Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 08:14   #1

Boat: Westerly Conway 36`
Raymarine EV-100 connection to linear drive unit.

I have a question about the possibility of connecting a new drive unit to the Raymarine ev-100 system.
I have a complet EV-100 autopilot system (computer, sensor, P70R control), and .... plus some antique wheel drive from AUTOHELM (and after 10,000 nm solo sailing, begins to die).
I would not like to install another wheel drive unit (EV-100 Sail wheel drive dedicated to the system), opinions about it are not the best and the yacht's displacement is on the border.

My problem is that the Ev-100 computer has no clutch output.
I also would not like to buy a new course computer.
But I would like to mount a linear drive unit to an existing system.

Of course, Raymarine says it can't be done
But .....
1) Is there any way to hack the lack of this clutch output from the computer to the clutch (electromagnetic as I think in most Linear Drive). Is it an ON / OFF type output or does it dynamically turn on the drive during autopilot mode?
2) Raymarine has in its offer EV-100 with a hydraulic pump, whether it gives a chance for installing a linear hydraulic drive (for example B&G Hydraulic Rams).
Tamasine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:45   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Raymarine EV-100 connection to linear drive unit.

Obviously the clutch signal can be taken care of with a fused connection and toggle switch connected to 12 volts.

Raymarine is a little loose with the facts on the drive power capabilities. I am using an X-5 to drive an old Benmar rotary drive unit. I used to drive it with an old 4000 wheel pilot unit. The drive bridge transistors in the old 4000 unit carried a 40 amp rating.

The RM X-5 carries a nominal drive current rating of 6 amps continuous and looks to produce an error message at 10 amps. Uses the same transistors as the old 4000. Obviously the drive curent is related to rudder forces. If your yacht is easy on the helm, might get away with it.

You can always build your own power drive stage if a little handy with electronics.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linear drive, marine, raymarine