Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2009, 20:09   #31

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
My Raymarine wheelpilot has steered my boat from Canada to Cabo without a whimper,barely touched my wheel the entire distance,even though my boat is heavier than recomended for wheelpilots,still works great.C80 plotter and radar also excellent,no complaints here.I plan to sail to Hawaii and home with same system.The key is to be gentle on locking clutch and never attempt to turn wheel until fully disengaged at display and wheel.I sent in for warranty for weak clutch spring and fluxgate error shortly after purchase,over one year ago,back to me within one week,never been a problem since then.

Old 24-11-2009, 23:38   #32

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
Same story as highseas. Raymarine plotter, radar, fishfinder and pilot all working well. Only problem I ever had was GPS kept missing the satelite when first installed. Call to provider and he arrived with a new one next day and problem solved. I think it is good stuff so far. (2 years)

Old 25-11-2009, 08:12   #33
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The C80 range (that's what I have too) is a Raytheon product. Mine are labelled Raytheon and the Raymarine's were just re-labelled. The "black" wheel pilots are the Autohelm units; the silver ones were the first Raymarine ones I saw and I think are a bit better, but just a bit. I've watched them grinding and deforming/close to bursting while working at 4-6' waves at sea, not an assuring sight. I've also had to pick up the pieces from the cockpit floor so I stand by my opinion that it's just a toy.

About WH: Will's lack of response on Email is the reason we went for Simrad/Robertson instead but we still have the WH pilot for backup. It lasts.

So it seems that support is better in the UK and I guess EU. I think many of those business units might be the ex Autohelm clubs?

Other responses are as I expected: defend them even now and already state it'll be good for long after the're dead. Almost sounds like every good product needs it's manufacturer to go belly up at least once (like Rolls Royce). Sure I have an axe to grind: they treated me like **** and cost me a lot of money. In my book, when a manufacturer admits a product is flawed and takes it off the market, they need to compensate the customers who already bought that unit, help them to solve their problem. They just told me to throw it away and buy the new model at full cost. Now, I know many find that acceptable practice, but I don't and I don't understand the people that do.

I'm not in love with Garmin either and I'm able to find reasons not to buy it. But if the features and spec's of their products are all you need, you get good quality and good service. I don't even know how old my GPS12 handheld unit is but it just keeps working!

cheers,
Nick.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:35   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Bottom line: We apparently choose to believe what we wish, reject what we dislike, and live the way we are going to anyway. Some folks are more open, and occasionally get burned and dazzled. Others more reserved and less often giggle and cry. Sometimes it's best to simply avoid trying to change attitudes or behaviors. I think this thread has served its purpose. On to more entertaining stuff.......
Old 25-11-2009, 09:14   #35

Boat: gozzard 44
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Raymarine E-Wide hands-on #1, & money talk

Ben Ellison writes about Raymarine on his panbo.com website.
It seems that Raymarine has a rather large amount of debt but I hope they can struggle through this slowdown as they have good products...maybe hire a few more customer support people.

Ronbo
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14   #36
cruiser

Boat: Bermuda 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Sounds like the problem was not enough cash flow to service debt. It appears they owe about $150 million, probably incurred in buying the company from Raytheon.

If someone were to buy the company out of bankruptcy and wipe out the debt, they would probably be a going concern. Certainly be worth a couple mil to someone. I'd like to see them back in the US, but that may not be likely.

Too bad, I've had one of their belowdecks autopilots as a key crew member for a long time, never a hiccup.
Which drive do you have ? Did they have to shorten tiller arm when they installed yours ? Saw your boat this fall on the dock in SWH. Nice boat.
Old 01-12-2009, 14:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmac View Post
Which drive do you have ? Did they have to shorten tiller arm when they installed yours ? Saw your boat this fall on the dock in SWH. Nice boat.
I've got the linear drive, doesn't hinder the helm at all (that I can feel) with the AP off. I don't think they shortened the arm, but they do a lot of their own fabrication. It's a hell for stout installation.

Thanks for the compliment, she looks OK so long as no one sails in with a B-40 with a tall rig.
Old 01-12-2009, 14:46   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
For once I seemed to have bailed out a share just in the nick of time. Have a couple of friends who work in the Portsmouth offices. Seems that whilst the Garmin option isn't dead, if it does go ahead it could take months and months which RM may not have.

Moving into brand new posh buildings just at the start of a world wide recession may not have been the smartest move. Getting rid of the production staff and moving it to Hungary might have saved a few bob but what happens to QA?

The best hope at the moment is the bank calls time on the management, (CEO already gone). Share holders take the hit, someone else comes in and starts again with the assets but without the debts. The brand will stay, just not under the current owners.

Pete
Old 01-12-2009, 15:02   #39
cruiser

Boat: Bermuda 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
I've got the linear drive, doesn't hinder the helm at all (that I can feel) with the AP off. I don't think they shortened the arm, but they do a lot of their own fabrication. It's a hell for stout installation.

Thanks for the compliment, she looks OK so long as no one sails in with a B-40 with a tall rig.
I did sail in and was on the float behind your boat. I would never compare.
I asked about linear drive because I had to shorten tiller arm on mine about 25 %. I used the Type 2 long linear drive but at recommended installed tiller length it restricted steering to 35 degrees. Had to shorten tiller arm to be able to turn 45 degrees. Drive torque reduced to 11,000 in/lbs in this setup. Calculated max rudder torque for my boat was 8750 in/lbs. I looked after my own install.
Old 13-12-2009, 13:32   #40

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
In my dreams I suppose ;-) It's 13" and right here: Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

I would love to find a good quality 10" laptop with the specs that meet the MaxSea TimeZero requirements.

cheers,
Nick.
Nick,

We're in the process of updating the electronics on our new (to us) boat. I'm pretty much decided to go with Furuno 3D and Max time zero, now wondering about what laptop to get. Did you decide that Apple can be configured for Max Time Zero?
Old 13-12-2009, 20:48   #41
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yes, the mac books and mac mini meet the specs for both CPU (dual core) and video (NVIDIA). You will have to install windows on the laptop and I don't know yet if windows 7 is fully supported... check panbo.com.

I would first get a mac mini and if you feel you really need to walk around with a radar/chart display, add a macbook.

The requirements for MaxSea TZ are listed so it's easy to check if the computer meets that. Pls. don't go and buy just on what I write here because I am doing most from memory and maybe there's an entry level macbook that doesn't meet the req's... better check if the one you want can do it yourself ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
Old 15-12-2009, 01:07   #42

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53', Jonathan
Send a message via Skype™ to cvdhwoe
Hi,

I just read this about Raymarine's fate

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6924274.ece

Hopefully there will be a buyer. I used my linear drive for 10 years now and need some spares.

Claus
Old 15-12-2009, 09:30   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
As the owner of - literally - a boat-load of Raymarine products, it was easy to see this one coming. The arrogance of the company with its products and the really lousy and expensive customer service make it easy for folks like me to choose the alternative when upgrading. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".
Old 15-12-2009, 09:46   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
bstreep, you got an E120 you want to get rid of cheap?
Old 15-12-2009, 10:40   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I'm not spending a dime I don't have to on electronics until we take off. And I don't yet know when that will be.

Tags
raymarine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: