Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32   #16

Boat: RM 1200
Re: Raymarine networking options to OpenCPN

My system currently consists of 10 year old Ray equipment, classic C80 MFD, ST60s, AIS 650, VHF 240. I also have a computer running RayTech down below.

Didnt really like the raytech software, so wanted to install openCPN instead.

Firstly to get all the Seatalk data into the computer. installed a Brookhouse iMUX with Seatalk bridge. This takes the input from both NMEA0183 AND Seatalk 1 and muxes it together. It also have a serial/USB output that connects into the stationary computer, and viola, everything is avaliabe to openCPN. Much better than the ray software!
Now the fun part starts. the iMUX also broadcast everything via Wifi, so laptops with opencpn or ipads with inavX get all the NMEA data and ais data as well.
The last couple of days I have been installing a Radar. Did not want to buy an "oldfashioned" one that only worked on the 10 year old c80. Went with a B&G 4G with the plan to get it into openCPN via the br24 plugin and run it on the stationary computer on the navstation. Would be nice to get it on the laptops and ipads as well...
the iMUX has the ability to connect with another wireless network as a client. Found a standard 4G router that runs on 12V and wired it into the system. Connected the iMUX into this network, and now everything that connects have access to both Internet and all the NMEA data. So far so good. The B&G 4G came with an interfacebox that communicates via ethernet, tho the endplugs are different. Intstallation instructions for the br24 plugin is really good and also describes hardware installation. Cut the ethernetcable from the Ri10, and crimped on a standard RJ45 connector that went into the router. Since I already was on my laptop (connected via Wifi 5gHz band) i figured I'd see if it would work wirelessly first.
Opend openCPN and started the br24 plugin. Wireless radar on the first try. Works beautifully. Also works beautifully on computers connected via normal ethernet cable. Only thing left is to get it to work on android/ipad. plan to do this with VNC as the openCPN radar plugins wont work here as far as I understand.

Few thoughts. Wireless radar is not a problem as long as its planned to be used this way. I have not tried to run it on the 2.4GHz band yet. This is said to make it slower as the radar broadcast adjust to the slowest protocol in use.
The router I have used is not ruggedized, just standard cheap home equipment. The installation is dry, but I do not expect this to last as long as it would home. There is also quite a lot of things that can go wrong in a system like this, converters between seatalk/nmea0183 and nmea0183/nmea200, wireless connections, home gear and so on. I do keep the old NMEA0183 system with MFD and all the sensors untouched to have a more robust core if/when all the cool stuff breaks down. Also have completely standalone navigation.

Few. Long first post...
Tabaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:26   #17

if you already have a seatalk to stgn adapter on board. then just connect the stng network to the vesper ais. via a n2k to stng cable.

if the 127 is using seatalk to talk to the other devices. (not sure if it has or not)

then you will need to adapt the seatalk.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by terah View Post
Thanks Carsten.

I'm still trying to get my head round the current wiring. Is it likely there is is a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter/bus and then we have something like:
  • ST60 devices --> Seatalk to Seatalk NG --> E127
  • Seatalk HS connection from radar to E127
  • E127 --> ST6001

And then for what you are suggesting we just get an adapter cable to go from the Seatalk NG bus to the Vesper?
the 6001 is probably seatalk. so it's probably st60 + 6001 -> stng adatper -> e127
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine, opencpn, raymarine