Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 21:17   #1

Raymarine Linear II Autopilot Spare Parts?

I'm heading off shore later this year for 2-3 years across the Pacific. My 40 foot cruising catamaran currently has a Raymarine Mechanical Linear Drive - Type 2 Long. Can anyone help me understand what spare parts I should have for repair of the autopilot unit? What are the areas that they most likely fail? Are there gears, motors or any electronics that I should plan on taking to deal with the highest probability failures? I don't believe the unit has been used much in the past seven years since it was installed new on the boat at the factory. It appears to be working completely fine right now and I have no issues.

Any guidance or help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Trevor
mctdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 21:23   #2

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Raymarine Linear II Autopilot Spare Parts?

Question asked and answered very recently

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-122054.html
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 21:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

They tend to be very reliable drive units. Failure of the other components of the autopilot (the computer, display, rudder sensor, or fluxgate compass.) is more likely.
The only failure of the drive itself I have heard of is the clutch, but it is quite rare.

Some spare brushes would be sensible and cheap.

My boat has two indepent autopilots, which is rare these days as reliability has improved, but it is worth considering.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:40   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Someone else posted that he and others he knows has broken the bolt that connects the heim joint to the tiller arm. This may be a spare you want to carry.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Someone else posted that he and others he knows has broken the bolt that connects the heim joint to the tiller arm. This may be a spare you want to carry.

Mark
Good point. I have heard of these breaking.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 08:47   #6

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop

Mctdog,

Nothing to say about the auto (mybad) just want to say, AWESOME! Have fun...it's my 9 year plan (was 10 year last year) and I hope that you have a fun and safe cruise. When you leaving? Please post when you have internet...pics and locations!
Old 27-03-2014, 10:16   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44

Think spare motor or and brushes. Spare belt and spare gears. Mine has been very reliable. Failure I had was due to the crap connection on the older control head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 22:18   #8

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Quote:

Mark

Several years ago I broke the bolt connecting the ram to the tiller arm after the backwash from a tug in St. Augustine marina slammed my rudder over hard. Am experienced boat mechanic too me it was not uncommon for this to occur. Jury rigged bolts broke twice on the way back to the Chesapeake.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 22:53   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44

I would think the rudder stop would engage before the ram. If the throw is short and the tiller arm takes the load yeah it would break. But that is the fault of the installer.

sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:24   #10

Since this thread is about the Raymarine T2 Linear drive, and the only reports I have ever heard of a broken heim joint bolt has been on these drives specifically, perhaps this RM part is a weak link in the system and should be better engineered.

This isn't just a common bolt - it is a specialized part that bolts onto the tiller arm and has a pin that the hiem joint slips onto and is captured by a retaining clip. I don't know where the break occurred in those that reported broken ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:31   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I would think the rudder stop would engage before the ram. If the throw is short and the tiller arm takes the load yeah it would break. But that is the fault of the installer.

Think again. If the rudder stop engages before the ram reaches the end of its travel, then the ram can be pushing against the stop and it WILL break/burnout. The installer read the manual and did things correctly.

I would beef up the connection pin and also bring spares for the brushes and plastic gears.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 06:36   #12

No, the rudder stops should always engage before the ram reaches its end of travel. That is explicitly stated in bold and italics in every installation manual I have read. In the commissioning of the drive, the AP will learn where those stops are and prevent it from moving further than the stops.

Mark

Old 30-03-2014, 06:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Just removed my Type 1 due to the clutch not releasing when switching from auto to standby. Took it apart and cleaned the clutch with electra clean. Works fine. If I were going on your voyage and the only auto helm I had was a Raymarine I would carry a back up Linear and control pad.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 07:09   #14

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post

In my case the rudder stop engaged before the ram, the installation was proper according to the manual. Of course you don't have to believe this and take your chances.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 08:28   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
No, the rudder stops should always engage before the ram reaches its end of travel. That is explicitly stated in bold and italics in every installation manual I have read. In the commissioning of the drive, the AP will learn where those stops are and prevent it from moving further than the stops.

Mark

I stand corrected. Thinking more about it, the biggest loads on the system occur when the boat is traveling backwards and someone lets go of the helm and the rudder slams over. The rudder stops are supposedly more robust than the autopilot ram (although the PO of my boat managed to break the plywood bulkhead the stop was attached to).

However, in my defense, my friend's month-old Raymarine linear drive self-destructed when it went hard over and hit the rudder stop. How it did that in a system installed by a Raymarine dealer remains a mystery, but they eventually gave him a new drive.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, parts, raymarine