Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 08:03   #1

Raymarine instrument configuration - i70 and transducers

Dear raymarine experts, I have studied the raymarine website in order to find out a suitable configuration for my needs but, while getting familiar with raymarine products, I came up with many questions.

I have a beneteau 31ft with very obsolete (more than 20 yo) depth and speed displays and two through hull transducers . I do not have a wind station and there is not a wire/ cable in the mast to easily install a wind transducer.

I would like to begin replacing the old speed and depth displays with a raymarine i70 instrument but I am not convinced about which transducer I should install. One good option would be using smart transducers (no need for ICT-5) and get a DST800 Plastic (A22111). However, as I have two holes in the hull I would prefer to replace both transducers. DT800-12 (A22112) would do depth and temperatures but what about the smart transducer for the speed, does it exist?(Question 1) If not why?(Question 2)

If I decide not to use a smart transducer and use an ICT-5 which transducers would be the best?(Question 3) For depth I guess that I should use D800/P17 (E26030) or P19 (M78713-PZ-A), but what is the difference between the two?(Question 4) For speed transducers I can choose between P17 (E25025) and ST800/P120 (E26031), again, what is the difference? (Question 5)

A final doubt is this. I was thinking that in order to simplify the installation of the wind transducer on the mast I could install a wireless wind transmitter (T120) coupled with a multifunction wireless display (T112). However, can this wireless display be connected to the i70 via the seatalk backbone (Question 6).
gloreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 08:46   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Raymarine instrument configuration - i70 and transducers

The Airmar smart transducer for speed/temp is the ST800/ST850. Just order the N2K version and not the analog one.

The PXX numbers are the size/material/thruhull type of the transducer. Make sure you get the one that fits your existing through hulls if you plan to reuse them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The Airmar smart transducer for speed/temp is the ST800/ST850. Just order the N2K version and not the analog one.

The PXX numbers are the size/material/thruhull type of the transducer. Make sure you get the one that fits your existing through hulls if you plan to reuse them.

Mark
Sorry i did not understand the PXX part. For example with P19, 19 stands for what?

I am afraid that i have not a retractable transducers and i need to replace the whole 2 inches thruhull..(
gloreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 16:09   #4

I don't know what the exact numbers stand for - just that they mean different configurations and materials of the transducer. Airmar is very good at answering questions and helping you find the correct transducer. Here is the brochure with some of the info: http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...ures/ST800.pdf

BTW, P19 apparently refers to a depth transducer housing - one that is a plastic (P?), low profile mushroom shape: http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo..._hull%20LR.pdf. They also publish a manufacturer cross-reference for replacing old transducers with new models.

BTBTW, google is your friend for all of this info - just sayin'...

Unless you need the retractable part, these will fit your existing thruhulls (assuming you order the correct model!). For example, we got new DT800 and ST800 transducers that fit just fine in our old, non-retractable thruhulls.

They come with the retractable thruhull included. The next time we hauled out for bottom paint, I swapped the thruhulls so that we would have the retractable ones. They are nice for removing the transducer without any water ingress.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-04-2014, 16:16   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Having gone Raymarine 70 I would revert back to the ST60 stuff myself and probably a lot cheaper KISS
Old 15-04-2014, 16:21   #6

Emmalina, are you talking about the ST70? The OP is discussing the i70, which is a completely different instrument than the ST70.

I have heard negatives about the ST70, but only positives about the i70.

Mark

Tags
marine, men, raymarine, rum