Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 10:08   #1
cruiser

Raymarine "i" Series

I am evaluating the replacement of all electronics, my eyes are fallen on the new Raymarine "i" serie. It seems they are now realy NMEA 2000 compatible and can communicate with other manufacters NMEA 2000 hardware.

I'm thinking of a NMEA 2000 backbone with a SPX-5 wheel autopilot. At the helm a RM i70 Multi Display for Wind, Depth, Speed and Temp. a RM P70 AP Control Head and a Garmin GPSMAP 720 Plotter.

The Speed, Depth and Wind Transducers connected to the NMEA 2000 network through a RM iTC-5.

My older Garmin GPSMAP 620 and OpenCPN PC connected to the NMEA 2000 network through a Actisense NGW-1

Advantage, only one cable running through the boat and almost everything connected to a modern CAN Network.

My worries; How good will the GPSMAP 620 and OpenCPN work....

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 07:07   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Raymarine "i" Series

This past summer I connecting the spx5 to a Garmin 4208 with the NMEA 2000 backbone. I could see the pilot and compass from the Garmin but when I tried to GOTO a waypoint I would get the message "No Navigation Data on the Pilot control head. When I talked to Raymarine as well as Garmin both pointed to the othe company as having a problem. After some investigation I learned that Garmin does some funny things with there navigation date. I ended up connecdting the Garmin to the spx5 with the nmea 183 data.

Good luck
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 07:09   #3

I would also look at the e7 from Raymarine. This is a great unit and gives you more growth in the future.
Old 26-11-2012, 07:52   #4
cruiser

Tanks George, it did past my mind. The problem with this unit is that its so new that I can't find user experiences.

But I must reconsider as value for money is super on this unit.

For the Speed, Depth and Temp. Transducers I reconsider for the Airmar DST800 Bronze Thru-Hull Depth, Speed & Temp With NMEA 2000 Output

Blue Heron Marine

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 16:10   #5

I have used the Airmar DST800 nmea2000 unit before and it works great. As for the RM e7, I would goto the Raymarine Forum to see what people have to say about the new e and c series as well as interfacing to the spx 5. This forum is great and has lot of good information. You can also send a question into one of the catagories as well as a drawing showing what you want to do. I have spent lots of time on this site to get questions answered.

george
Old 26-11-2012, 16:30   #6

Boat: 39 Bruce Roberts Pilot house Sloop

Any navionics out there yet that display and communicate on an Ipad...avionics have done it but have not seen the marine side go that way yet...thanks
Daveineugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 17:03   #7

The Ramarine e and c series can display and/or control from the ipad or android using wifi. The ap is free if you go to the raymarine website. I have seen it in operation and it works great. If you are only looking for an ap that will display navionics marine chart data that ap is available from i believe Navionics
Old 26-11-2012, 17:37   #8

Boat: 39 Bruce Roberts Pilot house Sloop

Looks good...thanks for the the tip!
Daveineugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

Just a tip on the two apps- Raymarine is free for as a viewer on the new e&c units. there is a cost for it to be working as a functional repeater. With the navinincs app you can transfer, Waypoint and Tracks back and forth from the units to your smart pad or phone.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine