Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 01:00   #91

Thumbs up Re: Raymarine Gyro Sensor Upgrade for $25

[QUOTE=sebba;2848863]you have the chip or the evaluation board?

Hi Sebba,

Many thanks for your posts.

To use the Digital Output Sensor with TX 4800Bps, do you think you can connect to the "NMEA In" port? or do I always need to convert to analog and plug to Gyro1 port?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/SIN12...OrigTitle=true

or just buy one std. analog device like this one;

Sensors from Modern Robotics (SKU: 45-2004 ) Rate Gyro - Measure rate of rotation using Analog Sensor

best regards
J
JHenriques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 22:53   #92

Boat: Gib'Sea 43
Re: Raymarine Gyro Sensor Upgrade for $25

first of all, sorry for my extremely late reply... i was on the water almost all the time and had not too much occasions to came online

as far as i see here: https://wiki.wit-motion.com/english/...anual_v1.0.pdf I think an arduino will be need-it to convert it's output to NMEA.

the other device, from Modern Robotics, have an analog output but the voltage is 1.4v, lower than you need it for connecting directly to the Raymarine course computer and you will need a voltage multiplier for that, so will be the same "issue" like for enc03r device
Old 24-02-2020, 04:29   #93

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2009), # 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebba View Post
Your "data raymarine" yellow wire should be on pin 2 rateout, not 7
Pins 8 and 12 are both on gnd, this is ok.
Same, pin 13, for 5v power is ok

I only got the EVAL-ADXRS624 to work properly, if I also connect "Vratio"/Pin7 to my 5,17V USB power supply (one may temperature compensate the sensor by varying Vratio, but it has to be in the range of 5V to deliver an output of around 2.5V at Pin2, as required by the SmartPilot (2.44V in my case @ 19°C room temperature)).

Furthermore, the Pins have to be up / Sensor chip upside down to make voltage DECREASE when boat is turning starboard, as required by the SmartPilot acc. to another post (see 1st picture).

So I have Pin1, Pin7 and Pin13 connected to 5V.
Not sure Pin1 connection is mandatory, but it doesn't do any harm (so far ;-)

Pictures of quick'n'dirty test setup attached (Gyro can only be tested as of July this year anyway :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_125055.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	209338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_125215.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	209339  

Name:	20200224_125356.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	209340  
seelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 05:44   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martenhaven View Post
Thanks!!!

Updated the drawing for anyone who want to use the EVAL-ADXRS624Z for their Seatalk (ramarine) autopilot. Now I need to just figure out which side should be up and wait for launch day.
Did it all work in the end? I'm looking at doing the same thing as I haven't found a better chip/board to do it.
hanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 16:41   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelka View Post
I only got the EVAL-ADXRS624 to work properly, if I also connect "Vratio"/Pin7 to my 5,17V USB power supply (one may temperature compensate the sensor by varying Vratio, but it has to be in the range of 5V to deliver an output of around 2.5V at Pin2, as required by the SmartPilot (2.44V in my case @ 19°C room temperature)).

Furthermore, the Pins have to be up / Sensor chip upside down to make voltage DECREASE when boat is turning starboard, as required by the SmartPilot acc. to another post (see 1st picture).

So I have Pin1, Pin7 and Pin13 connected to 5V.
Not sure Pin1 connection is mandatory, but it doesn't do any harm (so far ;-)

Pictures of quick'n'dirty test setup attached (Gyro can only be tested as of July this year anyway :-(

This setup successfully passed Raymarine S3 Autopilot's "Seatrial Calibration" in 8 steps, however, the Fluxgate Compass went completely mad afterwards (headings going randomly through all 360°) and Autopilot kept steering violently to port...

I now found out the standby output voltage (= boat not turning anywhere) needs to be around 2V according to earlier posts, NOT 2.5V as stated from false memory above -- apologies!

I therefore added a diode to Pin7 (V ratio), now bringing the standby output voltage down to 2.09V, which will hopefully work better during next sea trial calibration end of August. I did not have a diode aboard, hence the delay...

