder reference unit.
I need to replace the very old pilot on my Med. boat and need to know if an EV200 kit, which seems does not have a rudder indicator unit, will somehow still display rudder angle.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:26   #4

Hi Pat
If you wish to display rudder angle you must fit a rudder reference unit!
The EV-200 kit comes with the following
EV1 - sensor core
ACU-200 actuator (provides the drive to the hydraulic pump)
Type1 pump
p70R pilot head with rotary knob
Cabling

No rudder reference unit is included therefore in this kit; to enable rudder angle to be displayed a separate reference unit needs to be purchased separately.
Regards
Tony
tj_tonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 13:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

The ACU for the Raymarine includes an analog rudder angle reference input even though the kit doesn't include one. Your existing rudder angle unit should wire to it just fine.

Evolution Autopilot Specifications | Raymarine

Scroll down to specifications for the ACU, you'll see the rudder reference input listed.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:14   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
The kit for a Raymarine wheel pilot is an EV100. The kit does not come with a rudder reference unit installed at the steering quadrant. My Tasmania yacht has an older Raymarine wheel pilot and has a reference unit and therefore shows rudder angle at the control head. Very, very useful.

Does the EV100 show rudder angle, the kit does not include the reference unit. Can anyone advise please. Or do I need to buy the reference unit as an extra?

I am thinking of installing on EV100 on my Med yacht and I would need a readout for rudder angle. What with all that reversing to tie up Med style!
The EV100 wheel pilot system does not come with a rudder reference unit. (Systems with linear drives do.)

For an unit using the ACU100, 200, 300, or 400, the course computer will accept a rudder reference input, which is displayed as a bar graph on the P70 or P70R display.

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, head, marine, raymarine