Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 19:58   #1

Boat: C & C - 37
Raymarine E80 to T.V. connection

I am a new member and looking for some assistance.
Has anyone had experience interfacing the display output from an E80 Chartplotter display to an LCD T.V. The connection requires a converter to synchronize the output scale to match the T.V. format. I would like to hear from anyone who has had success in selecting a compatible converter.
Harvey
hbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15   #2

I have seen it done, but I believe it was from an E80 to one of those TVs which also can act as PC monitor (with appropriate inputs) so no converter needed. Is that an option for you?
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
I use Raynav and associated adapters to tie into the Sea Talk and HSB buss of my Raymarine equipment to a built in desktop computer. This allows me to view the radar, chartplotter and instrument data on the LCD screen I have attached to the built-in. Works VERY well. It has the advantage that I can do route plotting and send it directly to the chartplotter/Autopilot. I also can see Radar, position and route data real-time on the LCD.

The HSB interface is a PCMCIA card. The SeatTalk interface is connected to a serial port of the computer.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 13:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 37 - Island Flyer
sorry - off subject - Strygaldwir (Welsh?) Seatalk is proprietary bus yes? Do you know where I can find specs? I can port my laptaop maptech display to my LCD TV, but can't seem to get much data from NMEA or Seatalk to my laptop. With respect for others, should I start a new thread (i'm a newbie).

Mike
islandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 13:29   #5

Mike;

Yes SeaTalk is proprietary. It is Raymarine's version of NMEA. They use it for communication between there primary instruments. It basically contains equivalent sentences, but the format is different. They make a small interface box that converts the data back and forth between NMEA and SeaTalk. The data on the SeaTalk side is info like wind speed and direction, course, position, water speed, even autopilot control information.

Their HSB stands for High Speed Bus is Raymarines way of transmitting Very large amounts of data. It has things like Radar and chart plotter images. There is no good way to get at this data, that I am aware of, asside from Raymarines interface.

Raymarines newest GPS (Raystar 125) puts out both NMEA and SeaTalk Sentences. The Raystar 120 puts out either one of the two protocols. You had to purchase the appropriate antenna. Before that, I believe they were SeaTalk only. All recent (last 10 years or so) Raymarine equipment will except either protocol. As a matter of fact, both protocols can be present. If the Autopilot sees both, it will use the NMEA data and discard the SeaTalk sentences. Go figure...

More information can be found at Raymarine Marine Electronics especially in their support areas.

If you have one of their chart plotter/Radar units, E, C or RL, you can tap the output directly into a RS232 serial port. I believe they give wiring instructions on their website.

You think we never stray off topic here at CF! You are a newbie!:cubalibre Just poking fun. Welcome. There are great folks here.

Keith
Old 11-04-2007, 13:33   #6

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
seatalk is just 3 wires which you can join together anywhere in a chain as you add instruments etc. As far as your laptop, there is a cord that has the required ends on it to connect from your Raymarine multifunction display unit to the laptop or from the Seatalk system using the RS232 Interface Unit - go to the Raymarine site and the 'Customer Support' section and then click on the installation manuel of the mulifunction display unit that you now own. Scroll through the pages until you get to the diagrams and text outlining the use of a laptop as part of the integrated system.

Hope this helps
Old 11-04-2007, 13:56   #7

ya mon,

thanx fer the data guys. Yeah, i grok RS232 and have been feeding NMEA data (albeit from the GPS) to my laptop running Maptech Ocean Navigator for lo these many years. The actual situation is this:
I installed a new Raymarine autopilot computer/driver maybe two years ago. Well, after it CAUGHT FIRE!!! and I shipped it back to NH for a new one, everything worked fine (oh, I forgot to mention, I was still using the old (1995) display unit as controller. ok, still worked fine THEN display/controller took a dump in the dark within spitting distance of a lee shore which happened to be the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. That new rudder driver fought me, I'll tell you!! Robo-suicide urge of some sort.
Anyhow, safe at Rebel Marine in Norfolk (Great Place to take a breather goin' North/South) got new 6002 display unit and jacked it in to existing SeaTalk bus. Worked like a champ. For about 3 months. Then crapped out in the Bahamas. Sent it back. They sent new one. That crapped out in Georgetown. Sent THAT one back. This being the Bahamas, it got lost on a mailboat somewhere. So... bought NEW 6002. Hey, the way these things die, a spare seemed prudent. Well THAT one started acting up so removed EVERY old device from SeaTalk bus. Well, ya know, the 6002 is acting better. Does anybody know of a legacy problem with older RayMarine Seatalk devices. Oops, i just notoced, this is a "quick reply" box. Talk about "off subject".
Mike
Old 11-04-2007, 14:12   #8

No issues, but! a couple of suggestions. Do you have the chokes that come with the cables. Make sure you have these mounted on the cables, the will cut down on interference issues. The second thing, make sure the power cables to your corepack are large and corrossion free. Make sure the power cables between the corepack and the drive actuator are corrossion free. If the corepack sees an undervoltage condition, it will reset causing the unit to come back up in stand-by. Most annoying. I sure you're okay, but how many instruments do you have attached? The buss only has so much power available to it, so may have to have multiple power connections, depending on how many instruments, AWG of the cable, length.... you know the drill. The point being, the instruments can be sensitve to voltage fluctuations. Especially with the drive motor being so energy intensive.

Are you sure it is the 6002? I had a wind instrument die on me and it looked like the other instruments on the buss were having issues. I took the wind instrument out of the buss and everything else worked just fine.
Old 11-04-2007, 14:20   #9

Wow, I LIKE this discussion board thing. Wish I had WiFi out in the Blue....

You make sense. That is, you sound like ME!! But, wisdom bears repeating. I wish I had more ferrites. I'm in the boonies right now (Turks and Caicos) so can't waltz down to Radio Shack. I've clamped what I have on the 6002 (now seperate from rest) SeaTalk cable. Your point about voltage dip under drive loading is well taken, but this sucker was glitchin at ANCHOR! AND full batteries.

Also, your point about the other instruments echoe my thoughts. SO: the older stuff is OFF the SeaTalk bus (except for +12V). Like I said, so far so good (3 whole days!)

Mike

Tags
raymarine