Will report the outcome (if they'll then still let tourist sailors in and out of Spain)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200726_235604.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	220051   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200726_235705.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	220052  

Name:	20200727_000330.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	220053  
Old 27-07-2020, 14:05   #96

Bad news: I went through most of the older threads about this issue again (including the 1st written in French by Fulup): most of them claim the standby voltage should be around 2.5V, so the setup I just tested was pretty close. But there are posts claiming it should be around 2.0V...

However, it looks like the only solution for this kind of problem (Fluxgate compass going mad after 'successful' Gyro Seatrial Calibratiion) could be an update to the latest SmartPilot firmware. And for this purpose, it seems you have to send the SmartPilot in to Raymarine --- IF they still touch it at all (no downloadable Software for S1 to S3 models in "legacy products" on their webpage, although update should have worked via a serial connection to the NMEA ports).

And even worse: a look into the SmartPilot S1 Service Manual shows in 2005, they expect you to re-solder (!) tiny SMD resistors on the S3 model for some different kind of Raymarine supplied Gyro (older model discontinued), and you may have guessed it: no idea whether this ADXRS624Z Gyro evaluation board we're discussing here is similar to one of the Gyro types mentioned by Raymarine.

For the S1 and S1G(!) model, they claim you might have to resolder an SMD capacitor, if your Fluxgate is going mad. It might not happen, though, depending on how well the wrongly polarized (!) capacitor meets its specs...

Not sure I'm willing to carry on this fight after the many hours I already spent on this (my S3 should date back to 2009, so this might mean...what?!). If I do, I'll post results here.

But for sure test I'll test it with my current idle voltage of 2.09V.
Old 13-11-2020, 07:14   #97

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelka View Post
Bad news: I went through most of the older threads about this issue again (including the 1st written in French by Fulup): most of them claim the standby voltage should be around 2.5V, so the setup I just tested was pretty close. But there are posts claiming it should be around 2.0V...

However, it looks like the only solution for this kind of problem (Fluxgate compass going mad after 'successful' Gyro Seatrial Calibratiion) could be an update to the latest SmartPilot firmware. And for this purpose, it seems you have to send the SmartPilot in to Raymarine --- IF they still touch it at all (no downloadable Software for S1 to S3 models in "legacy products" on their webpage, although update should have worked via a serial connection to the NMEA ports).

And even worse: a look into the SmartPilot S1 Service Manual shows in 2005, they expect you to re-solder (!) tiny SMD resistors on the S3 model for some different kind of Raymarine supplied Gyro (older model discontinued), and you may have guessed it: no idea whether this ADXRS624Z Gyro evaluation board we're discussing here is similar to one of the Gyro types mentioned by Raymarine.

For the S1 and S1G(!) model, they claim you might have to resolder an SMD capacitor, if your Fluxgate is going mad. It might not happen, though, depending on how well the wrongly polarized (!) capacitor meets its specs...

Not sure I'm willing to carry on this fight after the many hours I already spent on this (my S3 should date back to 2009, so this might mean...what?!). If I do, I'll post results here.

But for sure test I'll test it with my current idle voltage of 2.09V.

Hello Seelka,

I had put the Seymo on my RM 100 AP and it didn’t finalise the steps of calibration the way it is explained in their doc (the sea trial did not show up on the 6000+ monitor). I thought it wouldn’t matter and yet did not have much possibility to test. What I experienced though was a DriveStop fail several times at erratic occasions. Not sure if it would be related, boat is going out of the water so will need to check this by disconnecting it ... after the winter.
Curious to hear about your experience though
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:50   #98

Hi Quebramar,
I meanwhile got an original RM Gyro to test and compare (they currently sell for EUR 80-100 on the 2nd hand market).

Idle output voltage is 2.5V, temporarily going to approx. 0.5 and 4.0V respectively when turning the unit.

However, due to Covid19 restrictions, my boat will only be back in the water mid May 2021 -- hopefully...!

Will certainly post outcome when available.
Old 13-11-2020, 10:06   #99

Boat: Najad 373

Thanks. Good to know. I’ll measure the voltage on mine the next time I am aboard.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:30   #100

Hi, state of the art? I have buy a s1 and I would ad a gyro for improve navigation...
masa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:19   #101

Boat: Bavaria 32 Cruiser

I have on extra analog gyro sensor ADXRS620 available if someone is interested.
It was bought 2017 and was never installed because I sold the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gyrosensor1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	238055  
alaite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gyro, raymarine